Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monster Transmission OR rebuild locally?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 162 Likes on 119 Posts
Question Monster Transmission OR rebuild locally?

I asked a similar question about two years ago, and was told it's better to find someone locally to rebuild my transmission. Now that I have moved back to Texas, I am recommending that my new neighbor do the same. The problem is, I don't know of any reputable transmission shops around here (San Antonio). My neighbor is thinking about ordering a Monster Transmission. Has anyone had any experience with Monster Transmission's automatics?

I did a search on here, but I only got results for their clutches. My neighbor has a 1/2 ton truck with the 5.3L (2006 I think). His 4L60e doesn't want to go into gear sometimes. He said a local Chevy dealer "fixed" it a little while back, but now it's acting up again. The truck has about 180,000 miles on it. I'm just trying to help my neighbor out.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

get the MONSTER you will love it......( sarcasm off )
Old 07-18-2019, 01:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

None of the builders in TX that I know, work with the 4L60E family of transmissions...

MaroonMonsterLS1 may know of someone in TX... I am not certain.

Some of the other guys will probably know if Maroony does not know...
Old 07-18-2019, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Jeeeeeeesus Christ. How are people STILL asking about monster transmission.
How bout this...I'll take a core 4l60e from a junkyard. I'll pressure wash the outside then put it in a crate. I'll **** in that crate...then get it all shipped to you. You'll give me an outrageous amount of money...the trans won't work...then I'll have a VERY cleverly drafted warranty document that will conveniently exempt me from having to honor that warranty.

I'll count my cash...and you'll be left with 2 pieces of ****.

I don't personally know anybody in Texas. Get on facebook, join a couple local pages for racers (especially "street scene's" or street race groups) and ask them. They will know who to go to in your area.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

After browsing these forums for a long time.. this account and my old account.. I've read countless bad things about Monster in the last 10 years. Lots of horrifying stories. Stay away...
Old 07-18-2019, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just have 1 of the professional builders on here ship you one out
Old 07-18-2019, 02:30 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Monster?

You'd be better off trying to hang onto the flexplate yourself with the driveshaft yoke up your ***.
Thats only a slight exaggeration.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

If it doesn't say Rossler, RPM, Jake's or Performabuilt on the crate, should I put it in my car?
Old 07-18-2019, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
If it doesn't say Rossler, RPM, Jake's or Performabuilt on the crate, should I put it in my car?
Can't tell if you're serious or not.
But in case you weren't aware...there are 100's or 1000's of posts on here sharing FREE info with tips and tricks to help you build your own to last.
th400
60e
80e
th350
powerglide

There's info out there for all of them
Old 07-18-2019, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Can't tell if you're serious or not.
But in case you weren't aware...there are 100's or 1000's of posts on here sharing FREE info with tips and tricks to help you build your own to last.
th400
60e
80e
th350
powerglide

There's info out there for all of them

I see and have had so many of the professional's on here give so much helpful info to us that build them on our free time I could only imagine the customer service they give on there build's
Old 07-18-2019, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Jeeeeeeesus Christ. How are people STILL asking about monster transmission.
How bout this...I'll take a core 4l60e from a junkyard. I'll pressure wash the outside then put it in a crate. I'll **** in that crate...then get it all shipped to you. You'll give me an outrageous amount of money...the trans won't work...then I'll have a VERY cleverly drafted warranty document that will conveniently exempt me from having to honor that warranty.

I'll count my cash...and you'll be left with 2 pieces of ****.

I don't personally know anybody in Texas. Get on facebook, join a couple local pages for racers (especially "street scene's" or street race groups) and ask them. They will know who to go to in your area.

Well, Monster is still around, and they are easy to find on the internet. I don't know of any other transmission companies out there, because they aren't on the internet. I found a mom and pop shop to rebuild my 4L80, but they were recommended by some members of my car club. Small companies like that are not on the internet, so people don't know about them. People get info from the internet these days. If you don't have a website, then you only get business via word of mouth. Monster does a good job of advertising. That's why people are still buying from them.

I'll tell my neighbor what you said, and strongly recommend that he do more research before ordering anything.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

It seems that the automatic transmission companies that have grown the largest, and have the biggest advertising presence...
Are the ones with the safest business models.

These are the companies that only offered THM350 and THM400 units for the longest time.
They would not go anywhere near a "Throttle-Valve" type transmission.
They also did not go anywhere near electronic units until they were around for a good 15 to 20 years.

All to play it safe... and avoid failure rates like the plague.
To this day these companies only build a mediocre product and do not offer anything for moderate to high powered vehicles.

Names like:

-Hughes Trans.
-TCI Trans.
-B&M Trans.
-ATI Trans.
-Performance Automatic

They generally only offer what the average guy can build and afford.
This is a great business strategy... However it is also what keeps the Greatest Builders and businesses out of the light so to speak!

The companies/ businesses that produce the cutting edge/ state out the art new technology and the HIGH POWER components and transmission for us...
Do not have the advertising presence, nor the NAMES that everybody and their Grandma knows.

However, these businesses are out there; and communities like ours can point people in the correct direction. :-)
Old 07-18-2019, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just rebuild it yourself.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

dont know any builders in the SA area......a few choices in the DFW area if you are willing to drive

otherwise one of the many sponsors here great reps and deliver a quality product

or DIY....
Old 07-18-2019, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

I don't have the tools or the proper work space to rebuild a transmission. If I did attempt something like that, it would probably take me several weeks. My neighbor needs something much sooner than that. He has some serious problems with his current 4L60e.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:12 AM
TECH Junkie

I would get some freight quotes... try Fastenal!

See how much it would cost to ship your transmission to Pro Built Automatics in CA.

May only cost you a few hundred dollars...
Old 07-19-2019, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Fastenal is amazing with shipping, my boss shipped out a 500lb ****** engine and cast iron trans for like 250 buck across the country.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Utinator
Well, Monster is still around, and they are easy to find on the internet. I don't know of any other transmission companies out there, because they aren't on the internet. I found a mom and pop shop to rebuild my 4L80, but they were recommended by some members of my car club. Small companies like that are not on the internet, so people don't know about them. People get info from the internet these days. If you don't have a website, then you only get business via word of mouth. Monster does a good job of advertising. That's why people are still buying from them.

I'll tell my neighbor what you said, and strongly recommend that he do more research before ordering anything.
If monster is the only transmission company you can find on the internet...you aren't very good at using the internet.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try Craiglist, seriously. I found a local guy who rebuilt my 4l80e in my '00 Z28...he does this on the side. Other guys on CL I've found are self employed and can rebuild a trans, most of the time you can find reviews of their work. Price wise, this was a much better route for me since shops in the area wanted over $2,500 to rebuild it.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:09 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

If monster is the only transmission company you can find on the internet...you aren't very good at using the internet.
I can't even figure out how to stumble across Monster by accident without specifically looking for them lol.