Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400 vs Powerglide (Ws6 3550weight)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Th400 vs Powerglide (Ws6 3550weight)

So Im looking into transmission options, I have 01 Ws6 ls1 forged, on nitrous but going twin turbo by end of the year hopefully, and Its gona be my race car, but I want it to be able to drive on the street, I wont travel more then 20-30miles with it. Currently has a 4l80 but tc are really expensive,trans brakes valve bodys are expensive and they say they work for 800hp with a shift kit but getting them at the junkyard, and rebuilding it because they got 200,000 miles on them, and still its a used trans with tons of miles on them, so Im better off getting a new one and saving weight, and getting it done without braking the bank is my goal.

So at what hp level would a powerglide be a better option?

What are pro and cons for each one?

My goal is to get into 9s eventually
Old 04-14-2019, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

Either a Powerglide or a THM400 would work in terms of power handling.

When both transmissions are built with the strongest parts made... The THM400 is the stronger unit with a far superior hydraulic design.
The THM400 has larger more robust parts that are near-copied for the turbine and output shafts on the highest power handling Powerglide transmissions.

However the Powerglide does offer less mass and consumes less HP. Which may be very beneficial.

The Powerglide struggles hydraulically with a trans-brake (aftermarket pumps greatly improve this problem), the unit was never hydraulically intended to operate more than one clutch pack at a time. Not enough volume of oil can be pumped fast enough.

Again however, both units live in vehicles with some where in the 2,000 - 3,500 HP levels...

The Powerglide units usually are "Refreshed" more often... Other than that...

You really have both options from a Power stand-point.

Most people that are making passes in the 9 second range are using a 3-speed, Not that you couldn't of course use a 2-speed. Obviously people do.

When continuing to go faster and faster; where more people may move to a 2-speed... Many people even convert the THM400 to a 2-speed

That topic is for another discussion and more money than is needed to spend for a 9 second vehicle.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,213 Likes on 778 Posts

I've seen glides run 9's at 4k lbs plus.
It's going to be a preference call.

Some will say you have to be th400 at your weight...but other racers with timeslips disagree.
The 400 *may* be faster...but without testing both and making sure both have the proper converter...there's no way to say for sure
Old 04-14-2019, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
Either a Powerglide or a THM400 would work in terms of power handling.

When both transmissions are built with the strongest parts made... The THM400 is the stronger unit with a far superior hydraulic design.
The THM400 has larger more robust parts that are near-copied for the turbine and output shafts on the highest power handling Powerglide transmissions.

However the Powerglide does offer less mass and consumes less HP. Which may be very beneficial.

The Powerglide struggles hydraulically with a trans-brake (aftermarket pumps greatly improve this problem), the unit was never hydraulically intended to operate more than one clutch pack at a time. Not enough volume of oil can be pumped fast enough. Stock pump glides at 1400 horse for seasons are going to have to disagree with you

Again however, both units live in vehicles with some where in the 2,000 - 3,500 HP levels...

The Powerglide units usually are "Refreshed" more often... Other than that...

You really have both options from a Power stand-point.

Most people that are making passes in the 9 second range are using a 3-speed, Not that you couldn't of course use a 2-speed. Obviously people do.

When continuing to go faster and faster; where more people may move to a 2-speed... Many people even convert the THM400 to a 2-speed. Typically this is only done because you can't get a deep enough 1st gear with a glide. You physically run out of room for the gearset. But you can easily use 2nd gear in a 400 as an effective 1st gear.

That topic is for another discussion and more money than is needed to spend for a 9 second vehicle.
I agree with you for the most part...either will work...preference call
Old 04-14-2019, 11:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Stock pump glides at 1400 horse for seasons are going to have to disagree with you
I agree with you though :-) At that low of a power level the Powerglide does not have much of a problem (applying both the forward band servo and the reverse clutch pack) as long as engine RPM is high enough.

My apologies most of my experience with Powerglide, THM400, and Turbo-Glide transmissions would be in the 2,000 to the blow-up a chassis dyno HP ranges.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Nice humblebrag. Stock pumps with stock size gears (assuming proper clearances) make 240psi all the time. That will knock out 2000hp no problem.

The only places I know doing anything different than stock (or SLIGHTLY over stock size gears just to get the clearance in spec) are doing billet pumps...namely the stator half, and that's so that they can run larger input shafts and have enough support for the stator to not rip the splines out.

regardless...If you read the initial post, you would see that this guy isn't trying to make 2000. He's closer to the 1400 or lower range...which you agree the stock pump is plenty capable of...so I'm not sure why your first post was to say that it struggles hydraulically?
Old 04-15-2019, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts

I would just go with a 4l60.

i kid i kid lol
Old 04-15-2019, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice humblebrag. Stock pumps with stock size gears (assuming proper clearances) make 240psi all the time. That will knock out 2000hp no problem.

