Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling noise > New Yank SS3600 installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Rattling noise > New Yank SS3600 installed

I just had a brand new Yank SS3600 TC installed. The next day, I noticed a rattling noise that sounded like the thin aluminum heat shielding that shields heat from the exhaust pipes.

I put the car up on ramps today to see where the rattling was coming from and discovered that it's coming from inside the tranny housing where the Yank was installed.

Does anybody know what the rattling is? Could it be the converter itself or is there some sort of tin shielding inside the tranny housing where the TC bolts up to the flywheel? Ever had this happen to you?
Old 01-01-2005, 10:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your exhaust and cat's during an install if the exhaust is not taken down or put in a bind when the motor is lowered it can brake up the honey comb in the cat's and loosen it in the case. And it will rattle till it warms up and expands. I have seen this many times.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it make the sound while in gear or in neutral or both?

Does the sound vary in pitch or volume with the engine RPM?

John
Old 01-01-2005, 01:03 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Yank
Check your exhaust and cat's during an install if the exhaust is not taken down or put in a bind when the motor is lowered it can brake up the honey comb in the cat's and loosen it in the case. And it will rattle till it warms up and expands. I have seen this many times.
For Mike or someone from Yank. I bought a SS3600 and a TP4400 from you in Dec 2002. The SS3600 in my street car is awsome, its a great daily driver and at the strip. The TP4400 in my supposed racecar is way to loose for my new 382/ Vortech power. I`d like to send it in and get it tightened up about 400-600rpms and wonder what the time frame wound be if it goes out this week?

Thanks, Dave
Old 01-02-2005, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

CAVEMAN ... you just jacked my thread. Feel free to post here but please don't take the thread over again.

Yank: I am running the car with ORY ...

JNorris: It makes the noise when the car is cold when I first start it up and I have it in Park or Neutral. When I put it in gear, it stops ... doesn't make any noise after it warms up.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:25 AM
10 & 11 Second Club

Oops sorry.
There is heat sheilding above the header collectors and the Y pipe on either side of the tranny. Usually when you reinstall the tranny+ exhaust you have to take a long pribar to the header collectors and y pipe and pri down real hard several times, this is almost manditory. I have to do this every time or I get that same rattle in that area and it does sound like its coming from the tranny but its the heat sheild only inches away. You can also remove the sheilding above the collectors they`re 7mm bolts, you need to leave the sheilding above the y pipe cause it sheilds the fuel lines and the floorboard, dont want to toast your feet.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Problem SOLVED !!! It was a loose passenger-side front O2 sensor. Thanks for all your help folks.

Thanks Caveman. I live over in Lake Mary ... where you at, man?
Old 01-02-2005, 01:12 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Problem SOLVED !!! It was a loose passenger-side front O2 sensor. Thanks for all your help folks.

Thanks Caveman. I live over in Lake Mary ... where you at, man?
I live off SR 535 and 429 Expwy, west of Orlando. I go to the track alot, if you go I`ll probably see ya. We used to have lots of car clubs and meets around town, but not much goes on anymore except the corner at Hwy50+ Orange Av late night Fri-Sat.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Damn you've got a strong car! I'll get down to Bithlo in another week or so. I've done about all I can do to my car for now, financially speaking. Maybe I'll see you at the track or even downtown. Maybe I can race you my first time there. That would be cool to be handed my *** by a Supercharged Pontiac!!!! LOL!!! Good meeting you.

Quick Reply: Rattling noise > New Yank SS3600 installed