Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tramission Maintence

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tramission Maintence

I have been reading every post I could find and researching on the internet on how to maintence my transmission. From what I have gather droping the pan changing the filter then flushing the transmission is the best bet. I'm a big "do-it-yourselfer" so I have been looking for ways to flush my tranny at home. I know the flush maching that was used on my car the first time used the line going to the trans cooler on the inlet and the line going to the tranny on the exit and just pump new oil in the trans. I was wondering if I could put the line going to the cooler in an empty bucket and the line going to the trans in a bucket full of new oil and flush it like this or do a need a closed system to provide the pressure to refill the tranny? Also I unsure of what oil to refill the trans with my two options from what I have researched is the Dexron or Type-F fluids? From what I understand the Type-F was developed for Ford vehicles so what is the advantages of putting it in our cars, also if there is anyone has anyone ran it long enough to know if there are any harmful side affects? Has anyone used Lube-gaurd as an additive I have heard it is very good? Sorry so long had to vent out all my searching.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't use type F. All the transmisison builders here will say the same thing. I'm not sure if the bucket idea would work, it needs pressure to return. I just drop the pan and filter about twice a year and that is over kill, so i doubt flushing would be necessary.