Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sharing my Trans Am (temporarily)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Sharing my Trans Am (temporarily)

Will a shift kit help tame my Yank SS3600 stall converter without losing performance? My son is a sophomore and turns 16 in October. He can't park at school until he's a junior, next year. I want to share my Trans Am with him for a year, until I can buy him a Honda Accord. I need for him to know the car feels more 'streetable' 'cause he's a new driver and is scared of the car. Will a TransGo shift kit help him feel more comfortable with driving my car?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No I think it would do just the opposite, in fact if set up too far from stock can be dangerous even for a somewhat skilled driver who's never driven a car with a shift kit.
Say for example not being prepared for a firm 1-2 upshift while taking off from a stop light and doing the left turn on a damp road.

I'd tame it through tuning.
A shift kit wouldn't even be a consideration.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Scary thought, giving your modded T/A to a 16 year old to drive. I have two sons, 22, and 19, and neither one has ever driven any of my Formulas or GTO's.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No a shift kit will not tame it. To tell you the truth, your car is likely too powerful for him, MUCH too powerful. I'm 20 and got my car when I was about 18. I can admit now that I'm glad I didn't have it when I was 16, for I would not have been able to handle it at all.

We're not trying to bash your son or anything, it's simply that age where testosterone runs high and experience runs low. Bad combination for a nice TA. We're just giving you fair warning that if you share that TA with him for a year, it may end up in a junkyard
Old 07-24-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

That's exactly why I'm caging it before he starts driving it. Rev limiter will be set to 4000 rpm's so other driver's and families will be protected, as well.

I'm know you're not bashing my son, because, no-one in the world could have crashed more vehicles than I did when I was 16-18 years old. I was on foot at the age of 19 ... LOL!!!!

My son has a lot of respect for power. He's learned to drive my Trans Am and drives it well. He's much more responsible than I was when I was his age. The only car I DID NOT crash (as a teen) was my dad's '67 Pontiac GTO. I was afraid of that car and, thus, respected it enough that I didn't hotrod it (much ... lol!).

I know most of the younger kids with Cobra's and F-body's around town and they know my car. I'll know when my sons doesn't drive it right. It's a small town. What could he possibly abuse at 4000 rpm' limit?

There's also a now 17 y.o. neighbor who is a member of this board. My son saw what irresponsible driving did to my neighbor's car. Fortunately, for my son and I, my son learned a valuable lesson from my neighbor's experience. Fortunately, for my neighbor, he learned a very valuable lesson, as well. He's a great young guy ... was 16 when he got his 2002 NHRA edition Trans Am. Jumped a curb on wet roads and crashed the living s%&* of of his car.

Questions I ask myself are these:

1. Would I have given myself my Trans Am to drive when I was 16? ... HELL NO!!!
2. Would I give my son my Trans Am to drive now? ... yes, but with some hesitation.

Thanks for the replies ... please feel free to provide more input. I know that it's not a question of whether a 16 y.o. will have a fender bender, but, that, it's only a matter of time.

Back to the original subject:

Will a shift kit help tame my Yank SS3600 stall converter without losing performance? My son is a sophomore and turns 16 in October. He can't park at school until he's a junior, next year. I want to share my Trans Am with him for a year, until I can buy him a Honda Accord. I need for him to know the car feels more 'streetable' 'cause he's a new driver and is scared of the car. Will a TransGo shift kit help him feel more comfortable with driving my car?

Old 07-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will a TransGo shift kit help him feel more comfortable with driving my car?
no

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
I want to share my Trans Am with him for a year, until I can buy him a Honda Accord
Wow, that's a drastic change
Philip S.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

The Accord will be juiced, but, a small shot to start with. After that, he's working to pay for whatever else he wants to do to it. Right now, it's just not financially sound to get rid of my car, by him a Honda Accord to share with me and then have to turn around and buy myself another car and re-mod it all over again ... when he's able to drive to school in September of next year.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Pontiacerator

Ok, Jeb, so let me get this straight ... you're going to let your 16 year old son drive your modded T/A until you can get him started on some rice ... juice, how 'bout fart pipe? I guess everybody marches to the beat of their own inner music ... that's what makes life a symphony ...
Old 07-24-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

That's a good conclusive evaluation. Unless you could provide a little funding for his insurance on an F-Body, I guess it'll be a ricer with a fart pipe ... LOL !!!!! His gas account could use a few extra dollars, as well ... let me know if you can help him out Rev. Else, a fart pipe it will be.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

JEB99....buy him an accord now and you'll be saving the trans am from being destroyed.

