Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400 billet shaft/drum...sub 1krwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Th400 billet shaft/drum...sub 1krwhp?

Couple weeks ago I had rear end yoke let go during a hard launch at the track, so I'm going to take a look at the transmission here soon. While I'm in it, going to go ahead and do a 4 clutch intermediate as I think I'm exceeding it's holding capacity. Now, as far as the input/forward drum....on a car that makes 745/1045, would I high end billet setup be like putting wheelie bars on a prius...as in completely unnecessary? I guess one could say just do it since you're already in the transmission, but they piece I'm looking at is over $600....not exactly cheap. Basically, I don't want to be buying high end pieces if the stocker is more than adequate.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I would upgrade, But not with a $600 dollar shaft & drum, Eliminating the under cut's in the shaft alone does quite a bit in the strength department. I think this would be a good match for what your doing at half the price......http://www.ckperformance.com/View/CO...SHAFT-AND-DRUM
Old 08-16-2017, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I would upgrade, But not with a $600 dollar shaft & drum, Eliminating the under cut's in the shaft alone does quite a bit in the strength department. I think this would be a good match for what your doing at half the price......http://www.ckperformance.com/View/CO...SHAFT-AND-DRUM
I went and looked, nice piece. Question though, being that the input shaft is larger than oem...will it still work with a standard converter?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

It is only oversized at the Forward drum, It's a drop in replacement for a stock Shaft & Drum,
Old 08-17-2017, 06:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by clinebarger
It is only oversized at the Forward drum, It's a drop in replacement for a stock Shaft & Drum,
Silly me, not sure why I thought the converter side of the shaft would be bigger too. As you can tell, I'm still a rookie.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your power level the stock hard parts are going to be fine.

If the car leaves super hard and is heavy, ya the input and forward hub could be replaced.
but lots of guys run bottom 9s with the stock parts in f bodies. or faster if the cars light
Old 08-17-2017, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tittan1500

If the car leaves super hard and is heavy, ya the input and forward hub could be replaced.
but lots of guys run bottom 9s with the stock parts in f bodies. or faster if the cars light
It definitely leaves hard and is heavy. I think I'm going to do the input shaft/forward drum.....but stay with the stock intermediate shaft. Having Already done the 4L80 direct, and after this forward drum upgrade (barring anymore driveline failures) I hope to run this transmission for many years to come.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by tittan1500

I managed to break a TH400 NA... so power alone isn't always the defining factor.

After breaking a stock unit I waited for FTI's black Friday sale and got their Level 4.5 for a good deal and never had another issue despite doubling the horsepower. Their build consists of the following rated to 1100HP:

-Race prepped factory Chevy case
-FTI Billet aluminum transbrake valvebody
-Reverse shift pattern
-Billet aluminum drum
-34 element sprague
-300M Material input shaft
-BIllet forward clutch hub
-Race material clutches
-Deep aluminum pan
Old 08-17-2017, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
I managed to break a TH400 NA... so power alone isn't always the defining factor.

After breaking a stock unit I waited for FTI's black Friday sale and got their Level 4.5 for a good deal and never had another issue despite doubling the horsepower. Their build consists of the following rated to 1100HP:

-Race prepped factory Chevy case
-FTI Billet aluminum transbrake valvebody
-Reverse shift pattern
-Billet aluminum drum
-34 element sprague
-300M Material input shaft
-BIllet forward clutch hub
-Race material clutches
-Deep aluminum pan
Nice! That 300M input shaft(1100HP rated) is also oversized at the drum as you guys mentioned above.

Here's a link to that input drum with the option to upgrade to our ERMET input shaft and drum that's rated to 2000HP!

http://ftiperformance.com/TH400-Inpu...?categoryId=-1
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 08-17-2017, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
Nice! That 300M input shaft(1100HP rated) is also oversized at the drum as you guys mentioned above.

Here's a link to that input drum with the option to upgrade to our ERMET input shaft and drum that's rated to 2000HP!

http://ftiperformance.com/TH400-Inpu...?categoryId=-1
Just curious, but is your rating based on crank horsepower? Not that I'm anywhere near that though, just wondering about the method used.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, you should check out ProformanceRacingTransmission. They make 400 that will handle abuse, even with their Stage 1. I'm waiting for mine that their conveniently 30 minutes from me in Woodstock, Illinois.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BOLO
FWIW, you should check out ProformanceRacingTransmission. They make 400 that will handle abuse, even with their Stage 1. I'm waiting for mine that their conveniently 30 minutes from me in Woodstock, Illinois.
Thanks man, But I build my own transmissions.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Just curious, but is your rating based on crank horsepower? Not that I'm anywhere near that though, just wondering about the method used.
Yessir, all of our ratings are at the crank!
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Quick Reply: Th400 billet shaft/drum...sub 1krwhp?