Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter and BIG stall in snow...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter and BIG stall in snow...?

Any of you guys have a "harder" time in the snow with a converter, compared to a stock converter? Looking to get a converter but am affraid it will make it alot harder in the snow, or am I just retarded for asking such a dumb question?
TJ
Old 08-06-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

I mostly hear that it's a bit easier in the snow or adverse conditions like the rain, mainly because the stall is looser and it takes more pedal to get going. You therefore can use that looseness in the pedal to feel how much you can give it before it starts to slip and slide around.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know, the first high stall (non lock up) converter I used started coupling up tight while I was just cruising down a damp highway. The rear tires were starting to break loose and if I wasn't paying attention it could have gotten away from me and caused a wreck.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I daily drove mine for 3winters. I didn't notice any difference over my stock converter in the snow and ice, but to be honest with you, I don't even remember what the stock converter felt like.

Of course I only have a SY3500 which is more of a street converter and not considered 'BIG' by todays standards.

If you're worried about driving in the snow, get snow tires. They will make a huge difference when driving in snowy conditions.

Gary
Old 08-06-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Had no issues in my stalled 94 vette with 3:73's in WI winters. You should be fine.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
I mostly hear that it's a bit easier in the snow or adverse conditions like the rain, mainly because the stall is looser and it takes more pedal to get going. You therefore can use that looseness in the pedal to feel how much you can give it before it starts to slip and slide around.
This was my experience. It made a HUGE difference. Stock converter and as soon as I looked at the gas the wrong way the car was all over the place. With a stall I could moderate exactly how much acceleration I wanted the car to have. Much easier in adverse conditions, just had to take it VERY slow because if you get in a hurry that extra torque multiplication can make it just as bad or worse than stock.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys!