Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone lose efficientcy with their Yank converter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone lose efficientcy with their Yank converter?

I bought a Yank converter for my race car about 3 years ago. Its been used quite a bit since then, at least twice a month at the track only on average. I installed a new engine about 8 months ago and was trapping around 108-109 mph in the 1/8 mile (131 in the 1/4). Since then, my mph and et has gradually been getting a little slower and slower. The engine is still running perfect because I haven't really been to the track much over the past 8 months. I mostly just race at 1/8 mile tracks. My mph has dropped to around 105-106 in the 1/8 and I've lost around 1.5 tenths of e.t. I'm also having to shift the engine 500rpms higher, just to maintain this slower e.t. and mph. Thats telling me I may have some slippage or efficietcy loss somewhere. I haven't ruled out it could be within the transmission, but the transmission was just overhauled when I installed the engine 8 months ago.

Has anyone ever experienced efficientcy loss with a Yank converter? If so, can you just send it back to him and have him freshen it up? How much does it cost? Yank is not the easiest man to get in touch with which is why I was asking here first. Just trying to get an idea.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Are you asking if loss has been experienced over time?? Seems like you lost your MPH after you put a new motor in your car when the converter was going its job and now all the sudden you have a loss of MPH. I think I would be looking at the new motor setup instead of the converter maybe. Unless I read your post wrong.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
Are you asking if loss has been experienced over time??
Yes.

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
Seems like you lost your MPH after you put a new motor in your car when the converter was going its job and now all the sudden you have a loss of MPH. I
Actually, when I first installed the new engine is when I was trapping 108-109. Since that first couple of times to the track the mph has been dropping little by little and now its around 105-106.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:04 AM
FormerVendor

Talking

Originally Posted by Lurch#2
I bought a Yank converter for my race car about 3 years ago. Its been used quite a bit since then, at least twice a month at the track only on average. I installed a new engine about 8 months ago and was trapping around 108-109 mph in the 1/8 mile (131 in the 1/4). Since then, my mph and et has gradually been getting a little slower and slower. The engine is still running perfect because I haven't really been to the track much over the past 8 months. I mostly just race at 1/8 mile tracks. My mph has dropped to around 105-106 in the 1/8 and I've lost around 1.5 tenths of e.t. I'm also having to shift the engine 500rpms higher, just to maintain this slower e.t. and mph. Thats telling me I may have some slippage or efficietcy loss somewhere. I haven't ruled out it could be within the transmission, but the transmission was just overhauled when I installed the engine 8 months ago.

Has anyone ever experienced efficientcy loss with a Yank converter? If so, can you just send it back to him and have him freshen it up? How much does it cost? Yank is not the easiest man to get in touch with which is why I was asking here first. Just trying to get an idea.
Hi this is dave from yank converters when you had the transmission redone did you have the converter refreshed at that time.This is somthing that we recommend. If you would like to call me i would bve happy to go over the options of sending it to us so we can take a look at it and go through the converter for you. my number is 775-826-9955 we are only a phone call away that's how easy we are to get in touch with.
dave