Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about my cable modulated 700r4

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about my cable modulated 700r4

I haven't tried full automatic shifting at the track yet but on the street, I barely tap the gas and it shifts almost instantly. I'm in OD before I know it. Do I need to adjust my cable? I followed the directions in my Chilton manual for cable adjustment. I wanna make sure it revs out on the strip before it shifts.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Cable will effect the shifts only slightly. Make sure the cable is fully extended at WOT, and its set. The shifts are controlled by the valves and springs in the valvebody, and to an extent the govenor springs and weights. Thats why 700s are a PITA to set up in comparison to the 4l60e, that is shifted electronically.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, I pressed the little adjustment thingie on the cable, pulled my throttle all the way over and that was it. Guess I'll just have to test and see. I tried manual shifting my first and only time out. I've read now that it's not recommended. I'm gonna drop it in D and go. Hope it doesn't shift at like 4,000 or something.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Yeah, I pressed the little adjustment thingie on the cable, pulled my throttle all the way over and that was it. Guess I'll just have to test and see. I tried manual shifting my first and only time out. I've read now that it's not recommended. I'm gonna drop it in D and go. Hope it doesn't shift at like 4,000 or something.
Dont know where you read that it wil hurt a 700 to manually UP shift it, but there completely wrong . It wont hurt a thing. It wont even "hurt" a4l60e, just make it shift delay, due to the fact that when you manually shift a "E" trans, you are just making the switches that tell the pcm to shift. the pcm checks the tables to see if it is time to shift, which takes time. However, manual downshifting can possibly damage a trans IF it actuall downshifts
Old 11-29-2005, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problem you are having with the early upshifts, adjusting the cable did very little to correct it.....ended up going full manual valve body.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a feeling I might end up spending more money in the end. Oh well, isn't that what this game is all about?