Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what caused this crazy damage? pics included

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So what caused this crazy damage? pics included

Just wow don't know where to start. It started having a weird vibration, thought it was the LT headers or transmission mount. Certain times it was bad but went away at weird times or certain RPMS. Well after 1-2 years with this weird vibration it miraculously went away like 3-4 weeks ago. Well about 2-3 weeks ago I hear the horrible SCREECH SCRAPING noise that almost made me have a heart attack and it takes a lot to scare me. It literally sounded like the exhaust pipe was scraping on the road which I had an issue before this and added a clamp. Anyway I drove home trying to stay at a low RPM which seemed to happen about 3,000RPMS or higher randomly. I looked underneath and nothing!!!!!!!

Fast forward a week ago.............I'm about 3-5 miles to my house. I had to pull out from the gas station and pushed the car a little and heard the horrible scrapping screeching noise like metal scrapping on the road! I got home shaking and the car was fine......... I started it up 5 mins later open the hood and revved the engine to like 2,000-3,000K RPMS. Car was fine. Revved it again to 3-4 RPMS lightly. Then BAM! sounded like rocks in a soda can spinning! My neighbor even heard it and she lives behind me about 100ft away. The transmission was rebuilt from a very well known place in CT. My friend that own the car pampered it since I knew him forever and worked at the same warehouse. I owned the car for 3 years with 117,000 miles and now has around 168,000 miles which I pamper most of the time driving 60MPH on the highway . Well inspected the whole car. Tried taking the starter out. Bent the plastic cover and PARTS OF METAL FELL ON MY FACE! Transmission was done at a well known shop that I, the owner of my car and the owner of the transmission shop we all went to the same school and hung out years ago. I believe the owner before my friend and I that owned it some dumb kid added a "stall out" converter and ruin the transmission. Well I believe when the car was rebuilt my friend told me it had I think a truck torque converter and some upgraded transmission parts were added and my friend has money and didn't cheap out. Let me tell you I drove many muscle cars and street bikes and this transmission was always quick and snappy and if you punch it under 40MPH going on the highway it will spin tires. Transmission fluid was always fresh and cleaned and after owning FOUR 4L60E transmissions this one was always flawless and the fluid always stayed clean and never smelt bad. I swear I thought the transmission did shift very hard once or twice (even at a very very low RPM) during the time this weird noise happen but went away. Well my brother and car buddies wanted to hear it and before I pulled the broken parts out the sound was happening non stop and to a point where it sounded like something was really going to happen hard to explain and we shut the car off.

I don't think the flexplate was replaced ever but the damn bolt in the pic ended up eating a small amount of the oil pan! No oil leaks but how the hell is that even possible??????????????? Where did this bolt come from and how did it shave off my oil pan? I tried to moved the flexplate but wouldn't move. The starter is original and was hoping it was the starter that caused it. I don't know what to do. Do I go to a tranny shop, performance shop or a normal shop? It's hard for me to trust people and I know the transmission is still fine just don't want bull**** saying I need a whole new tranny and oil pan. I need this car out of my garage but don't want to drive it up on a flatbed or have a shop try and drive it and ruin it even more. I'm lost here. Willing to pay someone to take a look and where to go after this.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I sounds like one of your converter bolts (bolts the converter to the flexplate) backed out and chewed up some parts. I would rotate the engine over and count (and tighten if necessary) all three converter bolts. It's an awkward angle to get the converter bolts tight and I hate the fact that most are allen-head bolts.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I sounds like one of your converter bolts (bolts the converter to the flexplate) backed out and chewed up some parts. I would rotate the engine over and count (and tighten if necessary) all three converter bolts. It's an awkward angle to get the converter bolts tight and I hate the fact that most are allen-head bolts.
I never worked on a 4L60E before just fixed the linkage but my brother and I started the car with the broken parts cleaned out and the noise is constant and we shut off the car instantly. I hope I didn't crack the flex plate which looks original? Or the Torque converter is damaged or the spline shafts? Fluids are clear and not burnt smelling but it looks like the shop didn't add a new flexplate since I heard is highly recommended when rebuilding a transmission and the original owner having a 3500 stallout. My fault I should of looked into more with that weird vibration so it was either the cracked/bad flexplate or that one bolt backing out that caused the vibration? I want to pop off the huge dust cover but looks like it might be a hassle. Anyone know of anyone that does repairs or a trust worthy shop in CT?

