Sponsored by:

4l80e swap, won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e swap, won't crank

Hey guys,
Did some searching, no help, I do find 90% of my questions answered that route , anyways I got a 2009 Silverado 1500 (had 4.8l 4l60 stock). I swapped in a 08 ly6 and a 4l80e, I used a plug and play harness from a company called PCM of NC and it is supposed to take care of the wiring. Anyways, long story short I adjusted my tune as nessesary and went to start it, it wouldn't even crank.

I thought it was battery, boosted, still no, checked connections to starter, they all look good. I did paint a lot of the parts on the engine and starter, everything basically, maybe a ground problem? But I am leaning toward the trans shift Indicator- there is NO Way to tell what gear I'm in, I can see the PNRD321 but there is no line below like there was before with the old trans?

It also is behaving exactly like it would if it were in Gear, all the lights, everything is normal , just won't crank.

Any ideas?
Old 10-01-2017, 09:47 PM
Teching In

It appears I got the wrong harness from pcm of nc. I could
Have avoided it if I woulda asked more questions. I think I may have found a solution, I'll post the answer for future reference.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

You need a external Neutral Safety/Range Switch on a 4L80E, 2009 4L60E's had it mounted to the manual shift shaft in the pan.

Last edited by clinebarger; 10-11-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Teching In

My 4l60 didn't have that thing mounted externally. It was an internal set up. That's what scares me... I couldn't get ahold of
The company I got my harness from. The site says they make a harness for the 2009-2012 style. But I don't know if they mean harness or trans. I'll call them again tomorrow, weren't there today.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Default Success

success! She fired right up. The problem was the hRness. I didn't have any way for the bcm to see what gear it was in. Pcm of nc had the harness I needed, it came with the external gear selector switch ( they call it an internal??!, weird). It was everything I needed to make it run. Thanks for the replies guys!!!

Fyi 2009 is when the 4l60 went to an internal gear switch selector. If you swap a 4l80 (all 4l80 trans had EXTERNAL switches. ) you need the later style harness, it has a pigtail to plug into the switch, and you can buy the switch right beside the harness . Bolt it and plug it, change the parameters in hptuner and good to go.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad you got it!
Old 12-08-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny_B
success! She fired right up. The problem was the hRness. I didn't have any way for the bcm to see what gear it was in. Pcm of nc had the harness I needed, it came with the external gear selector switch ( they call it an internal??!, weird). It was everything I needed to make it run. Thanks for the replies guys!!!

Fyi 2009 is when the 4l60 went to an internal gear switch selector. If you swap a 4l80 (all 4l80 trans had EXTERNAL switches. ) you need the later style harness, it has a pigtail to plug into the switch, and you can buy the switch right beside the harness . Bolt it and plug it, change the parameters in hptuner and good to go.

hey bro I’m going threw the same thing right now how did you go about plugging in the NSS did you have to do any repining or just aplico into old transmission loom and if so what color wires were the ones for the plug I have same truck as well 2009 Silverado 2wd but did the 4l80 since ima go with 88mm single turbo on this work truck lol

Quick Reply: 4l80e swap, won't crank