If not, I hope he's careful
Old 07-24-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

That's what I initially wanted to do, but, I would have to sell my car and lose $2,000 from the average retail of it (they're going here in FL for about $13,000), Then, I would lose $10,000+ in aftermarket parts and costs. Then, I would have to share a $20,000 2003 Accord with him for 15 months that I can buy for him next year for $16,000 (another $4,000 loss). Then, I would have to buy another Trans Am next year and put another $10,000 in to it to mod it. $25,000+ in the hole. It would be nice to simply buy him an Accord, but, I just can't right now ... and still keep the TA.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
JEB99....buy him an accord now and you'll be saving the trans am from being destroyed.

If not, I hope he's careful

Trust me. I got my Z28 when I was 17 (four years ago), and I would absolutely positively never recommend anybody else ever do that. 99.9% of guys could NOT handle that. Especially at 16.

At the VERY least I'd put a black box or equal on the car so that you can monitor the driving. Seriously. If you can monitor and he is carefull (scared of car is good) that's a good start.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Launching!

What about getting him a used Accord now rather than a brand new one later? Something that'll get him around for a year and be easy on the wallet, and not so tough to swallow if something happens to it.

I'm 21, my first car was a '89 Thunderbird with a 130 HP V6. I went from that to a '86 Trans Am (LG4), to a '91 Trans Am (LB9), to my '99 T/A. It's been a nice curve, no incidents as of yet
Old 07-24-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd also pose the question of why get a 16K dollar car for a 16 year old? Get him a 4 year old Civic now, for 8K and then you won't have to worry (as much) about him crashing your car, ending up in the hospital, or having to make bail.

I started with a '92 Grand Am, then went to a Grand Prix GTP, and now I have an LS1 car as well. Starting with that car is just asking for trouble.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Launching!

get him a beater....thats what m my dad did ...or make him ride the buss to school it builds charactor
Old 07-24-2005, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

i think young drivers respect power differently depending on which vehicles they are usually around and which vehicles they start out with. I started out with a Ford Taurus GL with a meager 145hp. Everytime i get in my car now, its like a party. Because of my understanding of how i drive, i wouldnt recommend starting out driving the car i have now. BUT, it would have been a different story had i actually started with an ls1 car. Right now i'm mesmerized by 300 hp, but if i would have started out with it, my mindset would have been "oh ****, this car can kick my ***". I knew plenty of kids in highschool that drove their 11-12 sec fox-bodies to school everyday. They all made it out alive (although some of their cars didnt). Your off to a good start if he is already scared of the car. The more he knows that the car requires attention and respect while driving the more likely it is he'll do fine with the car.

And for the whole honda thing, i think after a year you are going to end up with another f-body in your driveway. I definitely see some father-son duels in the future if thats the case.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
That's a good conclusive evaluation. Unless you could provide a little funding for his insurance on an F-Body, I guess it'll be a ricer with a fart pipe ... LOL !!!!! His gas account could use a few extra dollars, as well ... let me know if you can help him out Rev. Else, a fart pipe it will be.
Ok, I'll 'fess up ... my oldest daughter has had two Hondas - that I bought for her (way used). But I would have drawn the line at a fart pipe. Absolutely, positively. But after all, she's a girl. (I'm asking for trouble now). My oldest son, different deal. He drives a V6 Firebird with the performance package. It's about easing him into the tradition gently ... with reasonable insurance.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

RevGTO, I actually have been looking at a V6 F-Body for him. My daughter has a Honda, as well ... LOL!!!! The V6 F-Body's are actually MUCH, MUCH cheaper than the Honda Accord. I think that's good advice. Anyone else care to weigh in on this? It meets my economicl needs and seems to be the right choice from the options I have weighed.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

lol buy him a $500 car to drive for a few months ...i have a few friends that had to drvie that kinda crap! they run, just look like crap. he should be happy your buying him a car!!! i bought all 4 of my cars (i am 20) total cost in cars $30,000. no offence but your being too nice, if your so afraid of him wrecking your T/A don't let him, there are other options.