Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using Jake's 4L80e Rebuild Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Anyone using Jake's 4L80e Rebuild Kit?

I know this question has been asked before... but wondering how the Jake's Lvl 2 rebuild kit shifts and if everyone is happy with it when they had a local builder build the trans instead of Jakes? I only have experience with a factory 80e with a Transgo in it and that trans shifted awesome at WOT and part throttle 2-3 and 3-4 but the part throttle 1-2 shift was a little bit harsh. I'm wondering what a Jake's kit would feel like? I'll be having my local trans shop do the rebuild on a core I sourced.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,214 Likes on 779 Posts

It's a very complete kit from the looks of it. To be honest, the only special things you're going to get is the machined forward hub (people call this "rollerized") and the 34 element sprag.

Those mods alone, along with dual feeding the directs of course, will make for a very stout build. In my opinion, it's more money than I'm used to seeing for that list of parts, but Jake needs to make his cut, and he's taken the time to package it all nicely for you so that you don't have to do the resource and source parts by yourself. His knowledge of matching parts is probably worth the price hike. And Jake has shared so much info on forums over the years, I don't think anyone is going to say he deserves any less money.

I think his 750 hp rating on the kit is certainly legit, maybe even a little under rated.
Don't use an HD2 with this kit. You can do everything needed without the HD2.

Short answer, Yes. It's a good kit.
The following users liked this post:
jeremyfrank14 (06-28-2022)
Old 04-15-2018, 12:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
It's a very complete kit from the looks of it. To be honest, the only special things you're going to get is the machined forward hub (people call this "rollerized") and the 34 element sprag.

Those mods alone, along with dual feeding the directs of course, will make for a very stout build. In my opinion, it's more money than I'm used to seeing for that list of parts, but Jake needs to make his cut, and he's taken the time to package it all nicely for you so that you don't have to do the resource and source parts by yourself. His knowledge of matching parts is probably worth the price hike. And Jake has shared so much info on forums over the years, I don't think anyone is going to say he deserves any less money.

I think his 750 hp rating on the kit is certainly legit, maybe even a little under rated.
Don't use an HD2 with this kit. You can do everything needed without the HD2.

Short answer, Yes. It's a good kit.
Thanks for the info. From Jake's page it looks like his basic Stage 2 kit includes the 34 element sprag and machined forward hub with torrington bearing. Anything else recommended or build tips to give to my local builder?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...build-kit.html
Old 04-15-2018, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Correct his level 2 kit comes with the sprag and hub. Those are the special parts.

Make sure your builder sets proper clearance in the clutches and gets correct endplay. He can also rollerize the output using a th350 pump bearing.

I'm not sure if Jake's kit comes with it or not, but I would install a sonnax boost valve for the 80e. It provides very good line pressure and line pressure rise. Better than just a stiffer spring in my opinion.

Good luck and enjoy the stout 80e
Old 04-16-2018, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
I'm not sure if Jake's kit comes with it or not, but I would install a sonnax boost valve for the 80e. It provides very good line pressure and line pressure rise. Better than just a stiffer spring in my opinion.
The Sonnax boost valve is included in their recalibration kit, and there is an upgraded one mentioned on their in the basic rebuild kit. So probably the same unit.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes our Recalibration kit and Rebuild kits include the Sonnax boost valve kit.

Our rebuild kits include instructions and parts for doing your own valve body mods.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Jake.

Is the Sonnax Sure Cure still needed with the Jake's kit or is it just a good idea for any 80e build or not needed? The tool seems expensive, I don't think every trans shop would have one.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seeing that you live by LA, you'll be able to find a shop with the reamer needed if you decide to do the kit. My area is much less populated and my local shop had all of them.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
Thanks Jake.

Is the Sonnax Sure Cure still needed with the Jake's kit or is it just a good idea for any 80e build or not needed? The tool seems expensive, I don't think every trans shop would have one.

It would be somewhat redundant for some parts.

I do recommend checking the AFL valve for wear. We ream and replace all of them on the valve bodies we build.

Sonnax makes nice stuff.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i use jakes kit 100%
Old 04-17-2018, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
Yes our Recalibration kit and Rebuild kits include the Sonnax boost valve kit.

Our rebuild kits include instructions and parts for doing your own valve body mods.
This right here is worth whatever additional cost may be perceived. You know you're getting quality parts from one of the best in the business...and the parts are properly matched to work well together.

Jake has given out much of the info in these kits already for free on this forum and others, and many people can preach the success of the valve body mods he recommends.

Thanks for hanging out here on the forums and helping the little guy Jake.