3000RPM Torque Converter Manners - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Automatic Transmission 4L60E | 4L80E | TH350 | TH400 | TH2004R | Powerglide | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3000RPM Torque Converter Manners

Old 09-12-2018, 04:54 PM

Default 3000RPM Torque Converter Manners

Reverse pattern manual valve body 4L80 behind an LQ4 with Circle D Specialties 2A 3000rpm torque converter.

Can anyone shed light on how their car with a similar stall rating behaves when you get up to speed from a stop?

-I don't get much of a slight lurch forward with my foot on the brake when I put it into 1st, I'm used to getting mechanical feedback when a car is in drive and I get almost no feedback here. Reverse gives me a much more pronounced jolt, i would think partly because the gear ratio is lower and also because it never had the fluid flow problem drive had (boost valve stuck im pretty sure)
-It feels as if im dragging the brakes a little, the car will come to a stop if I let off the gas pedal (only drove 100yds and it did this)
-i have to give it +/-2000rpm to even get the car moving, shouldn't it start to move at idle?

I'm breaking in both this engine and a rebuilt 12 bolt (pretty tight) so could that be why this is happening?
I thought fluid flow may be a problem so I put the car on jacks and ran through the gears with enough throttle input to get the wheels moving. I also stabbed the brake pedal and gave it 2000rpm of stall once or twice in both drive and reverse to give it some heat. It definitely has enough fluid

I just fixed a h*ll of a couple problems with my transmission yesterday so i just want to make sure i don't have to re-fix it. (Scarcely low fluid, boost valve/reverse pressure valves came out, snap ring not seated)
Old 09-13-2018, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Circle D = Loose as **** at low load. I had FTI restall my circle d.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

My circled drives basically like stock, the car moves at idle and I can cruise at 12-1500rpm. It's a 3200 btw.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm pretty sure I have the 60e version of that converter in my yukon XL. It's nice, not too aggressive converter. It drives a lot like stock, but still allows the rpms to rise under load to get you in the powerband better. I'd contact Circle D and give them your impressions and see what they think.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: