Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ViG3800 Y does it feel SLOW!!!

Old 07-01-2005, 01:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ViG3800 Y does it feel SLOW!!!

i just put it in 3 days ago.... it fukin hits hard off teh line but when im cruising like 35-45 in that area i punch it and it dusent feel like it use to with the stok converter the get up and go........
did it mak emy kar slower or wut the hell.......
with a MT radial of teh line is that where all teh power is at then ill still 12s or sumtin i dunno???????????
Old 07-01-2005, 04:44 AM
11 Second Club

Have you put in a cam if not that would help
Old 07-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

1. Punctuation is your friend.
2. Proper grammer goes a long ways towards getting your point across.

With those said...

What the hell did you just say?
Old 07-01-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by josh99ta
1. Punctuation is your friend.
2. Proper grammer goes a long ways towards getting your point across.

With those said...

What the hell did you just say?
Yeah, what's with all of this "sumtin","dusent","wut","kar" stuff? This is an online car messsage forum, not a text message conversation between you and a friend. You're 25?

As for your questions, how does it feel slower? There shouldn't be any dead spots in the rev range at all. Maybe you're just used to feeling it downshift hard and jerk forward?
Old 07-01-2005, 09:57 AM

If he could type his problem out a little more clearly we may be able to help him. At part throttle, if thats what you're talking about, the car will be slipping more so it will feel slower. If you're talking about wide open throttle there shouldn't be any dead spots, which would lead me to believe you shift tables are off and you need some tuning to maximize the converter in your setup.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah I would believe that he's used to the downshift and jerk forward. If the car is feeling sluggish, a change in gears would help as well as a cam.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

35-45 mph is the absolute weakest speed you can pick, it is the very, very bottom of second gear. It won't HIT at that speed anything like it does a little lower in first gear but it should accelerate much quicker than the stock converter did.

If you want it to HIT, try putting your foot through the gas pedal at about 25 mph. You probably need drag radials for that one though.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:43 AM
TECH Regular

sorry guys!!!! i was in a hurry typing that stuff....
before i got the stall, id be able to ******* floor it feel the engine getting ready to fire.........with the stall i floor it shoots up to hi rpms and it feels slow to me,,, im probably just not use to the stall yet

also my buddys who drive behind me say they see my tires break loose for 2 sec. and leev little marks on the street ,,,,,,

so im goin to get sum MT radials.... and start saving for a TREX....

also how would you higher your idle mine i slike 489ish 500ish, when i see others at 800 or even 1000 rpms for there idle...

sorry if i made you guys feel retarded i was in a hurry to go meet up with sum buds and went stupid on my paragraph...
Old 07-02-2005, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

Guys with high idles usually have cams. Large cams need to idle higher to stay somewhat smooth.

Is this car a daily driver? If so I do not recommend M/T radials and a T-rex unless you are SURE you know what you are getting into. Otherwise, go for it.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Guys with high idles usually have cams. Large cams need to idle higher to stay somewhat smooth.

Is this car a daily driver? If so I do not recommend M/T radials and a T-rex unless you are SURE you know what you are getting into. Otherwise, go for it.

Oh hogwash.......come on...bigger the better....lol....yeah that's a good point....T-Rex, might be a little big for a daily....not to big...just slightly....
Old 07-02-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CASHss99
sorry guys!!!! i was in a hurry typing that stuff....
before i got the stall, id be able to ******* floor it feel the engine getting ready to fire.........with the stall i floor it shoots up to hi rpms and it feels slow to me,,, im probably just not use to the stall yet

also my buddys who drive behind me say they see my tires break loose for 2 sec. and leev little marks on the street ,,,,,,

so im goin to get sum MT radials.... and start saving for a TREX....

also how would you higher your idle mine i slike 489ish 500ish, when i see others at 800 or even 1000 rpms for there idle...

sorry if i made you guys feel retarded i was in a hurry to go meet up with sum buds and went stupid on my paragraph...
And he's redeemed himself with some nice sentences! J/k man.

Let's see here, I'll start at the beginning:
-If the stall is spinning your tires for a couple seconds, then it's likely doing its job! As I stated before, I think it's just that you're not used to the feeling of a stall. You're likely expecting the violent downshift when instead a stall will just jump to the higher revs and pull hard. Also, do it at a better speed, like 20 or 25 (when it's still in first gear) as opposed to the speeds you were doing it at the very bottom of 2nd. It will still pull then, just not as hard.

