Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose noises after Spohn TA and Moser Rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose noises after Spohn TA and Moser Rear

I just installed a Spohn Torque Arm and Moser 12 Bolt. I left the Sway Bar off. Car runs fine except that at times it feels and sounds a little loose especially from a part throttle shift from 2-3(4l60E w/TCI 3000 stall) I looked under the car and the drive shaft hump is being beat in by the top of the Torque Arm, I know that, but there is a hitting noise near the tranny. This is what I am thinking, the TA is no longer mounted to the Tranny, do you think the rubber tranny mount could be allowing the tranny to move around, if so do you feel that a Polyurethene mount to help this situation. Any one else expirienced this situation besides me?

2002 SLP SS SSM
Z06 Springs, Hot Cam, Moser 12 Bolt 3.73s 4L60E w/TCI Flexplate and 3K stall
SLP SFCs, Spohn Torque Arm and Adjustable Pan Hard Rod, UMI LCAs,rear V6 springs, 100 NX wet kit, Drilled and Slotted rotor...Yada Yada Yada Blah Blah Blah Same stuff everyone else has on here.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

I get a thunk, under light throttle, but I do not have a loop, and nothing is hitting my driveshaft. I have made sure the T/A is not hitting anything. I think it is where the strap from the crossmember to the actual arm connect. I have tried to tighten it, with no luck. I have tried adjusting the length of the arm, and no luck. I have made sure the bolts to the floor are tight. No luck. I think I just have to live with it.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Teching In

That is what I am thinking too, and your are very right, it happens under light throttle, not WOT. Anybody else experience this?
Old 09-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Teching In

I've got it too and have no idea what it is. My Spohn TA has been on for almost two years and has mad this noise ever since. Kind of annoying, but doesn't seem to be causing any problems.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vinnie
That is what I am thinking too, and your are very right, it happens under light throttle, not WOT. Anybody else experience this?
I have it too, I believe it is very common with the setup. Do not care for it too much myself...

'J
Old 10-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Banned

i have this with my th-400 trans... i thought it was a loose trans, but nothing seems to be moving around when i get under there. t/a is tight, and everything. the loop looks like it's close to hitting the driveshaft but it's not..... black painted shaft, i would easily see it if it had been rubbing... oh yea.. i have the spohn as well. i just think we get a lot more chassis noise becuase there is no bushing to dampen vibration at the t/a mount anymore.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

This 'clunking' issue with the Spohn TA has been discussed before...

On the Spohn unit that has it's own front crossmember (not mounted to the tranny), the noise comes from the pivoting style front mount and is 'normal' according to Spohn.

As far as the front mount goes - the (2) fasteners should be torqued to the recommended spec - one is looser than the other - don't just tighten the snot out of both of them - it won't make the noise go away, but it will hamper the correct action of the arm.

Had the clunking noise in mine from the getgo - I guess we're supposed to live with the xtra noises that HiPerf parts impart. If you don't want the noise you'll have to go back to a sliding style front mounted TA of some type.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice all of you.