Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got off the phone with Green Sales. They don't have the bearing in stock anymore and will likely not be stocking it again.

The next question is, what about using a different torrington bearing. I have several from a busted 4L60.... Looks like one could be made to work but it's going to be more involved machining wise.

Maroon, don't know if this helps but it's a good read on that topic.

http://www.gearsmagazine.com/magazin...4l80-rebuilds/
Old 04-25-2018, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Still slowly working on this 4L80 project. I made it up to the 4th clutch last night. Even managed to bypass the purchase of the $400 lip seal tools to do the 4th clutch!!!

Going to keep pushing on this 4L80 and will post pics etc soon. I've got a lot of em lol.

I gave up on finding the correct Torrington bearing to rollerize the forward hub. Don't think it will matter behind a 400-500 HP application anyways.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad I found this thread. I changed my mind on trying to do this myself. Bravo to you for doing this!
Old 05-09-2018, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You changed your mind because of my thread ??

I've been busy so I haven't been able to breeze through this as fast as I'd like. And, I have purchased ZERO special tools for this job. Instead, I've been fabricating every special tool needed to do a 4L80 as I go which makes it take a little longer still. Overall it's been pretty easy, lots of big beefy parts that are easy to manipulate, not a whole lot of **** you off little parts that are hard to deal with...

All that I lack on finishing this project is the valve body and it will be a done deal. I started on it a couple nights ago and I'm roughly 1/3 of the way done with that so the finish line is in sight!!!

I will post back with the rest of the pictures and descriptions once I'm finished, hopefully it will be a resource to help anyone else who wants to DIY this job.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:18 AM
Teching In

There are a few really good videos on YouTube that show you step by step on rebuilding. Plus the 30 dollar rebuild book is good to. Between the two. It was easy.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-82pdnrz.jpg
Next we will be working on the intermediate clutch apply piston which is seen here in the center cupport. There is a big snap ring that is removed then you can pull out the piston and the spring retainer which sits on top of the piston.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-klbporr.jpg
Here is a pic showing the lip seals on the intermediate piston. You want the lip seals to face DOWN into the bore of the center support.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-dfkspsz.jpg
New lip seals on intermediate piston and lubed with ATF ready to go into the center support bore. Use a gentle twisting motion with even pressure to install most lip seals. You DO NOT want to roll or cute the seals. They are pretty tough from my experience and with a little lube you should be fine but just pay attention to what you're doing.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-gsjed9x.jpg
intermediate piston going in.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-vf9fc6h.jpg
Closeup of the snap ring that retains the spring retainer AND intermediate apply piston in the center support.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-sedcmwh.jpg
Pay attention to the orientation of the lube holes in the center support bushing. Make note of that way it was before removing the old bushing and replicate this on the install of the new one.

I used vise grips to clamp down the spring retainer to get the intermediate piston snap ring installed. You can do this by hand as the springs are fairly weak but if you use vise grips be careful not to bend the spring retainer as it is fairly flimsy steel.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-lio1rdj.jpg
Starting to get some things together on the bench.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-wgp5ynl.jpg
Here are the shims and the Torrington bearing to rollerize the output.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-t2zseug.jpg
Shown are the shims in the bag, and the new Torrington bearing and rear case bushing. Also seen on the left are the 3 tang washer from the rear of the case as well as the thrust washer. These are replaced by the bearing and shims in the rollerizing process.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-8bc0ovr.jpg
Here is the new rear case bushing and the Torrington bearing for rollerizing the output.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-a8oeb06.jpg
Shown is the factory rear case bushing which will be replaced with the one shown above. We will install this bushing so that it portrudes into the inside of the case so as to provide a register for the shims and Torrington bearing

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-aeu2pls.jpg
Another shot of the OEM rear case bushing.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-fv695hc.jpg
This is something I had laying around that I repurposed into a driver for various seals and bushings. In this pic I'm installing the new rear case bushing. Remember, we want it to portrude into the case to provide a register for the shims and bearing going in here. You can knock the bushing back and forth a bit till you get it correct.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-xyi2qob.jpg
Here I am measuring for the correct amount of "stick out" of the new rear case bushing.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-kadsrxt.jpg
Shown here is the bushing. You can see that it portrudes into the case a ways.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-neap2zn.jpg
Here is the new Torrington bearing to rollerize the output. Black side faces DOWN or AGAINST the aluminum of the case.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-mgfxiev.jpg
This silver side faces UP. It should face you once you lay it down into the case and are looking down into the case.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-81qaeaa.jpg
It goes in just like this.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-ezg3d7d.jpg
Here it is installed.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-yny8cnn.jpg
Soak all frictions in ATF then let them dry somewhere for a bit.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-zwll1mx.jpg
This includes the bands.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-vkjfkcd.jpg
With the center support upside down, lay the thrust washer into place and retain with petroleum jelly

