Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Noise Coming from Tranny, only in Overdrive, Help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird Noise Coming from Tranny, only in Overdrive, Help...

I dont haul *** everywhere I go, I mainly cruise in my Z28. It has a 4L60E with 3.23 rear end gears. It makes a "tinking" noise. I know for sure that when it is in "Park" or "Neutral" it does not make this noise. It makes it in Overdrive, which is the only gear I drive in. Not too sure about , D, 2, or 1 gears. Has anybody had this problem? My Car has only 43000 miles on it! Please help if you can.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:58 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it make the noise when you are in gear sitting still? In 4th gear the input sprag is over running. If damaged it might be making noise but it ususally locks up and the car will not move in the OD position. In 1st, 2nd and 3rd in it is holding. You might be describing a broken fly wheel or convertor that is starting to come apart. Do you hear the noise when doing a break torque? This will tell you to look at the tc or flywheel. Well this should give a few things to check. Good luck!

Last edited by FLT; 04-10-2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

It is a slight tinking noise that only happens when in any Forward Driving gear (OD, D, 2, 1). It doesnt happen in Park or Neutral. Once I apply gas it goes away and runs smooth. I'm getting confused from it.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:36 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure it's coming from the transmission. Does it make the noise sitting still while doing a mild break torque in gear? If I were you I would take it to quality shop and I'm sure they can pin point it for you. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

The noise is very spontaneous. Sometimes it is there and sometimes it isnt. When I start it up it will be there and sometimes it is gone. I guess you get the point. It does it at random times but never when the throttle is pressed. I'm gonna look at it this weekend and if i dont get anywhere I will take it into a shop.

Quick Reply: Weird Noise Coming from Tranny, only in Overdrive, Help...