Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many quarts in a TH400

Old 03-24-2006, 11:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many quarts in a TH400

Quick question....

How many quarts does a TH400 hold? And what tranny fluid do you recommend (for a TH400)?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know how different they are, but I use Type F in my th350, and would reccomend that for any other th350. So I would only imagine Type F would be the choice to use for a th400 also. As for brand, I don't think there's much of a difference. I just use your basic O Reilly's premium type F, and the tranny has no issues with slipping or delayed shifts

As for quarts, I was told mine would take anywhere between 8-12 quarts. In reality, it sits at a near perfect level with only 6 quarts in it. I think your best bet is to fill the pan (find out how much it can hold) with the car off and cold, let the car run for a few minutes (have fluid go through the converter and your cooler), then add as much as needed until you have the fluid level on the dipstick as you want. That's what I did, and I have no problems at all now. My tranny was slipping very bad, and all I did to fix it was what I just typed out. Hope this helps some
Old 03-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Strahley
I don't know how different they are, but I use Type F in my th350, and would reccomend that for any other th350. So I would only imagine Type F would be the choice to use for a th400 also. As for brand, I don't think there's much of a difference. I just use your basic O Reilly's premium type F, and the tranny has no issues with slipping or delayed shifts

As for quarts, I was told mine would take anywhere between 8-12 quarts. In reality, it sits at a near perfect level with only 6 quarts in it. I think your best bet is to fill the pan (find out how much it can hold) with the car off and cold, let the car run for a few minutes (have fluid go through the converter and your cooler), then add as much as needed until you have the fluid level on the dipstick as you want. That's what I did, and I have no problems at all now. My tranny was slipping very bad, and all I did to fix it was what I just typed out. Hope this helps some
Excellent...I appreciate the response

Premium Type F it is!!
Old 03-25-2006, 09:57 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/fluid_capacity.htm

Thats if the trans is dry, if I drain mine using the drain plug on the back of the trans pan it takes like 5.5 quarts to fill a TH400 with a deep (+2qt) pan with the car level.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont forget to add the capacity of the cooler and lines if you have one! Thats can be another 1-1.5 qts depending on size

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many quarts in a TH400