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-kteictp.jpg
Clamp some visegrips on the shaft and get ready to lower the rear geartrain into the case to measure rear unit endplay. You can leave the reaction carrier off for this.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-qhgdngt.jpg
You should see the center support bolt hole line up with the corresponding hole in the case once the rear geartrain is in all the way. It is the bolt hole directly above the number 8 cast into the case. Not the threaded hole but the one right above that.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-4rhrr22.jpg
The rear geartrain is in place minus the reaction carrier which we have left off to do some measuring.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-bhojbo0.jpg
Install the center support snapring with the opening facing the 9 o'clock position.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-qlvufhh.jpg
Using a screwdriver you can pry the rear geartrain up and down to measure the rear unit endplay. Select a combination of shims that came with the rollerizing kit to obtain the correct endplay.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-yzih3fy.jpg
Here is one way to mount the dial indicator to measure endplay

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-eqpeaez.jpg
Try to get the dial indicator even and square when placing the tip on the output shaft.

Once you get your unit rear endplay established remove the rear geartrain and set it aside.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-1g5qguw.jpg
Now install the rear seal

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-zs0jjnn.jpg
Followed by the rear snapring

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-gehuhaf.jpg
Install the Low/Revers band into the case paying attention to the "pocket" on the band which is actuated by the servo pin portruding through the valve body side of the case. The other two "pockets" are engaged by case lugs.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-6q3j1ch.jpg
Install the center support spacer snap rings into the case above the band, making sure the opening of the snap ring faces the 9 o'clocl position as you peer into the case.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-sxjbrkp.jpg
Here is the improved intermediate return spring assembly from C/K which replaces the stock one shown previously.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-unrtbbv.jpg
Install a new seal in the center support. This is where the cooler fitting goes.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-vymbcfp.jpg
This is another shot showing the correct orientation of the lip seals on the intermediate piston. They face DOWN into the bore on the center support.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-qgwljps.jpg
Installing the new springs into the intermediate piston

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-k6hjsqn.jpg
The stronger intermediate piston return spring assembly shown left is much beefier than the flimsy stock piece on the right.

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?-laqo6rr.jpg
Another shot showing the difference in the "beefiness".

Last edited by ElQueFør; 07-02-2018 at 02:56 PM.
TECH Enthusiast

Reserved for future use.
TECH Enthusiast

Reserved for future use...
Old 12-13-2018, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Well its been awhile since I have checked back in on this. I will be doing this in the next couple of weeks. I am glad to see what you have posted. Hopefully, you got yours together, and working!
Old 12-22-2018, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes it is in and working great.... On reverse it acts kind of funny but my reading has lead me to believe that I need to check and possibly adjust the length of the reverse servo pin to correct that problem.

I quit posting in this thread because it seemed like no one cared.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We care.

Thanks for sharing.

Juan
Old 12-23-2018, 02:31 PM

Default Of course we care

Excellent post....
Old 01-01-2019, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 539 Likes on 344 Posts

Any post where Clinebarger chimes in, is a great resource.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:53 AM
Teching In

I appreciate the write up! I’m doing a Jake’s stage 3 rebuild in the garage, without special tools. Thank you for the detailed write up. I’m hung up due to a missing thrust bearing. Also due to the purchased transmission was rebuilt but has been sitting outside getting rained on, and now it taking it apart surface rust on most all the “hard parts”.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Default Nice post

Nice pics...keep going. I'm building a 4l80e ...find a lot of thing here!

Last edited by Pylavigne74; 03-04-2019 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Not clear
Old 03-07-2019, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ElQue. Finish this this write up man!
Old 03-19-2019, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess I need to finish this. Seeing how there is at least some interest in it. Durant?! I thought I was the only Okie on here?!

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?