Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e won't shift out of 2nd gear and rapid rpm drops

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e won't shift out of 2nd gear and rapid rpm drops

Hoping someone can give me an idea what may be wrong so I can possibly order some parts before I pull the trans and keep the down time to a minimum.

My trans is only using 1st, 2nd and reverse gears at the moment.
Reverse works flawlessly.
1st gear works fine however it's rough shifting into 2nd. I have to get the rpms to 4k+ and then let off the gas for a couple seconds to let it shift. If I keep the throttle pressed passed 4k it will continue to stay in 1st. Once it shifts, it gives the vehicle a little jolt (nothing too serious but definitely not smooth) and into 2nd it goes. (When engaged both 1st and 2nd gear are working well enough to still give good power transfer, if I push the throttle all the way down I get good response, enough to still chirp tires and no slippage in my rpms)

Once in 2nd gear when I get to the point of needing 3rd gear the trans will drop the rpms slightly like it's going to shift but then just stays right in 2nd. I've taken 2nd up to 75mph and still no shifting despite the high rpms.

If I manually move the shifter into 3rd gear while driving it will act like it's in neutral till the rpms get to about 4.5k then I can feel it actually engage but there's not much power behind it.
Manually shifting into 2nd gear does the same thing.
Manually shifting into 1st works just as it should.

There is no grinding or abnormal noises coming from the engine or trans.

All fuses are good, I pulled the trans pan and replaced the filter and both shift solenoids, but the problem remains the same.

I considered bad clutch packs but was told if that was the issue it would complete a shift from 2nd to 3rd but act as if it was in neutral till i manually shifted back into 2nd, which has not happened to me yet...

Any ideas?

Last edited by Nyvark627; 10-20-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Was the fluid burnt when you changed it. You can unplug the big round electrical connector on the passenger side of the trans. If the trans will pull the car with the connector unplugged the 3-4 clutch is holding.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bbond105
Was the fluid burnt when you changed it. You can unplug the big round electrical connector on the passenger side of the trans. If the trans will pull the car with the connector unplugged the 3-4 clutch is holding.
I believe it was yes, was definitely black and didn't smell the best. And i'll try unplugging that tonight. What exactly does that connector plug into/ control?
Old 10-14-2017, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bbond105
It will still pull forward.....But in 1st gear because the Forward Clutch is "On" if the 3-4's are smoked.

It still may take off in 3rd because full "Torque Signal" is being applied to the boost valve.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by clinebarger
It will still pull forward.....But in 1st gear because the Forward Clutch is "On" if the 3-4's are smoked.

It still may take off in 3rd because full "Torque Signal" is being applied to the boost valve.
Alright, so unplugging the connector made no change in performance.
However, there is something else I forgot to mention (didn't really notice it before)
But whenever I release the throttle my RPMS instantly drop to idle rpm around 900-1100.
If i'm going 65mph at 4500 rpm and release throttle my rpms go to 1k and I my speed slowly gets slower. When I give it throttle again it free revs in the lower RPM range until the RPMS match my current speed then it engages and picks up speed again.
​​Every vehicle i've driven i've never had an issue of rpms dropping down that far, instead just gradually getting lower as my speed got lower so i'm a little lost lol.

any new ideas?

thanks!
Old 10-21-2017, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From what I've read on here, it doesn't look good.
I hope I'm wrong.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's time for a tranny rebuild!!! Your clutch pack that makes it go into third is donezo. It happens all of the time on these 4l60's. I put a trans in my camaro, my silverado, and my avalanche. They always seem to go out closer to 150k miles.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes sounds like Trans is done 3-4 clutch failure likely and in 2nd gear OD position there would be no engine braking you would rev up till you catch up and when released would drop way back down ,

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: 4l60e won't shift out of 2nd gear and rapid rpm drops