-I think the MT radials might be a bit too much for you if your car is a daily driver. They won't do anything in the rain and they wear down fairly quickly. Most of us would likely suggest some Nitto 555 Drag Radials. They last much longer, are drivable everyday (and in the rain), and still hook pretty well. Also, if it's a daily driver, that TREX might be too big. But it's your choice.

-The idle problem is something mine has as well. I think an optimum idle is about 750-800 rpms, but mine also sits right at 500 sometimes. This is something that can very easily be fixed with some tuning. If you haven't had it done already, go for it. It should help with that and can also do things like raise line pressure (for firmer shifts), and change shift points to help out your stall. Plus a good tune can pull out another 10-15 hp from an engine.

Let us know if you need anymore help!
Old 07-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Launching!

I had an Idle issue too when I did my 3200 stall. When I would go in reverse with the A/C on the car stalled a few times. So I took Idle screw off the throttle body and reversed it to make it easier to adjust and raised my idle till it sat around 750. Cured my problem and didnt cost my anything. BTW you dont have to flip the Idle Adjustment screw over but it is soooooo much easier that way.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

thanks alot guys... i drive it bout 4 days a week so,, i still will think about it....thanks for your help....also whats a good rpm to launch at with 3800 i roast the **** all teh time daaaaamn
Old 07-02-2005, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

thanks alot guys... i drive it bout 4 days a week so,, i still will think about it....thanks for your help....also whats a good rpm to launch at with 3800 i roast the **** all teh time daaaaamn
You need tires, plain and simple. Once you learn how to launch the car with proper tires, then add more goodies. I'm at that point right now, getting tires next week.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:04 AM

Spinning tires will kill your momentum and will make the car feel slower, even if it isn't hardcore audible spin. I had the same problem with my converter. Passenger's couldn't feel it but I could feel it in the steering wheel and in my seat as the tires were gripping and letting go for a few seconds with my converter. Traction is your answer. That'll be the first step to maximizing your setup. Past that a stall will soften your shifts some, so you need to get a shift kit in there if you haven't already. Then it's just getting used to a stalled car.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:20 AM
TECH Regular

just tonite i starte dto get a loud ticking noise like "HIIIST HIIST HIIST" noise not a Knocking noice but a tap tap tap you guys follow me?
Old 07-03-2005, 10:37 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

For your low idle try the idle relearn procedure. Some things the pcm can learn for itself.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

*** guys i was cheking my spark plugs #8 i think backi by the passenger side from underneath untill a trans bolt fell on me im like what the **** i put it back in after 3hours tightened it really tight.....but i aslo see a very tiny oil leak from the front of the trans to the engine just a little probably leaves a stain bought a little bigger then a Qaurter(coin) i cleane dit up and i drove it around then parke dit noticed it just a drop every say hour so i duno should i take it back to teh trans place or what can you guys tell me,, im scared i ******* paid alot for this **** for it to start leaking oil now....

also i chekd teh engine oil its full no loss so what should i do guys???????
Old 07-03-2005, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

*** guys i was cheking my spark plugs #8 i think backi by the passenger side from underneath untill a trans bolt fell on me im like what the **** i put it back in after 3hours tightened it really tight.....but i aslo see a very tiny oil leak from the front of the trans to the engine just a little probably leaves a stain bought a little bigger then a Qaurter(coin) i cleane dit up and i drove it around then parke dit noticed it just a drop every say hour so i duno should i take it back to teh trans place or what can you guys tell me,, im scared i ******* paid alot for this **** for it to start leaking oil now....

also i chekd teh engine oil its full no loss so what should i do guys???????
Hate to say it since this is the ineternet, but GRAMMARl One big run on sentence with mispellings and ramblings all over the place is hard to follow and many won't even try. I have a bad headache right now and just don't feel like trying understand exactly what you are trying to say.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:19 AM
TECH Regular

i was checking my spark plugs and for #8 which i think is passanger side,,, i hit a bolt and it was a trans bolt that was basically not all the way on,,,,so i screwed it back in as tight as i could which was ******* hard,,,, also there is very little oil dripage comming from the front bottom of teh trans meeting the engine.........my oil is full so i dont know???

Search this Thread