Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 w/ UltraBell - Texas Speed headers - Clearance issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH400 w/ UltraBell - Texas Speed headers - Clearance issues?

hey guys very happy to announce I have ordered all the parts for my Th400 swap on my 2002 Camaro. Ordered almost everything from FTI... they were absolutely outstanding. FTI has earned all of my transmission related business from now on. Bought the new trans crossmember torque arm and rear suspension from MWC.

Discussing with my buddy on installing it all when it shows up ... we realize this is basically a simple bolt in operation, measure driveshaft, tune 4L60 codes out of pcm and roll... only two questions We came up with when talking about it today..

1. Anyone have Texas speed headers and do this swap with the ultra bell? Any clearance issues with this combo?

2. How do I get my VSS input to function again. I did find the option of using wheel speed sensors in front, problem here is my new Strange front drag brake kit deletes those, and my S60 rear was ordered with no ABS/Tcs provisions. Anyone have any input?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

no clearence issues hear. tsp headers fit verry well with my ultra bell housing. the clearence issue i had with my tsp headers were more with hitting part of the k member on pass side. nothing a grinder cant take care of. theres plenty of meat on the kmember to remove

Last edited by bnastystuntz; 01-11-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't have any issues with my tsp headers and the stock housing. I too went with FTI for everything needed to swap to a th400. What converter did you go with? I couldn't be happier with my set up
Old 01-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by allblackedout5

2. How do I get my VSS input to function again.
FTI?
http://ftiperformance.com/Speedo-Rel...400-FSPXXR.htm
The 40 tooth and whatever year truck had the sensor for it. Late 80's early 90's truck.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bnastystuntz
no clearence issues hear. tsp headers fit verry well with my ultra bell housing. the clearence issue i had with my tsp headers were more with hitting part of the k member on pass side. nothing a grinder cant take care of. theres plenty of meat on the kmember to remove
Good to hear. Thanks a lot. Tubular k member for me. Tons of room now!!

Originally Posted by Jtm2085
I didn't have any issues with my tsp headers and the stock housing. I too went with FTI for everything needed to swap to a th400. What converter did you go with? I couldn't be happier with my set up
FTI was awesome. My invoice shows a 9" billet converter anti balloon plates Cnc stator triple bearing and billet cover. Told them I'd like to leave line on two step and trans brake at around 3800-4000.
Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
FTI?
http://ftiperformance.com/Speedo-Rel...400-FSPXXR.htm
The 40 tooth and whatever year truck had the sensor for it. Late 80's early 90's truck.
Damn that's awesome. Didn't know it was an option. I'll call them back tomorrow and see if it's not too late to tack that on to my order. Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey guys, love seeing all the FTI 400 swap builds!!!

we have those reluctors in stock! I have found the hard part of getting the VSS to work is finding a WORKING sensor. They have been hard to find for some time, and are expensive when you do find them...

I do know that there was user on here that said he found a VSS for another vehicle that he was able to make work with a few extra steps in HPT. Hopefully he will see this thread and chime in with his results on if it worked.

Another option I see guys use is a mechanical speedo on the transmission with a mechanical to electrical speed sensor adapter.

-Dalton
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 01-12-2018, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Did a little digging for the speed sensor and found a thread on yellow bullet that pointed to this http://www.oehq.com/oeparts_213-3513_acd.htm . Took that number and googled it and it come up with a bunch of hits that show a sensor that crosses via part number, and looks the same, but claims it is for a 4 speed. For 26 bucks from rock auto or probably from your local jobber might be worth a shot unless someone can confirm it's incorrect.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:05 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by biketopia
Did a little digging for the speed sensor and found a thread on yellow bullet that pointed to this http://www.oehq.com/oeparts_213-3513_acd.htm . Took that number and googled it and it come up with a bunch of hits that show a sensor that crosses via part number, and looks the same, but claims it is for a 4 speed. For 26 bucks from rock auto or probably from your local jobber might be worth a shot unless someone can confirm it's incorrect.
That sure does look like it.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Just got done doing a little digging back in our transmission department. i have 2-3 of these sensors off of some cores we tore down. If you guys are interested give me a call here at the shop or shoot me a PM!

386-736-5816

-Dalton
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 01-12-2018, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
That sure does look like it.
I'm not doing a TH400 swap, but It might be worth the attempt by someone who is. Even if ALLBLACKEDOUT5 got one from FTI and used it to get his set up working then snag one from your local parts place and toss it on to see. Might make the whole unicorn feeling of this sensor go away.

Standard Motor Products part #SC89 seems to be a good aftermarket part # for a 3 speed auto speed sensor from a 90 c1500. My local Auto Plus has 3 in stock for $23.21

Last edited by biketopia; 01-12-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a screen shot and a huge cross ref list that was on the site. Sorry for the post bombing, kinda slow at work so trying to use some of my resources to help out.

TH400 w/ UltraBell - Texas Speed headers - Clearance issues?-speed-sensor.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Cross Reff.docx (17.1 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:10 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for all of the posts guys, I wanted to say thanks to FTI again for helping me. Before checking back to this thread I called today and tacked on the 40 tooth reluctor wheel to my order, they didn't even charge me... These guys really care about customer service. Then I signed on here and saw another rep from FTI said they had a couple sensors, so a few short minutes later I again called these poor guys back and they in fact have a few sensors available. It was pricey, no question, however they added two upgrades to my order at no cost and threw in a few T-shirts.... SO I'd gladly pay them the extra for the sensor. All in all what I'm getting at here is I added the 40t reluctor to my original order and along with that FTI is shipping me a sensor too and make this not only a bolt it swap, but a plug and play swap as well. Very excited to receive the order!

Back in November when I first decided that a th400 swap was in my near future a member named Clinebarger posted in another thread of mine with part numbers for a pigtail, a reluctor, and a sensor. I remember looking at them and seeing that the sensor was for a Saturn vehicle and was less than $25 maybe? Once I have this all done I'd gladly pick one of these cheap sensors up and run it to see if they're in fact an interchangeable part. I'll see if I can find the old thread and post and put the part numbers in this thread also.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:17 PM
9 Second Club

The below information is the information that a member named Clinebarger posted in my other thread regarding my th400 swap, this was from this past November. Hopefully you guys can shed some more light on the topic. I spent A LOT more than this on the sensor from FTI but as said, I couldn't care less. FTI has been outstanding in my ordering process and I'll gladly spend money with their company, and at least I'll know as of now that it's for sure the right stuff.

"The later production TH400's had VSS sensors.

VSS Sensor GM# 24232618
VSS Reluctor GM# 8655315
VSS Pigtail GM# 12085498"
Old 01-12-2018, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allblackedout5
The below information is the information that a member named Clinebarger posted in my other thread regarding my th400 swap, this was from this past November. Hopefully you guys can shed some more light on the topic. I spent A LOT more than this on the sensor from FTI but as said, I couldn't care less. FTI has been outstanding in my ordering process and I'll gladly spend money with their company, and at least I'll know as of now that it's for sure the right stuff.

"The later production TH400's had VSS sensors.

VSS Sensor GM# 24232618
VSS Reluctor GM# 8655315
VSS Pigtail GM# 12085498"
Googled the Sensor # and it came up with the same standard part number I posted earlier. But like you mentioned customer service like it sounds like you have gotten with FTI is hard to come by. Once you get it in and set up and have a little time to swap out one that would be awesome if you could. At least for future swaps in people getting the sensor, aswell as places like FTI know where they can economically get some new ones vs finding a good used one. Side note, if you add a "t" to the standard # I posted it's their economy line and shows for only like 21 bucks on rockauto vs 24 for the regular line.

Quick Reply: TH400 w/ UltraBell - Texas Speed headers - Clearance issues?