Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much abuse can a stock A4 take?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much abuse can a stock A4 take?

The time has come to buy my girlfriend her own T/A. It has to be an a4 b/c she dont feel comfortable driving a M6 in the dreadfull ATL traffic. I was wondering how much power the stock tranny can hold and be reliable. How does stall converters and shift kits affect the reliability of the stock tranny?

I plan on doing the basic bolt ons on the car and keeping it internally stock. What size stall would be good for this so it still drive like stock? I dont want the car to be a turd but I dont wanna have to listen to whinning about how it drives as well. Thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

i would keep the stock converter and just put in a cooler and shift kit, it will not drive like stock with a converter and she will probably get tired of it
Old 04-26-2005, 09:38 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

um.......tranny life is dependant on your driving style. Drive it like you stole it (me) and your tranny will start to go with stick/minor bolton power. Bby it, and it will hold alot. Same applies to the rear. On a side note, racing from a roll KILLS these trannies, I always race from a roll and now mine doesnt like to downshift.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

A TCI 3000 is good for near-stock driveability. The only thing my wife says if she drives my car is that it feels like the parking brake is on when she backs it up.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I beat the **** out of mine (stock) for the past 5 years and is still perfect........although it will probably go out next week because I posted this.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use a trailblazer convertor. Stall is about 2500 and drives almost stock. This w/ a good tranny cooler and reliability should not be reduced from stock either, unless you constantly beat the hell out of it as mentioned before. And as an added bonus the convertor is cheap.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd go with 3000-3500 stall, some custom tuning for shift improvement and line pressure and forget about the shift kit, but that is just me.

My stock trans with only converter swaps being done lasted me over 3 1/2 years with hundreds of passes at the track. It probably would have lasted longer for me to just drive it. I never let it get so bad that I was missing gears as some people describe on here though. Also on most occasions I didn't drive "like a bat out of hell" as some would say. I pretty much babied the car on the street mostly, with a few WOT blast here and there.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice guys. Im trying to get the #'s right with a 02 WS6 at a dealership that has longtubes, Borla, lid, kb sub frames, and lowers on it already. They belive that it is the only Trans am ever made so are proud of it right now. but the end of the month is here and the salesman keeps calling me getting a lil closer to my offer but not there yet. We will see. Anyway, any advice is greatly appreciated so keep it comming.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Well, for what it's worth, I noticed the tranny doing alot more odd things since I went from 294/313 stock motorwise with my converter, spraying an occasional 100/125 shot to having 401/385 at the bottom of my foot all the time.

I'm hoping the shift kit I just got (not installed yet) and some tweaking with the tuning fixes my issues with it.

Matt
Old 04-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Default Pos 4l60e

I personally hate my auto, I personally have gone through 2. one, that i know of, had about 78000 on it, and the other didn't even have 12000 on it. the sad part about this is that my car is completly stock. So from my experience, if it will give way under stock power, i would hate to see modified cars on these POS trannies. Im not saying i drive perfect and nice, i do drive it like i stole it, but it sould still hold together for longer than 12000miles.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

I am about to buy a car that Has ARE Stage III heads and cam with a Stock A4.. How will this hold up to an occasional trip to the drag strip? I drive like a granny on the street.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:48 AM
10 Second Club

you should be fine for a while, but alot of track passes and downshifts on the street and its' days will be numbered
Old 05-12-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
you should be fine for a while, but alot of track passes and downshifts on the street and its' days will be numbered
Cool thanks!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

I'd stay away from turning up the line pressure. I've had mine turned up for about 8 months now. I pulled the trans this week to put the stall in and the stator has had the crap beat out of it from all the hard shifts. I'd go with a shift kit. I'm getting my line pressure turned back down to stock. I've got 92,000 miles on my A4 and still no problems.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
A TCI 3000 is good for near-stock driveability. The only thing my wife says if she drives my car is that it feels like the parking brake is on when she backs it up.
If it feels this way to her in reverse can you comment on how the car feels when stopped on a hill and then going up? This is something I run into somewhat frequently on the street and if it feels like pushing a dead dog or something I wouldn't want it.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
If it feels this way to her in reverse can you comment on how the car feels when stopped on a hill and then going up? This is something I run into somewhat frequently on the street and if it feels like pushing a dead dog or something I wouldn't want it.
My car has the warm idle in drive set to 550 and it will still creep forward on a flat surface. This converter requires slightly more tip-in when pulling away from stop and it revs higher than stock before it shifts. There won't be much difference on hills.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Moe
Teching In

Originally Posted by JustaStockHawk
I personally hate my auto, I personally have gone through 2. one, that i know of, had about 78000 on it, and the other didn't even have 12000 on it. the sad part about this is that my car is completly stock. So from my experience, if it will give way under stock power, i would hate to see modified cars on these POS trannies. Im not saying i drive perfect and nice, i do drive it like i stole it, but it sould still hold together for longer than 12000miles.
When it comes to auto trannies...it seems to usually be a hit or miss ordeal. Some are just bad and will keep going out no matter how many times they are rebuild.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Jammin Joel
I am about to buy a car that Has ARE Stage III heads and cam with a Stock A4.. How will this hold up to an occasional trip to the drag strip? I drive like a granny on the street.
just make sure you test drive it before you buy it.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I can tell you that my 01' held about 550-600 on the hose with the stock trani in place. It needs a good cooler in stock form, and an even better one with a bigger stall convertor. I ran the colonel's old 4400 stall in my 01' and I had to run the biggest cooler i could find and probably could have used another lol. I even converted my 02' from m6 to a4. I like it for everyday driving, and makes for a consistant bracket racing car. The trani will last the life of the car if you follow these guidelines:

1) change trani fluid every 15-20k miles
2) add a cooler to even a stock convertorred car, because heat kills the tranis
3) run the best trani fluid you can afford
4) consider a trani temp gauge to watch trani temp and prevent over heating
5) don't race from a roll! (that is what m6 cars are for lol)