Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

guys, ive tried everything, im at my breaking point with this car, please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guys, ive tried everything, im at my breaking point with this car, please help

we've taken this car apart 3 times now, the trans didn't have 3rd or 4th gear, the owner abused it so hard the trans fluid was literally dust, the motor misses, its lowered so low "they cut the springs" u couldn't run over a grasshopper without killing it. this is my friends car

we rebuilt the trans with a master overhual kit and various other parts were rplaced, this isn't our first time with a trans by any means, we've never had one not go back together right the first time... the 3rd time was today that we've torn it completely down and put it back together, we've read, bought books on it, talked to countless shops, workers, the ppl who sold us the overhaul components ect. nothing, no one has a friggin clue why...

so assuming its together right, which ill bet my left nut it is, what else would cuase it to be f'd up, what else could this guy have done to this car to keep it FROM

SHIFING from 1st to second.... we got 1st and 3rd and 4th... well i think we have third, hard to tell really with the gear thats in the car ect..but surely no second gear

im starting to think since we never really drove the car with it running right, that its not running right. the stock motor has supposedly seen its share of 175-200 shots with high bottle pressure ect.. im starting to think that maybe the computer is sensing something and is going into some kind of "LIMP home mode." the motor misses and doesn't seem to pull worth a damn more like a 6 or 7 cyl in first gear... all in all im lost, please help me

this car is honestly really starting to get to me and my dad here.... you'd think outta 3 times we've done it, assuming we've put it together wrong, we've had figured out what was wrong, nothing can be wrong, im 99.999999999999% sure the trans is together and all the seloniods ect are working properly... we've pulled my own apart for various mods ect and have never had a hitch.. im staring to think its permantnently fucked or something, like i said the trans fluid was literally gray and dried mostly up in to chunks of metal, the hours we've spent cleaning can not even be counted, im honestly about to quit guys, i just dunno what else to do with this damn thing
Old 04-17-2005, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

oh and the guy was paying us a measily 300$ for this job since hes my buddy....... hes starting to get upset with me, but damn ive bought all the extra fluid and gaskets now out of my own pocket.... when this is all said and done if it had worked today i would make about 150$ off this job that has taken more hours then ive spent on any other thing in my life.. ive literally worked for penny's an hour. im about to refund the cost of all the parts, and drive it back over to his house, i think this is more then fair, cut my losses and pray for the next poor soul that works on it.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you flush or replace the cooler? Did you replace the converter or get it cut open and cleaned out? Did you scan for codes? Take trans pressure readings?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

im about to replace the converter, has no way of really checking for codes, the car isn't going to make it very well to autozone since the guy took the plates off of it. we flushed the cooler tho yes.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

honest opinion-

cut your losses, give the car back to the guy and forget about it. sounds like you already too deep into it but imagine another 20hours later how much you are loosing. how you deal with the $ refund (or no $ refund imho) etc.... is up to you.

drop in in his driveway, hand him the keys, and tell him "good luck" and don't look back.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

gawd would i love to do that, you just have no idea!!!!! or better yet beat that car with a hammer

the car is possessed, me and my dad were setting on the truck bed talking about what could be wrong, i called the car a pos! the headlights suddenly ******* flip up and then go back down real quick.. no one was near the car... the battery was ******* disconnected!!!!!! wtf guys... i wish id had my camera

anyways, b/c im not about to give up and let this car win, were going to replace the selonoid that could be cuasing it and swap out my stock converter into it incase its the converter, ill keep you updated, pray for me seriously tho.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the fluid was burnt to ashes as you say. We know it wasn't that bad.
But having a transmission failure that bad and re-using the same converter is like shitting your pants, taking a shower and putting the same pants back on,,,for a lack of a better description.
That trans might be the best one ever built in history but if you put a fried converter back in it, well, all the old **** trapped in the old converter goes right into the new trans and sticks valves, clogs stuff up like the screens on the solinoids, etc.

Now to get the thing properly fixed you need to tear the trans down completely again, clean it all out, clean the cooler again, get a NEW converter, OR ONE THATS BEEN PROPERLY REBUILT.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
But having a transmission failure that bad and re-using the same converter is like shitting your pants, taking a shower and putting the same pants back on,.

bwahahahahahaha

get like 20 quarts flushed through it on a flusher machine, then change out the converter for a new one and flush the **** out of it again.

when my tcc blew apart i had it flushed out with the bad converter still in the car, probably like 16 or so quarts- would've kept going but the one fitting started pissing fluid so i said enough is enough. i was satisfied with the color/ purity of the fluid coming out of the flusher anyway so i drove it back and threw in my new converter and a new filter.

now- im not saying this will fix the problem but it'll make it so you don't have to tear the whole goddam trans down again just to clean it.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1_PNYTAMR
gawd the car is possessed, me and my dad were setting on the truck bed talking about what could be wrong, i called the car a pos! the headlights suddenly ******* flip up and then go back down real quick.. no one was near the car... the battery was ******* disconnected!!!!!! wtf guys... i wish id had my camera ... pray for me seriously tho.
LMAO ... In addition to following jxaxsxoxn's advice, just to be on the safe side, you might want to call in a priest with holy water, crosses, etc.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

you guys just have no idea the hell ive been thru, after my dad who actually does the serious rebuiliding, went inside at dark, i stayed out in the dark from 8pm-12pm just so i could work on my own car, im in the process of pulling the motor, i managed to get everything out of the car except for the motor injectors and coil packs, i did get exhuast and all the hoses/lines/n2o kit/radiator/fans ect out.. just think of what i could get done if i could have the 10 hrs alone we spent today on the other car.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Well, I think we understand that you're frustrated, pissed, and all that ... but I assume you posted because you wanted help more than sympathy. Sleeper and jason gave you sound advice ... but you gotta admit that the bit about the car being possessed and winking at you and all that was funny as "hell."
Old 04-18-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

lol bout the car winking at you
Old 04-19-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of good advice has been posted, but did you ever think that maybe the pcm is at fault? Maybe the previous owner tryed to tune the car himeself with one of those handheld programers like HP tuners, diablo .... Thats what happened to me. I bought a used car, and it woudln't shift from 1-2. The previous owner told me it was tuned by a local shop. After lots of headaches and worries, it turned out the car never was tuned by the previous guy, but he used the Dialbo tuner on the car himself trying to change the shift points, line pressure, etc..He didn't do it right, and my shifting was all wrong, along with a bunch of other trans issues. He did a number on that PCM. Two shops told me that PCM was junk, so I got a new one, and perfect..