Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400 vs Powerglide (Ws6 3550weight)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

@bortous I'm the one that pointed you towards performabuilt...in the thread you started asking about your 4l65...so obviously I know what they claim and I know their reputation. You're one of the more dense posters on this forum so far this month.

If you'd like to go read the OP's first post...he was not asking about a 60e...and it's not the right place/application for a 60e in his case. He was asking between a glide and a 400...hence the damn title haha

Even if he DID want overdrive and TC lockup...an 80e would be much more cost effective at his power level. Just give it a rest bud
Old 06-23-2019, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 461 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
@bortous I'm the one that pointed you towards performabuilt...in the thread you started asking about your 4l65...so obviously I know what they claim and I know their reputation. You're one of the more dense posters on this forum so far this month.

If you'd like to go read the OP's first post...he was not asking about a 60e...and it's not the right place/application for a 60e in his case. He was asking between a glide and a 400...hence the damn title haha

Even if he DID want overdrive and TC lockup...an 80e would be much more cost effective at his power level. Just give it a rest bud
Right.......
Are you done?
Old 06-24-2019, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bortous
You are welcome to stick to what you think.
But eventually you will acknowledge it.
Dude I'm not interested in spending 10k on transmissions. I don't care to acknowledge it. We spend enough on these cars already with our aussie dollar 68 cents plus shipping/taxes. T400 is simple cheap and lives for a long time being abused. If you want to fork out that much cash to keep od and lockup, nobody is telling you not to. It's your car your dollars. Don't force onto people on how they should build their cars, build yours, share your results, and all the best with it.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Launch
Dude I'm not interested in spending 10k on transmissions. I don't care to acknowledge it. We spend enough on these cars already with our aussie dollar 68 cents plus shipping/taxes. T400 is simple cheap and lives for a long time being abused. If you want to fork out that much cash to keep od and lockup, nobody is telling you not to. It's your car your dollars. Don't force onto people on how they should build their cars, build yours, share your results, and all the best with it.
I don't care.
I order you to spend the money on transmission and enjoy it ok?
Old 06-27-2019, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here comes my pov , sorry for the long write up but here it goes.

Its simple, no matter if the 4l60 will hold with 5k+ into it, if anyone asks you what you have and by answering its a 4l60, no one is gona take you serious and even if you do all the explaination in the world they still gona see you as a guy who talks out of his *** , yes thats how bad the 4l60 reputation is. I simply dont want it ,not for that reason, just dont feel like you need to spend that much money on a design that doesn’t work to make it work with fancy materials, and only one company has accomplished it? that means its simply not a good trans from the start and not risking if it will or not hold.

So back to my 2 options, pwoerglide vs th400, powerglide seems to be better for a light ,higher hp car. So Ill be running it on lower power on the street and with the th400 I’ll still be able to have fun because the gear ratios work even for lower hp. But the trans holds it when hp is turned up. And with a powerglide you need to be turned up to make it decently fast or it’ll be bogging down low .

And I currently have a 4l80 with shift kit and a 1250dll converter that gave me a big headache, it was way to tight, 2.5k when 4.2k was ordered and giving all the details on my engine and weather conditions etc. And on top it was vibrating bad, while all this is under warranty I lost shipping both ways, having to remove the trans and hours of work to find the reason of the vibration. And in the end I got my money back and bought a different brand tc from a guy selling it new and its a 5k stall and never had more fun in a auto but I did the sloppy transbrake on it and that was my biggest mistake, It left so hard it lifted the front wheel all motor on a nitorus tune, low timing while feeding the engine extra fuel, the nitrous solenoid didnt open up but the tb has a delay to it and its not consistent so that made me make my decision of going with a real transbrake but then I look into cost and a 4l80 cost atleast 1k to get a transbrake to work with auto features and if you spend so much on a tc, tb, valve body you really need to think about upgrading internals and thats another big expense. So a cheap trans to begin with ends up costing more then I want to spend into it. So my best option is a th400, rmvb, tb , so I can use a tc thats cheap, and have a trans that works with tb for 2200 with everything, new trans built with tb and tc included, but even if it ends up braking, its cheaper to repair so I have less concern on pushing on it so I enjoy running it hard more. And its not a daily driver, Ill use the car every other weekend to make some wot runs and enjoy the car for its performance and not how good it’s drivability is and I want to take it to the track atleast 6 times a year . So I can lose lockup and overdrive and its not my biggest concern. Just that money I can save on the trans, can buy my complete twin turbo kit already. And parts needed add up quick.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Well you try telling that to these guys and performabuilt.
Not one failure in 6 years.
There are a lot of people still thinking the old way.
It's 2019 now and things have changed for the better.
4L60E's can hold 1200rwhp reliably.
You are welcome to stick to what you think.
But eventually you will acknowledge it.
Dude.....STOP IT WITH THE PERFORMABUILT SPEIL!! Kfx done told you...myself.... and others. The 4l60 is trash, it's well documented and proven. Most around here know better than to spend 5k on those things. Anyone with more than 5 brain cells get straight to the business....Th400...PG...or if they must have od....4l80. People with more money than sense stand by the 60e.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ws6ls
Here comes my pov , sorry for the long write up but here it goes.

