Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Converter or tranny went broken?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Converter or tranny went broken?

Alright, i just got my motor put in and having some fun. LAst night, im driving around on the highway (new converter= ss3600, built 4l65e 650hp est., A.P.E. 408ci) in fourth locked when i decided to give it more go. I kicked down a bit and the car thrusted foward but not enough I felt "open" or un'locked. So i give it some more and the car hit the limiter!!! Nasty!! It felt like the converter just let go an wont come back. I fortunately rolled off the highway and into a gas station and called a tow truck. THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways,...... I only had this combo for about two weeks runnig and i broke the converter in like i was told and read. I took it really easy for the first two hundred miles, unlocked and locked her about a tons of times.

Even so, i only gave it some thrust with about 700 miles on the new motor.

So right now, the tranny wont engage any gear, only park. Its as if its in neutral unless when put into park. Im not sure wat to think.....any suggestions?

Im gonna try and give Dave a call and see wat he thinks.....

Thanks ya'll
Old 04-19-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you lost the tranny pump. Happened to me twice. You need to pressure to go into the gears. Otherwise all you have is park. A new pump is onle 70 bucks. Should be a warranty thing if it is that new. Problem is you need to drop the tranny to change it.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, i wa told that it might be the pump, so lets hope thats it.....

there was also a burnt kinda smell from the trans dipstick...would that be a part of the pump going bad?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

junk from the pump may be blocking the cooler which caused the fluid to get too hot.

your converter may be toast too if junk circulated through it
Old 04-20-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes if the pump goes out then you can have the burn smell. It never took out my converter and I lost two pumps on the 60e. TCI said the converter looked great when I sent it in. Hopefully you just need a pump. Don't expect the trans to last long with that motor. I pulled mine 5 times last year before swapping.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

thanks, today i had it towd and when we took it down at the shop, the car roled in gear!!! In reverse only. We didnt put her in drive or any foward gears.

So, it worked but it could possibly be because of the temp. In leaning towards the pump but i would also like to swap out anything else that could of gotten damaged....

As for the tranny, this is wat i got..

http://racetransmissions.com/store/p...roducts_id/216

It is rated at 650hp should it should hold out.......lets see wat happens when we get it apart...

Does anyone know where i can get a high hp rated tranny, 800hp est., it has to be a 4l60 or 4l80, has to be four gears and electronic...
Old 04-22-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

update:

just had the tranny check and this is wat was found.

The 2-4 band and the drum were worn out balck and purple. Also, the first gear clutuches, the 3-4 clutches an other assorted pieces (dont know, just relying wat i can remember..)

This is also a kevlar band, new 9 clutch pack, reybesto i think, and drum. All this happened with in a year of driving around WITH a tanny cooler.

the tranny guy doesnt really know wat could of happened but when i mentioned that i was getting a 0748, pressure control solenoid code, he said that if that goes bad, it could casue the tranny to over heat...

so he is going to rebuild the 4l65e for 1K, im not exactly sure on the parts but the good stuff...

my worry is that i dont want to keep tearing this tranny out every year and if i do a swap, i would like to remain with a four gear and the driveability of the electronic tranny.

well see what happens, he is gonna give a complete list in the morning when i pick her up...will keep ya'll posted.

any ideas on wat have caused this if it wasnt the pressure control solenoid?
Old 04-24-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

the new tranny is done and feels great!!! He put in a new clutch pack with more clutches, i think 12 in total.

Wat caused the problem? We think it was the pressure control colenoid that got damaged and didnt apply the suffifient amount of oil to the tranny...more wear+low oil= breakage!!

im pretty happy about the tranny, but i think my mind is messing with me...my car feels slow!!!
Old 04-24-2005, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Low line pressure will cause your problem. Its directly related to that bad force motor. The 4L65E is a good tranny. Lots of factory upgrades.

Mec
Old 04-24-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

let say that solenoid goes bad, will i get a ses light automatically or not?

i ask because the damage to my tranny seems like it has been around for a while and i didnt get the ses light until i swapped the motor and tune for the 408
Old 04-24-2005, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Not sure about the lite. I've had tranny codes before that didnt turn the lite on. Maybe someone will chime in and answer that.

Mec