Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best converter for all-bolt-on cars with non-Nitto/DS3 street tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's the best converter for all-bolt-on cars with non-Nitto/DS3 street tires?

I probably won't install a torque converter until after I've installed the following mods in this order:

- subframe connectors
- shocks, springs
- adjustable lower control arms, brackets, and panhard rod
- cold air induction
- lid
- longtube headers, high flow y-pipe with cats
- catback
- dyno-tune (full torque management intact)
- LPE GT2-3 cam
- dyno-tune (full torque management intact)

After all of that's done, I want the most streetable torque converter installed. When I say streetable, I'm talking about no loss in fuel economy. I don't even want to know that the torque converter is there! And on the dragstrip, I want to be able to use V-rated high performance tires with the torque converter and still see ET reductions. I don't want to resort to using expensive Nittos or GS-D3's just to hook up. I also want to continue to launch at idle. Could somebody please recommend a torque converter that'll meet my criteria? Thanks in advance for the info.

Last edited by damon_Z; 08-06-2005 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Don't get a converter. Buy the fuzzy dice mod., no mileage/traction loss.
Seriously, The best mod for a A-4 is a converter. Good luck on your list because with your criteria voids all your intended mods. At least all the horsepower mods were last on the list.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by damon_Z
I When I say streetable, I'm talking about no loss in fuel economy. I don't even want to know that the torque converter is there!
Since converters need a little more pedal to get the car moving I doubt there is one that will let you have the same fuel econmy, unless it is always locked and used only for highway driving.