Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hey guys i am a die hard manual guy but i have a torque coverter question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey guys i am a die hard manual guy but i have a torque coverter question

ok i am kinda wondering how torque converters work, and affect daily driving. From my understanding there are little "fingers" inside that require a certain amount of centrifical force in order to apply "grab". Ok if that is right cool if not please elabortate a little for me.

Now on to the real world question. Suppose i were to have an automatic transmission car, Ls1 or not, And i put in a 3500 stall speed converter. Does this mean that during daily driving that my engine will never be allowed to spin below 3500 and the car still move? what will happen during daily driving at a stoplight and i am not "getting on it". will the car still rev to 3500 rpm before moving, or will it act almost like stock unless i go WOT.

Please help me out.
Thanks
Louie
Old 02-11-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

The rated stall speed only occurs during WOT. The car will actually move and drive on the street between 1800-2500rpm.

I thought the same thing at first but that's just the RPM the converter will "flash" to when you nail it. It will "grab" and go at 3500rpm.

It also allows you to sit without the brake sort of like a manual.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

With a higher stall it will take a little more pedal at part throttle. It will also feel like it's slipping a little. Howstuffworks can explain it alot better as to how it works. But I'm pretty sure it won't sit there in gear with no brake, at least mine doesn't.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

It's going to depend on the stall speed. Some of the higher ones will but the lower ones wont (so i'm told).
Old 02-11-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Mine would sit in gear with no brake and a vig3200. It just depends how loose the convertor is. If it bothers you, you can raise the idle a little bit to get it to roll again.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

ok cool thanks guys. this is sort of what i had always figured, but a friend asked me if a 3500 rpm stall (for example) would only move at over 3500 rpm. i didnt think this was the case...but i never assume and figured that i would ask.

thanks again
Louie