Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It finally broke

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default It finally broke

Ive had a vibration for a while now, i was in the highway vibration thread and people were thinking it was the drive shaft. i had that balanced, new u joints, new slip yoke. well i was going to taco bell with my buddy and streachin her legs a little. long story short i coasted to a speedway pulled in raised the hood and smoke billowed (sp?) out. i didnt know what i did but i knew it finally broke and i was happy to find the source of the annoying vibration and get it fixed. come to find out it was the tail shaft, it broke right before the bolts...completely seperated from the rest of the tranny. im hopeing it didnt fry and thing in the tranny but they wont know until they fix that. i have to wait for my warranty people to check it out to see if they cover it. i have pics ill post them as soon and there uploaded.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I take it you broke a tailshaft housing at one time or another? I had the same vibration because I broke the housing, and in turn it bent the output shaft on the trans. Traver
Old 06-01-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did the exact same thing. Broke it off right before the bolts. The good news is that it's easy to replace. The bad news is that if it's been vibrating for a while as mine was, there's a good chance that the bushing at the tail of the case where the output shaft comes out is wiped out. Unfortunately, when the bushing goes it usually takes the case with it. You will no longer be able to press a new bushing in if the old one spun in the case. You could have it welded up and re-machined, but it would be cheaper to get a new case and a rebuild. I know because I'm supposed to pick up my car today from CK Performance Racing Transmissions for the exact same problem.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

im hopeing it will all be covered under warranty. i dunno thought because they still need to look at it. i got a new grand prix for my rental, its alright.