Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serpentine Belt Slipped off, now 4L60E shifting hard HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 01:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Serpentine Belt Slipped off, now 4L60E shifting hard HELP

My serpentine belt slipped off today on the highway, i manged to drive the car about 4 mins to the closest spot to pull over, as expected my pwr steering, alternator, water pump stopped working and when i pulled over the car it was at about 245 on the temp gauge. I let it cool down and put the belt back on (old belt i still had in the car from replacing it with a new one) and made it home. The weird thing is that now the transmission shifts pretty hard from 1st to 2nd, and a little harder than normal into every other gear, I dont kjnow to much about transmissions but the only thing i can think of is that maybe it got hot? i dont even know if coolent is ran to the transmission. It was rebuilt 20k ago so i know its not getting "old" any idea's? i really dont feel like paying anther 2200 to fix it again. Please help.
P.S. The shift isnt really rough, it shifted firm before, now its just quite a bit harder.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the tranny fluid got real hot, the tranny went into abuse mode. Normally it will reset itself once the car is cooled down and restarted.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh, ok, should i reset the PCM? So there is actually an "abuse mode"? what is that exactly?
Old 12-29-2004, 04:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

abuse mode?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PCM will command the tranny to behave differently when the operating conditions are abusive to the tranny. This is an attempt to prevent further damage from driving when the temps are too hot.

I'd check your fluid level (and color) and clear your codes and see if the problem goes away.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Slipped off, now 4L60E shifting hard HELP