Here are pics with the little inspection cover popped off.

Last edited by 1999ls1sscamaro; 06-27-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like the converter bolt backed out. I would inspect the flexplate and see if the hole has any cracks around it. I would be concerned about the cracked oil pan too.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I can clearly see the center of the flexplate broken out.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Maybe I'm blind but where are you seeing that? I see what looks like holes that were in when it was made but I don't see a broken flywheel center.

Obviously the flywheel torque converter bolt or bolts backed out because at least one is missing in the picture.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Maybe I'm blind but where are you seeing that? I see what looks like holes that were in when it was made but I don't see a broken flywheel center.

Obviously the flywheel torque converter bolt or bolts backed out because at least one is missing in the picture.
If you look at the picture of the bolt, there is a metal ring around the inside which is the converter hole. I missed it too initially.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

This dude is well know in CT don't want to say the name of the shop but Kevin my friend owned this car before me and he claimed they added some heavy duty torque converter from a truck or something 4L80E parts but the bolt size is 9.8mm?? wrong bolts used? I don't get it I don't beat on the car and the shop in CT makes heavy duty transmissions for Mustangs, Camaro's and Diesel trucks. So if I get this towed should I buy my own flexplate and torque converter? idk what parts were added and it was tuned far away in Rhode Island. What's my best option? Any trust worthy shops in CT? need this car out of my moms garage since I had to park it in her garage. This sucks, was in a bad street bike accident and had to sell my landscape business due from the rod in my leg hurting and have only like $1800 spend on the car.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Yep, looks like the FW is busted, most likely a bolt came loose, got hung up and caused
the FW to break-or the FW cracked and caused the bolt to hit.
It happens, you drove it 2 years with a vibration, you need to get after
stuff when its not right. Not really the shops fault, maybe they will give you a break, new FW,
may need a new converter seal, pump bushing. GM changed the FW designed thru
the years, not unheard of breaking.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

GM changed the flexplate design about 1999. 1998s' had the large round holes,1999(somewhere around that time),GM changed the holes to 'peanut shaped' holes(the large holes not the fastener holes). The peanut hole design were more prone to breakage/cracks.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

I will be buying a TCI or B&M Flex Plate SFI rated. Should I do the rear main seal with the miles it has? Please chime in on what else I should buy while I'm at it. Vibration was never that bad but yes I should of had it checked out. I hope I didn't ruin the torque converter. Thank god it broke in my garage.

Any good Transmission shops in CT? Should I just go to a performance shop instead? What price range am I looking at? Thanks for the advice guy's any little bit helps.

UPDATE: I was told from the owner the torque converter came from a 6.0L Truck.

Last edited by 1999ls1sscamaro; 07-10-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

lol wow I'm so lost. Some people called me saying it's possible to put a 6.0L torque converter in the Camaro but need a spacer. Someone also said it could be a 6.0L truck that uses the 4L65E or whatever. I'm not going to buy the Flex plate since now it could have all custom parts. My question is now IS THERE GOOD TRANSMISSION SHOP IN CT OR PERFORMANCE SHOP THAT DOES GOOD WORK AND ARE HONEST?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

IMO nothing particular custom or special about it just appears the converter bolts backed out and hit block and broke it and flex plate. I would replace flex plate and probably converter, replace pump bushing and front seal and inspect pump internally,
As for the 6.0 converter itwould be dimensionally the same as the 99 camaro converter .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-12-2018, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

1.) What flexplate would you recommend?
2.) What Torque Converter would you recommend for price/performance
3.) What would a normal shop usually charge can't be that bad because the parts are external so to speak from the transmission. Most shops charge around $1,000 to rebuild a 4L60E in CT but this job shouldn't be that bad since the car shift and made it home fine. Just went when I started the car in my garage the bolt fell out and damaged the flexplate then fell on my face taking the cover off.

Thanks for the quick feedback and it means a lot since the car has to leave my parents house asap and I'm a little tight on spending money and need to know every dollar I spend is spent wisely.

Quick Reply: So what caused this crazy damage? pics included