Its simple, no matter if the 4l60 will hold with 5k+ into it, if anyone asks you what you have and by answering its a 4l60, no one is gona take you serious and even if you do all the explaination in the world they still gona see you as a guy who talks out of his *** , yes thats how bad the 4l60 reputation is. I simply dont want it ,not for that reason, just dont feel like you need to spend that much money on a design that doesn’t work to make it work with fancy materials, and only one company has accomplished it? that means its simply not a good trans from the start and not risking if it will or not hold.

So back to my 2 options, pwoerglide vs th400, powerglide seems to be better for a light ,higher hp car. So Ill be running it on lower power on the street and with the th400 I’ll still be able to have fun because the gear ratios work even for lower hp. But the trans holds it when hp is turned up. And with a powerglide you need to be turned up to make it decently fast or it’ll be bogging down low .

And I currently have a 4l80 with shift kit and a 1250dll converter that gave me a big headache, it was way to tight, 2.5k when 4.2k was ordered and giving all the details on my engine and weather conditions etc. And on top it was vibrating bad, while all this is under warranty I lost shipping both ways, having to remove the trans and hours of work to find the reason of the vibration. And in the end I got my money back and bought a different brand tc from a guy selling it new and its a 5k stall and never had more fun in a auto but I did the sloppy transbrake on it and that was my biggest mistake, It left so hard it lifted the front wheel all motor on a nitorus tune, low timing while feeding the engine extra fuel, the nitrous solenoid didnt open up but the tb has a delay to it and its not consistent so that made me make my decision of going with a real transbrake but then I look into cost and a 4l80 cost atleast 1k to get a transbrake to work with auto features and if you spend so much on a tc, tb, valve body you really need to think about upgrading internals and thats another big expense. So a cheap trans to begin with ends up costing more then I want to spend into it. So my best option is a th400, rmvb, tb , so I can use a tc thats cheap, and have a trans that works with tb for 2200 with everything, new trans built with tb and tc included, but even if it ends up braking, its cheaper to repair so I have less concern on pushing on it so I enjoy running it hard more. And its not a daily driver, Ill use the car every other weekend to make some wot runs and enjoy the car for its performance and not how good it’s drivability is and I want to take it to the track atleast 6 times a year . So I can lose lockup and overdrive and its not my biggest concern. Just that money I can save on the trans, can buy my complete twin turbo kit already. And parts needed add up quick.
That's fine.
The th400 is the one to go with.
If you don't care about the other features then you are heading in the right direction.
I know about expenses. They never stop with modifications.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Game ova
Dude.....STOP IT WITH THE PERFORMABUILT SPEIL!! Kfx done told you...myself.... and others. The 4l60 is trash, it's well documented and proven. Most around here know better than to spend 5k on those things. Anyone with more than 5 brain cells get straight to the business....Th400...PG...or if they must have od....4l80. People with more money than sense stand by the 60e.
As I have said so many times, you must think you know better.
There are actually 3 places building these that hold the same power.
Performabuilt being the first 6 years ago.
I disagree.
Anyone with more money than sense always chooses what worked well in the past and bashes anything he hasn't tried yet.
Did you read the part where I spoke to 4 different people who have this black edition 4l60e?
Were they full of crap with their positive feedback?
Times change!
The following users liked this post:
bbond105 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 07:14 AM
11 Second Club

As I have said so many times, you must think you know better.
There are actually 3 places building these that hold the same power.
Performabuilt being the first 6 years ago.
I disagree.
Anyone with more money than sense always chooses what worked well in the past and bashes anything he hasn't tried yet.
Did you read the part where I spoke to 4 different people who have this black edition 4l60e?
Were they full of crap with their positive feedback?
Times change!
Buy one and show us. Rack up at least 100x 1/4 mile passes with it (not all at once of course) on slicks or drag radials. If it lives, we'll be 4l60ebeliebers.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm seriously starting to wish...for the first time on this forum...that I didn't recommend you to check out performabuilt.
I've recommended them many times on here...and on Facebook...and you're toting their name and saying the black edition 4l60e is the best trans for any setup you see get asked about in this section...more than anyone else I've recommended them to combined.

We get it...you're impressed...but give it a rest.
If you get their trans...enjoy it...maybe do a review when you first install it...and then again a year or two later so people can see

But don't be out here name dropping and then ARGUING on their behalf all the time.
Their reputation speaks for itself...they have representatives on here...they can jump in for themselves if they want to.

For all intents and purposes...I hope a moderator shuts this thread for sake of not sidetracking it any further than it already has been.
The following users liked this post:
bbond105 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 07:33 AM
11 Second Club

I'm seriously starting to wish...for the first time on this forum...that I didn't recommend you to check out performabuilt.
LOL!!!!! I had to do it....

