Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny cooler lines removal in TC install

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny cooler lines removal in TC install

Okay, busted knuckles aside, I'm having a LOVELY time trying to get the tranny cooler lines off my Trans Am. These bastards won't budge. In my Modern Muscle Cars install guide they say there are some e-clips to remove, however there aren't any here. I've had the car since 4k miles so I'm sure they aren't there to begin with. My 98 did have them though.

Is there some trick on the 02s I'm not aware of to remove the tranny cooler lines? I'm pulling away with my 18 mm wrench and having no freaking luck.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's some clips in there, and they're a PITA to get off. Youdon't want to lose them they're not a normal clip. Not sure what else to tell you. My 01 and my buddies 02 both had the same clips.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The best way I can describe what I see on the end of the connection are rings, don't really look like clips. Is that a good description of what I'm looking for?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dam i just slide the tranny back with the lines still on . i just uncliped them from the hangers..
Old 12-30-2004, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

man get u the smallest little screwdriver you can find...and i mean like jewlers size..if you dont have any use a little pick if you got one.. or if neither then anything that is super small and still pretty stout..where those "rings " are see if you can get your crewdriver under there and pull up..you cant see the ring really until you pry it up..trust me its in there,if its not then it would have a toatlly dirffrent fitting on it secuifing the lines..hell might even try a toothpick althouh i think it will break...worst comes to worst..get a fork cut all but one tooth off of it..grind it down till its super then and use it.... jest get something under than little ring and lift up you will see it trying to lift up..dont pull on lines as this will make the ring harder to get out since they are what holds them on..
matt
Old 12-30-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is probably what I'm going to do, these things are just such a pain in the ***. I feel like I'm breaking those rings, they don't seem to be doing anything besides bending out.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

try wiggling your lines while prying up on clips or maybee a slight push in towards the tranny...i know they can be a pain and theyre not that easy to get back in either...they dont come straight off as in you just pop them up and out..they "rolll" on..its hard to explain ..the best way to expalin it is if your "loop" is facing towards you and you got a pick or whatever underneath it and can phsically move it...it will have to rotate one way or the other (i forgot) as in when the ring starts to pull out, it will "rotate around" so that now the ring is either facing towards the top of your car or the bottom..get what im saying? as soon as it starts to pull out a little you will have to try and pry it either up or down not straight out becuase of the way it snaps in there...
Old 12-30-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So instead of trying to pop it out, I need to rotate them around in a screwing fashion?
Old 12-30-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

well yes and no... you will need to pop them out BUT they wont pop straight out..as you pry on them the design of the clip will force it to roate one way or the other..its like a throttle grip on a motorcyle...the clip goes in just like that..you put in on straight onto the shaft at at first and once it catches then twist it as though your giving the throttle gas and the clip will pull itsself onto the shaft...(i know thats kind of cheesy) but that is the only way i can describe it..therefore when you take the clip out it would hae to coem out the exact opposite as in once you start prying on the clip it would have to go the other way..(as in letting up on the throttle..) just make a "C" with your thumb and index finger and pretend your going to pinch your computer screen this is you holding the clip..once you push the clip in enough to where it holds itself on..rotate it down (like the motorcylce throttle) so that your fingers are pointed up and your "c" is now upside down.. if this helps u any i dont know how..its hard to explain

i think you will see once you get one started...once you pry up a bit they will rotate on there own..dont be afarid to force it a little..they key is getting all the way under it with your object
Old 12-30-2004, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man, I'll give it a whirl. I appreciate the in-depth answer. I'll let you know how it goes
Old 12-30-2004, 07:10 PM
9 Second Club

You have to pop the little round plastic rings off first, the clips are underneath the rings. Just use a screwdriver to pop the rings loose and slide them down the cooler line. Then use a small pick to gently pull the clips off - be ready to watch where they fall if they sping off! Then the lines will pull right out.

One more hint for reassembly - put the clips back on while the tranny is down where you can get to it - then you can just push the lines back in and they will snap into the clips - you might have to push hard to get them to pop in, but it is easier than trying to fish the clips back on with the tranny up in the tunnel. Hope that helps.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got them off! Oooo wee, talk about fun. Now I understand how they were to come out. I took some pictures of the bastards and I'm going to post them so others will have a good idea of what needs to happen.

One last question, do you push them down open end or do you pull the open end towards you? Is all the finesse needed to put them back on is a big push down?

Last edited by ShadowLightCSU; 12-30-2004 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

If you put them on with the open end towards the front of the car, it makes it easier to take them off next time. To put the lines back in, you just push them in firmly and then when the clips have them, you shouldn't be able to pull them back out.