Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping in 700r4, tailshaft issues

Old 08-11-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping in 700r4, tailshaft issues

I was told by the builder I would get the correct tailshaft for my application. I ended up getting the old 700r4 tailshaft with no torque arm mount and it has a mechanical speedo sensor. I will obviously have to call about that but I am thoroughly confused with the two pics below. The pic on the left is a third gen tailshaft with torque arm mount and mechanical speedo. The one on the right is a 1998 4l60e tailshaft with no torque arm mount. Besides my speedo being mechanical and the right pic being electronic, the tailshafts look the same. Why no torque arm mount? Anyone know anything about this?
Attached Thumbnails Swapping in 700r4, tailshaft issues-tailshaft_700r4.jpg   Swapping in 700r4, tailshaft issues-tailshaft_4l60e.jpg  
Old 08-12-2005, 05:41 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one on the right is for a ? '98 and up 4L60E with a six bolt tail housing, just like the one on my car except mine has a torque arm mount.
The one on the left is a '82 to '92 4L60 and 4L60E tail housing with a torque arm mount.

Find a trans hardpart supplier and get an f-body six bolt 4L60E tail housing. (aka extension housing).

Why no torque arm mount?
Because it's not for an f-body.
Don't let him try to give you a trans for your '98 that has a four bolt tail housing, it's not the correct transmission.

Besides my speedo being mechanical and the right pic being electronic, the tailshafts look the same.
Not hardly, one is a four bolt like I said and one is a six bolt. And in later years an electronic speedo sensor went in that hole for the left one.

Last edited by jxaxsxoxn; 08-12-2005 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I am new to all this auto stuff. Thanks for clearing that up. BTW, the guy e-mailed me back on the newer tailshaft. He took it out of a retrofit and was told the drivetrain was from a 98 Camaro. I started thinking that maybe they had swapped in tailshafts from a Blazer or something.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

I located a new tailshaft with the proper brackets on it. I'm good to go there! I did have to change the speedo gear which is in another thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping in 700r4, tailshaft issues