Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e Bell housing bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts
Default 4l60e Bell housing bolts

Tonight I began disassembly of the trans. All of them were very tight so I used a heat gun in case they were installed with loc-tite. I used the correct torx plus bit from Sonnax. There was one bolt that didn't want to come out. Well it won the battle not the war! Hammer Time! (and chisel) LOL. I made a mark on the case to be able to tell if it was turning. I was happy I didn't have to resort to drilling!
Old 03-08-2018, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one of those. Hit it with the electric impact, didn't work. Heated it then hit it with the impact, didn't work. Tried my friend's impact (also electric, but stronger), didn't work. Went back to my impact and was about to resort to more violent methods when it suddenly came right out! Sometimes being patient makes your life easier lol

That trans looks really clean. Did you clean it beforehand or are you making an already rebuilt one stronger?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

I picked this transmission up used from a guy that had it in a beautiful LS3 powered '69 Camaro. He took it out to put in a stick. He told me the 3-4 shift has been slipping some. The trans is supposed to be a 4l65e Stage 2 from ( I know) MadDog Transmission. I figured I would be money ahead with buying this trans and doing a freshen-up on it than laying out the big money on a "built" trans from some place.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had good luck with heating the case where the bolt is to soften up the thread locker, before gently impacting them out with an air gun. The first time I removed a set of these I just blasted them with the impact and gutted three of the heads. Once I drilled the heads off the (now) studs came out with two fingers. I think the heads gall up the aluminum underneath which makes them a pain to remove. I'd try a hardened washer underneath when you put them back in to prevent future problems.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Karlw
I've had good luck with heating the case where the bolt is to soften up the thread locker, before gently impacting them out with an air gun. The first time I removed a set of these I just blasted them with the impact and gutted three of the heads. Once I drilled the heads off the (now) studs came out with two fingers. I think the heads gall up the aluminum underneath which makes them a pain to remove. I'd try a hardened washer underneath when you put them back in to prevent future problems.
I'm a big fan of ARP bolts. I plan on using ARP bellhousing bolts which I believe come with washers. The moly lube they sell should help with that too.