Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How should I cool my new tranny? (Tech guys inside please)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question How should I cool my new tranny? (Tech guys inside please)

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=4&pcid=175

I have bought this particular cooler the other day. It is on its way to my house as we speak. My tranny should be ready next week to. Its a fully redone 4L60e (heavy duty clutches and all the goodies) Trans-go shift kit. 2500 rpm stall.

I have a new radiator so the cooler is fine, it worked great for the 2000 rpm stall. Tranny stayed right where engine coolant temps where (160 deg. thermo would be like 175 engine and 180 tranny).

But with the higher stall I want the additional cooler.

My actual question is. DO WE NEED TO USED THE RADIATOR TRANNY COOLER??

The way I look at it is the B&M I got has a by pass so it wont over cool the tranny. It will wait until i am at the correct temp to start flowing through the cooler. The radiator cooler does nothing but heat up the fluid from the engine coolant.

So what is better, run the fluid through the B&M one only, OR do the additional cooler + radiator cooler??

I need a tech answer on this one. Thanks
Old 07-16-2005, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use both the coolers in line for best cooling. I go through the radiator cooler the a front mounted cooler and back to the tranny. Works very well.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

When I was cooling through the radiator and the aftermarket cooler, my tranny temps were getting way too hot. (185 degree in 40 degree weather...I'd be seeing waaay over 200 in hot weather, probably 230 or 240, if not hotter.) I'm now running just through the aftermarket cooler, and I'll see 180-190 in 90 degree weather. (This is driving in stop and go rush hour traffic for an hour with a TCS 4200.)
Old 07-16-2005, 03:34 PM
Internet Mechanic

ok, this is what i am talking about, is it just better to use the stand alone cooler??
Old 07-17-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

You definitely want the aftermarket cooler on there, the stock cooler isn't enough. There's differing opinions on if you should run the aftermarket cooler alone, or the aftermarket cooler in conjunction with the stock cooler.

A lot of people run both coolers are have no problems. But my car is a freak, (and a pain in the butt too). I'm also running a very large convertor to be in a daily driven car.

The lines on the aftermarket cooler are fairly easy to swap around, we switched mine within a matter of minutes. If I was you...I'd try running it through both since that's the way most people run it, and most people don't have a problem running it that way. But watch your tranny temps, and if they're getting too hot, take the five minutes to redo the lines so you're only running through the aftermarket cooler since there are a few of us out there that have to run it that way.

Just curious, how are you monitoring your tranny temps? Guage or software? Same question for coolant....
Old 07-17-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the stock cooler first and then into the aftermarket cooler.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:07 AM
10 Second Club

Heard you can run 20* cooler just by running it through a big trans cooler and not the radiator. BUT if you drive it in a colder climate your going to need the radiator to heat the fluid since it can "gel" in cooler weather. Thats what my trans guy told me.

Soon as I get my trans back I am going to run it just through my trans cooler and not the radiator so I will let you know since I had a trans temp gauge and was running at about 180 down the road but as soon as I started getting agressive it was at about 200-220. Will let you know if it runs cooler without the radiator.

I run a 3500 stall.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:39 AM
Internet Mechanic

i have heard conflicting opinions. my guy who i have work done at his shop. (who knows his ****). He said run it through both becuase the tranny cooler is on the cold side of the radiator. Becuase my concern was if its getting heated up by the engine coolant, then whats the point of an additional cooler, its going to basically run the same.

But he said do both and i will be fine.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Run the fluid through the radiator, then the cooler.

Jeg's has that cooler for $49.99

SteveC