Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FREE way to get speedo to work in th350/th400.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crap, i think i ditched the woring for the front abs things already when i put my aerospaces on.....damndamndamn...
Old 06-13-2006, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TondSS
ok to explain this a little more what i have gatherd is

1: remove the speed sensor from the tranny it has a pig tail on it!

2: on the inside of the front tire there is a sensor (ABS sensor), that you are suposed to swap the (VSS)-speed sensor into your ABS SENSOR..( ABS sensor) hents you wont have ABS anymore . who needs it anyway!

3: then if were an M6 put in 2.76 for your gear ratio, ALSO AS STATED measure your front tires and put that in as your tire size. to be accurate measure the circumferance of your front tire and divide it by pi (3.14) and that is your right tire heigth.

sux2bu correct me if im wrong thanks!
TRhe ABS sensor is built into the hub on the front wheels. you don't swap sensors you just plug the speed sensor plug into the ABS sensor. but since the plugs are different you have tro splice the wires so you still use the ABS pigtail.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

ok cool thanks....does anyone have any pics of these sensors done like this , i think that would top it off and they would make this a sticky!!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Will this work for the front abs sensor on an LT1 car?
Old 11-24-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

so you can just strip the wires on the abs and strip the speedo wires and conect them to eachother with the abs still pluged in so you keep abs and have a speedo?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump for info on if it will work with LT1 ABS sensor
Old 12-01-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't see why you couldn't just tap into the speed sensor wires with the VSS wires. That way you could have both. Like with one of the those t-tap thingys.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Zombie
It should be possible to use a op amp as a buffer (such as a lm328) and keep ABS AND use it for a speedo pickup.
Could you elaborate on this? Where to get one and how one works?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
I don't see why you couldn't just tap into the speed sensor wires with the VSS wires. That way you could have both. Like with one of the those t-tap thingys.
The ABS computer will "sence" something is wrong and dissable the ABS.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very easy to do & works great
BTLFEDSS
Old 10-19-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Default back from the dead

Originally Posted by skipperbisket
crap, i think i ditched the woring for the front abs things already when i put my aerospaces on.....damndamndamn...
I thought I would bring this thread back from the dead to see if I can get a question answered. My question is if I use this method to get my speedo to work, but down the road I want to switch to aerospace front drag brakes will I still be able to get my speedo to work using this method?
Also I am having a th400 built right now and my builder wants to know which reluctor to use? This is going into a former t56 car.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, let me see if I'm getting this...

1) Find the speed sensor plug that hooked into the t56, cut the connector off and strip the ends of the wires

2) Find the ABS sensor for the front wheel (I'm guessing we have to use the driver's side, since the speed sensor is closer to it?), unhook it, cut the connector off, and wire this connector to the stripped wires of the speed sensor, plug into ABS sensor

3) Get the car tuned for 2.76 gears

Also for the tire size, do I need to tell the tuner both the front and rear tire size? My fronts are smaller/shorter than my rears, so I would think that I would need to

Also when I do the splicing, which wires need to go to which slot on the connector? I haven't looked at these connectors yet so I don't know how many wires go to each one
Old 10-20-2007, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fastGBcamaro
I thought I would bring this thread back from the dead to see if I can get a question answered. My question is if I use this method to get my speedo to work, but down the road I want to switch to aerospace front drag brakes will I still be able to get my speedo to work using this method?
Also I am having a th400 built right now and my builder wants to know which reluctor to use? This is going into a former t56 car.
YES. I had aerospace brakes on my car when i did this mod. As long as your brakes kit uses your stock hub this will work. I don't think the strange brakes use the stock hub, so i don't thinkyou can use this with strange brakes.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Strahley
Okay, let me see if I'm getting this...

1) Find the speed sensor plug that hooked into the t56, cut the connector off and strip the ends of the wires

2) Find the ABS sensor for the front wheel (I'm guessing we have to use the driver's side, since the speed sensor is closer to it?), unhook it, cut the connector off, and wire this connector to the stripped wires of the speed sensor, plug into ABS sensor

3) Get the car tuned for 2.76 gears

Also for the tire size, do I need to tell the tuner both the front and rear tire size? My fronts are smaller/shorter than my rears, so I would think that I would need to

Also when I do the splicing, which wires need to go to which slot on the connector? I haven't looked at these connectors yet so I don't know how many wires go to each one
1)YES

2)You can use either one. Yes.

3)Yes

Just put the front tire size in the tune. Stock tunning uses the rear tire size to calculate speed, Because the stock sensor is on the tranny tailshaft. With the stock set up you can put any size tire on the front of your car and the speedo will still be right (although you might set off your ABS light because of the different RPM's from the front tires and rear tires).
With the set up in this thread you are using the front tire size to calculatw speed. so after you set it all up you can swap to any size tire in the rear and (as long as you don't change front tire size) your speedo will be right.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

some pics of this install may help, the ones who cant get a mental image
Old 10-20-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
1)YES

2)You can use either one. Yes.

3)Yes

Just put the front tire size in the tune. Stock tunning uses the rear tire size to calculate speed, Because the stock sensor is on the tranny tailshaft. With the stock set up you can put any size tire on the front of your car and the speedo will still be right (although you might set off your ABS light because of the different RPM's from the front tires and rear tires).
With the set up in this thread you are using the front tire size to calculatw speed. so after you set it all up you can swap to any size tire in the rear and (as long as you don't change front tire size) your speedo will be right.
Awesome. This should be a pretty easy fix. Going on 2 years now without a speedometer, time to fix that!
Old 10-22-2007, 01:10 AM
10 Second Club

FWIW, I did this mod and I used to be an A4. HPtuners wouldnt accept 1.175 as a valid gear ratio. 2 is the lowest it would accept so i figured out that a 1.175 gear and 26" tire would equate to a 2.0 gear and 44" tire. well hptuners wouldn't accept 44 as a valid tire height, so I had to put in 40", the biggest it would accept which works out to a 1.3 effective ratio which is just a few mph off.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did the mod too and for the post above me I think the answer to your question or how to fix your mistake would be to divide your tire height by either 2.76 for an M6 or 1.175 for a A4... For example my tire combo on front is a 245/35/19 tire which works out to a tire height of 25.76" and then when you divide this by the 2.76 I get 9.333... You enter the 9.333 into the box and that's the data that it uses to calculate your speed.... Also if you want to be lazy about it I found a really good website to calculate your tire size without even thinking.. It's http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp ... It tells your everything about your tire size so you don't have to do any guessing what so ever...
Old 11-17-2007, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

so will it work on a 1995 lt1 car????????
Old 11-18-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just curious, what's different on the M6/A4 cars that call for 1.175 on one and 2.76 on the other, if you're tapping into the front wheels?

Quick Reply: FREE way to get speedo to work in th350/th400.