Old 06-28-2019, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

I've recommended them many times on here...and on Facebook...and you're toting their name and saying the black edition 4l60e is the best trans for any setup you see get asked about in this section...more than anyone else I've recommended them to combined.

We get it...you're impressed...but give it a rest.
If you get their trans...enjoy it...maybe do a review when you first install it...and then again a year or two later so people can see

But don't be out here name dropping and then ARGUING on their behalf all the time.
Their reputation speaks for itself...they have representatives on here...they can jump in for themselves if they want to.

For all intents and purposes...I hope a moderator shuts this thread for sake of not sidetracking it any further than it already has been.
Lol
You recommend them and at the same time you don't believe what they say about their transmissions?
How can I not be impressed when I have spoken to four different people who have it and I have you all here telling me different?
If you had one and experienced a failure or you knew of someone who experienced issues or a failure then I could understand your point of view.
But you are bashing it without trying it and neither do you know of anyone who has one so you can get some feedback.
If I was getting bad reviews from these guys then I would be hesitant to believe any claim.
Who said I am arguing?
I am debating, not arguing.
Seems to me if someone doesn't agree with your point of view it's automatically wrong.
Who knows, maybe times have changed and you are ignorant without knowing it yet?
I guess we won't know and neither will we know if I am wrong till we get more data.
So keep an open mind and stop complaining.
It's better for your health this way too.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Launch
LOL!!!!! I had to do it....

Lmao!

Good one.

PERFORMABUILT PERFORMABUILT MF!
Old 06-28-2019, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Lol
You recommend them and at the same time you don't believe what they say about their transmissions?
How can I not be impressed when I have spoken to four different people who have it and I have you all here telling me different?
If you had one and experienced a failure or you knew of someone who experienced issues or a failure then I could understand your point of view.
But you are bashing it without trying it and neither do you know of anyone who has one so you can get some feedback.
If I was getting bad reviews from these guys then I would be hesitant to believe any claim.
Who said I am arguing?
I am debating, not arguing.
Seems to me if someone doesn't agree with your point of view it's automatically wrong.
Who knows, maybe times have changed and you are ignorant without knowing it yet?
I guess we won't know and neither will we know if I am wrong till we get more data.
So keep an open mind and stop complaining.
It's better for your health this way too.
How dense can you possibly be.
I'm not saying their claims are untrue.
I'm not saying I've experienced failure.
And I'm certainly not ignorant to the fact that "times are changing" and 60e's are capable of more than people think...I've championed that campaign many times and try to help guys here get their 60e to hold more power despite them hearing from others that it's not possible.

All I'm saying is it is getting realllly old having you comment on threads recommending a transmission that's not even being talked about. And saying it is the best thing in the world even though you have no firsthand experience with it.
Your comments are irrelevant and a little annoying to read...because while some of us are trying to present useful tech help/advice...you're just blasting a name around over and over and over.
Just give it a rest

p.s. I loved the meme above
Old 06-28-2019, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

How dense can you possibly be.
I'm not saying their claims are untrue.
I'm not saying I've experienced failure.
And I'm certainly not ignorant to the fact that "times are changing" and 60e's are capable of more than people think...I've championed that campaign many times and try to help guys here get their 60e to hold more power despite them hearing from others that it's not possible.

All I'm saying is it is getting realllly old having you comment on threads recommending a transmission that's not even being talked about. And saying it is the best thing in the world even though you have no firsthand experience with it.
Your comments are irrelevant and a little annoying to read...because while some of us are trying to present useful tech help/advice...you're just blasting a name around over and over and over.
Just give it a rest

p.s. I loved the meme above
Lead by example and stop talking about it. Seems to me you can't keep your fingers from typing to this thread.
Please stop saying things I did not say and also, if you have any decency ,don't take the things I write out of context.
You know my position on this so stop the over-exaggeration.
This is bad conduct on your part.
I am more annoyed with you than you are with me, so let's leave it at that.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

Most of my car buddies are stick shift guys but I have a few that run automatics. Anyway they send their tranmission to showtime tranmissions and they have some badass cars. Some are running low 5s in the quarter with a TH400 tranmission and only 2000-2500 invested. No need to spend 10 grand on a name.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Most of my car buddies are stick shift guys but I have a few that run automatics. Anyway they send their tranmission to showtime tranmissions and they have some badass cars. Some are running low 5s in the quarter with a TH400 tranmission and only 2000-2500 invested. No need to spend 10 grand on a name.
Gonna need some names man. And people who are running that fast have more than $2500 just in the converter alone.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Gonna need some names man. And people who are running that fast have more than $2500 just in the converter alone.
About to send you a PM
Old 06-30-2019, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

And i meant Eighth mile. My local track is Holly Springs Mississippi
Old 06-30-2019, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
And i meant Eighth mile. My local track is Holly Springs Mississippi
Ok, this makes much more sense now. Didn't believe low 5s in the 1/4 for one second.

Quick Reply: Th400 vs Powerglide (Ws6 3550weight)