The only places I know doing anything different than stock (or SLIGHTLY over stock size gears just to get the clearance in spec) are doing billet pumps...namely the stator half, and that's so that they can run larger input shafts and have enough support for the stator to not rip the splines out.

regardless...If you read the initial post, you would see that this guy isn't trying to make 2000. He's closer to the 1400 or lower range...which you agree the stock pump is plenty capable of...so I'm not sure why your first post was to say that it struggles hydraulically?
Ha! I like ya more and more every post :-)

C'mon, I am sure you know that when the Powerglide is near time for refreshment and clearances loosen up... Setting the trans-brake becomes more difficult and the vehicle can roll forward when on the brake.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
Ha! I like ya more and more every post :-)

C'mon, I am sure you know that when the Powerglide is near time for refreshment and clearances loosen up... Setting the trans-brake becomes more difficult and the vehicle can roll forward when on the brake.
Yes, this happens frequently. By design, the low gear band in the glide is subject to some wear and needs adjustment.
Yes, glides get refreshed pretty regularly. It takes maybe 45 minutes to go through a glide if you're just slapping new frictions/seals in it on a weekend to get a racer to their next event. Take the time to measure and inspect everything properly for a season end refresh and you have more time in it, but it's still pretty minimal compared to most any other trans. I think its simplicity and low cost to refresh are common reasons people decide to refresh their glide as "seasonal maintenance" lol

But, for the OP...I don't think the hydraulic system is lacking.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the replies!! Im been looking into it and Im going with a th400, becuase I want to use it for street and be able to have fun with it even on low boost, and powerglide is more race only and on low power the gear ratio is far from being adequate.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 461 Likes on 358 Posts

Performabuilt now have 4l65E transmission that are guaranteed to handle at least 1000rwhp.
This might be the best option for a street driven vehicle.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

bortous go home.
this is not the place for a 4l60e
it's 4l80e territory if he wants overdrive...but he has said he wants a th400 already so...
Old 06-20-2019, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Thats what they always say about the 4l60s and they always end up braking down no matter what. And as well more expensive than just getting the right transmission to begin with. 4l60 is out of the question, I currently have a 4l80 installed, but I decided for the th400 because its less weight, and cheaper to repair, torque converter are alot cheaper and for a car that I want to be my track car it makes more sense. I just want to be able to drive it on the street but not travel with it though so I dont need overdrive .
Old 06-20-2019, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

bortous go home.
this is not the place for a 4l60e
it's 4l80e territory if he wants overdrive...but he has said he wants a th400 already so...
So you tell me to go home and yet you say he should get a 4L80E?

A th400 he wants to get not a 4L80e. He already has it as stated by his post.
The 4L65E black edition is definitely worth a look.
We can all give an opinion.
I suggest taking your own advice.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bortous
Performabuilt now have 4l65E transmission that are guaranteed to handle at least 1000rwhp.
This might be the best option for a street driven vehicle.
Wondering why would you think a 5000dll 4l65 would be the best option vs a 4l80 or th400 that costs Less then 1/2 that price?
Old 06-20-2019, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

He's lost just ignore him. Everyone knows 4l60s are ****, even with a level 20 build they are just ****. Go 400 or 80e and be done. One nice thing about an 80e is lock up, ya the converters cost more but it can be worth it.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ws6ls
Wondering why would you think a 5000dll 4l65 would be the best option vs a 4l80 or th400 that costs Less then 1/2 that price?
You said for good driveability right?
I know the th400 is cheaper and can handle more power.
However you have less gears.
That 4l65 box from performabuilt looks good.
I never said the 4l65e is better than 4l80e.

If you have the 4l80 just keep it and build it.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
He's lost just ignore him. Everyone knows 4l60s are ****, even with a level 20 build they are just ****. Go 400 or 80e and be done. One nice thing about an 80e is lock up, ya the converters cost more but it can be worth it.
The one that doesn't understand my point is you my friend.
He already has a 4l80e. I know this.
Keep the 4l80e and rebuild it. Spend the money and get a converter to suit. No point getting the th400 and losing s gear and having no overdrive.

You have not tried the Black edition 4l65e.
I spoke to 3 people that have it that are running 1000rwhp for nearly 2 years and zero issues.
Technology changes so get with the times.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bortous
The one that doesn't understand my point is you my friend.
He already has a 4l80e. I know this.
Keep the 4l80e and rebuild it. Spend the money and get a converter to suit. No point getting the th400 and losing s gear and having no overdrive.

You have not tried the Black edition 4l65e.
I spoke to 3 people that have it that are running 1000rwhp for nearly 2 years and zero issues.
Technology changes so get with the times.
Those 3 people probably have more money than the U.S treasury department tied up in those 4l65s too. The simple fact that you would even fix your mouth to even form the sound 4l65, when in the company of a glide, and the almighty 400, automatically disqualify you from the discussion.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Those 3 people probably have more money than the U.S treasury department tied up in those 4l65s too. The simple fact that you would even fix your mouth to even form the sound 4l65, when in the company of a glide, and the almighty 400, automatically disqualify you from the discussion.
Ya that's what I was thinking. And as far as "technology" advancing, that has nothing to die with the design flaws of a 4l60e no technology is gonna change that.

Quick Reply: Th400 vs Powerglide (Ws6 3550weight)