Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to TC's...Lil Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to TC's...Lil Help!

I am just getting around to putting a TC on my car, but dont know all the facts about them. Here are a few questions:

1.) How do they affect drivability on the street? (I will be mostly all street, maybe an trip to the track once a year)
2.) Lock up Converter, Non-Lock up Converter...which is better for the street and why?
3.) The STR I know that the higher it is the harder its gonna hit and the harder it is to get traction especially on the street, what is the run down on the STR?
4.) I am also looking at doing a H/C over the winter, How do I know what converter would be best with this H/C setup (Im looking at the Patriot LS6 Stage II Heads, and a street type cam to go with it maybe a 224/224 .580, Im still trying to figure out what cam Im going with)
5.) Im looking into the Fuddle converters, what size of converter will have the best streetability, but give me some punch at the same time?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but hopefully this thread will clear some things up for me...Thanks fellas
Old 11-29-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone...
Old 11-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Teching In

I called fuddle racing and asked him all those questions. He has a good way of explaining all that stuff for you and helping you choose what converter is best for your application.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:30 AM
12 Second Club

Lemme see if I can at least give you a basic answer to these questions:
1. It'll take more throttle and higher rpm's to accelerate at a given pace over the stock TC. ie instead of keeping up with traffic off a light at 1500 rpm's, you might need 2500.

2. Lockup is better for the street, as it will achieve a 1:1 ratio in 3rd and 4th gear, letting you net the same highway gas milage as the stock TC when over ~40 mph in 4th gear.

3. STR is the multiplication of torque though the TC. How high of str you're gonna want is a question I'd definately ask John @ Fuddle Racing about.

4. A TC vendor could field that question for you. Again, I'd reccomend John @ Fuddle. He seemed to know his stuff hands down, and was always speedy with his replies.

5. Good choice with the fuddle...lol Depending on your goals, I'd venture to say a regular performance TC would suffice. However, to get a definate on the question, I'd call or E-mail John.

Sorry to make this a Fuddle based response, but he's who I've dealt with and am confident in reccomending. In reality, any TC vendor could probably field all of your questions, but at least there are some of the basics for ya.

Anyone feel free in correcting anything I might have misstated.

Originally Posted by HILL_SS
I am just getting around to putting a TC on my car, but dont know all the facts about them. Here are a few questions:

1.) How do they affect drivability on the street? (I will be mostly all street, maybe an trip to the track once a year)
2.) Lock up Converter, Non-Lock up Converter...which is better for the street and why?
3.) The STR I know that the higher it is the harder its gonna hit and the harder it is to get traction especially on the street, what is the run down on the STR?
4.) I am also looking at doing a H/C over the winter, How do I know what converter would be best with this H/C setup (Im looking at the Patriot LS6 Stage II Heads, and a street type cam to go with it maybe a 224/224 .580, Im still trying to figure out what cam Im going with)
5.) Im looking into the Fuddle converters, what size of converter will have the best streetability, but give me some punch at the same time?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but hopefully this thread will clear some things up for me...Thanks fellas
Old 11-29-2005, 04:49 AM
TECH Regular

Give John at Fuddle a call or PM him. He will be able to answer your questions and help you decide what is best for you based on intended use of the car and your expectations. I installed a Fuddle 3400 2.1 this past weekend and I love it! One of the best mods for an automatic car. Also, I'm going to run a cam similar to the one you mentioned. If the car is not your daily driver you might want to go with a 3600-3800 rpm stall TC. Mine ran flawlessly from BG KY to Louisville KY coming home after visiting relatives for Thanksgiving. No tuning yet and no DTCs.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lockup converter is if you are driving on the highway the converter locks up like a 5th gear or another overdrive, where non lock up is the opposite.A torque converter will take a little more rpms to get goin I have a Yank SS 3200 Stall, Great for street/Strip, It gives you an advantage off the line,In combination with gears like 3.73 Its like a rocket off the line and that much more for the competition to catch up to you.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this link
http://www.converter.cc/faq/faq.htm
or give us a call 775 826 9955
Old 11-29-2005, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My vote is for the yank SS series thes now have three that should be in your range SS3200, SS3400, SS3600 (mine very streetable probably a little to much if you really want a converter to feel like the stock converter). I would say go with the SS3200.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:24 AM
12 Second Club

Like some of the others said, give John at Fuddle a call. He will help you.