Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sonnax custom roller clutch race

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sonnax custom roller clutch race

Hello,
I am overhauling a 2003 4L60E. I purchased sonnax smart shell 77749-02K kit which comes with a custom roller clutch race which is almost 1/4 inch narrower than the stock part. Will this affect any associated tolerances such as end play? I contacted sonnax and they said the size of their race was to allow for the installation of the included thrust bearing. I removed from my transmission, in addition to the stock race, a thrust bearing and a thrust washer (from the factory). So the smart shell will sit quite a bit lower in the case.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2017, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My endplay was within spec in my '96 4l60e after following all their directions in the kit. I didn't check it before the rebuild, so I can't say if it affected endplay.

Last edited by coryforsenate; 11-02-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I have had several Smart Shell's alter end-play by .005" or more looser than when I tore the unit down.

I prefer to bring the entire geartrain up & use a thinner selectable on the Input Drum IF needed. Opposed to shimming the OE selectable/Thicker selectable between the input drum & stator bearing as it increases reverse input drum free play.

Sonnax # 77406-10 installs between the rear reaction carrier support and the case bearing & brings the unit up .010".

Stack the unit up to the front carrier leaving out the Center Support & Output shaft as they do not affect end-play, Though you do need the Lo/Reverse roller clutch race on top of the reaction carrier!
Have the input drum assembled MINUS the 3-4 clutches (The forward sprag assembly & sun gear need to be in place)
Install the selectable & bearing over the input shaft.
Leave the reverse input drum on the bench for this.
Install the pump to case gasket your going to use.
Leave the Pump O-ring off.
Install the Pump.
Lightly tighten tighten the pump bolts.
Check that you at least have SOME end-play!!!!
Torque the pump bolts to 18 ft lbs.

Check end-play.....
Rollerized reaction shaft models (2001 & up) you can run as tight as .003", .008" is ideal in my opinion.
Thrust washer models need at least .005", .010" is ideal.

In my experience.....Using all new Torringtons, With a .010" shim at the back will require use of a "67" or "68" OE selectable.

OE selectable chart......
Old 11-01-2017, 08:39 PM

Wow, that's some great information, thank you! So it does affect end play, would you recommend reinstalling the stock race or going the shim route?
Old 11-01-2017, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onealops
Wow, that's some great information, thank you! So it does affect end play, would you recommend reinstalling the stock race or going the shim route?

You MUST use the Sonnax Lo Roller Race with the Smart Shell, The bearing that replaces the plastic thrust washer is quite a bit thicker so the race has to be shorter, The unused Lugs are also missing to clear the reinforcement collar.
Front means UP when assembling the unit.

You have to realize that the Sonnax Smart Shell uses the Lo Roller Race as a grounding point. The stock Sun Shell grounds to the Reaction Sun Gear snap ring.

In the stock arrangement.....The Lo Roller Race had NO affect on total unit end-play.

With the Smart Shell kit.....The Lo Roller Race HAS affect on total end-play.

Blueprinting end-play is a important step with any trans build & easy to check & adjust when you know what to leave out.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:25 PM

I was wondering if the shell contacted the snap ring. I mention the stock race because there was already a thrust bearing installed on top of the thrust washer. The bearing is a acdelco 24217328, a wider bearing but equal in thickness to the sonnax bearing. I know that sounds strange to have both but that is how it came from the factory and it worked for 225,000 miles.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onealops
I was wondering if the shell contacted the snap ring. I mention the stock race because there was already a thrust bearing installed on top of the thrust washer. The bearing is a acdelco 24217328, a wider bearing but equal in thickness to the sonnax bearing. I know that sounds strange to have both but that is how it came from the factory and it worked for 225,000 miles.
That bearing (24217328) sits on TOP of the Sun Shell & gets reused with the Smart shell (Between the Shell & Reaction Shaft).
Prior to 2001.....There was a Brass 4-tang Thrust Washer at this location.

A Torrington was NEVER present under the Sun Shell on production 4L60E's (Between the Lo Roller Race & Shell), Just the Plastic Thrust Washer to eliminate metal to metal contact when/if the Lo Roller Race floats into the Sun Shell. It would make no sense for GM to run a Torrington on top of the Lo Roller Race.

Stock 4L60E......The Lo Roller Race floats & no axial load is present, Axial load is applied to the Reaction Sun Gear.

Sonnax Smart Shell......The Reaction Sun Gear floats, Axial load is applied to the Lo Roller Race.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:18 PM

You are absolutely right on that arrangement. I must have scrambled those parts on the disassembly despite trying to keep everything in order. It is obvious now that 24217328 sits between the reaction carrier shaft and the sun shell, not behind the sun shell. The parts diagram also shows this bearing as item 683 located between the output planet carrier and the rear support carrier. The correct thrust bearing here however, is 8642215. This bearing was included in the Transtar thrust bearing kit, which incidentally includes all the bearings EXCEPT 24217328.

Quick Reply: sonnax custom roller clutch race