Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI Bolts, ARP bolts, and OEM bolts, WTF.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCI Bolts, ARP bolts, and OEM bolts, WTF.

OK. My TCI torque converter came with 3 bolts. The bolts are larger diameter than the OEM bolts. So therefore they won't fit through the stock flywheel holes. Then, I have some ARP bolts on hand, they are around 1/2 as short at the OEM bolts? OK, this is what puzzles me. The bolts that came with the TCI verter do not fit. So I use the ARP bolts, they strip out the torque converter ears (with little force). One of my flywheel bolt holes was a little out of round so I try a TCI bolt, it fits through the flywheel hole but is too large for the ears?!
So here's what it is.
1.TCI torque converter bolts- Too large for the converter ears and the stock OEM flywheel
2. OEM bolts are too small in diameter and strip the t/c ears
3. The ARP bolts are too small in diameter, too short and strip the t/c ear.

So what's up!? This has been my experience from pulling my transmission 5 times, I never could figure out why none of the bolts work. Could someone please enlighten me? I want to tap it out so I can use the TCI bolts, but what size are they etc?
Thanks.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just test fit my TCI last night, I'm waiting for parts so I can't put the trans in.

I got three 7/16x3/4 fine thread grade eight bolts, and three grade eight 3/8 washers (3/8 fit tight).

I drilled the oval hole to 7/16, bolted the converter up with all three bolts. Took it back off and put it in the box. This way when I have the trans bolted up I know the converter bolts won't be a problem.

Stock bolts are metric, ARP bolts who knows what size they are, depends on what they were ordered for.
Seems all converter manufacturers use different bolt sizes. If you tried to run a metric bolt through it you should run a tap through it next.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
I just test fit my TCI last night, I'm waiting for parts so I can't put the trans in.

I got three 7/16x3/4 fine thread grade eight bolts, and three grade eight 3/8 washers (3/8 fit tight).

I drilled the oval hole to 7/16, bolted the converter up with all three bolts. Took it back off and put it in the box. This way when I have the trans bolted up I know the converter bolts won't be a problem.

Stock bolts are metric, ARP bolts who knows what size they are, depends on what they were ordered for.
Seems all converter manufacturers use different bolt sizes. If you tried to run a metric bolt through it you should run a tap through it next.
Glad your trans is coming along soon, seems like you're getting everything perfect!

So you tapped the converter ear and flywheel to 7/16 and used the 7/16x3/4 bolts with washers? Were these bolts just from a hardware store?
Thanks!
Philip S.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well TCI suggested my car would work best with a street fighter, forgot the number.
Looked it up, it says it requires you to drill the flexplate to 7/16".
I got the converter used. It was drilled and tapped for 7/16 fine thread bolts.

The bolts I have are hardware store bolts.

Not worried about though. I once took a 4L80E out of my one ton 454 powered dually, put in a th350 for temp use and used grade two 3/8 bolts . They never broke .
Old 11-20-2005, 06:33 PM
10 Second Club

To use the TCI bolts, just drill the flexplate holes to size and you're good. I did mine over a year ago with zero problems.

Quick Reply: TCI Bolts, ARP bolts, and OEM bolts, WTF.