Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock trans in my 98 Z won't shift 2-3, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stock trans in my 98 Z won't shift 2-3, HELP

Ok I have a 98 Z auto. I drag race it only. It has a tci 3500. it runs 1/8th mile around 7.30-7.70 depending on the weather.
Ok its been doing fine for a long time and many many passes. but the other day me and my grandfather were racing it and the car was already hot because we were doubling up (which we always do anyway) and he staged up and thought the other car was already staged so he set there a while staged up and the next run I ran when it got time to shift to 3rd it just hit the rev limiter. It had a burning smell. the next day I changed the fluid and filter the fluid was a brownish color but there was no broken parts in there.
so I took it back to the track and it does the same thing still. at the end of the track just before the finish line it just hits the rev limiter. when coming back up the return road its like its stuck in OD and I have to pull it down to 1st or 2nd to get it to go. it lauches fine and is very consistant otherwise. I went ahead and raced it because I am in the points at the track and they accused me of cheating because they thought I had a high stage rev chip in it that makes it run dead on.(even though it didn't run dead on every time and normaly is just as consistant as it was but oh well).
does anyone know what could be wrong, is my trans screwed or is there a servo or valve that might have got too hot or something. thanks
Old 06-11-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like its time for a rebuild, sounds like the 2-3 band is burnt, at least thats what mine did and mine was doing exactly what yours was doing.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:50 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the 2-3 shift the 2-4 band releases and the 3-4 clutch applies. This what happens on the 2-3 shift. On the 3-4 shift the 2-4 band once again applies and we now have 4th gear. I believe that your 3-4 clutch pack is what is damaged. If there is anything we do help let us know.
Good luck, Vince.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok if my trans is gone.
could it run like it is for a while?
could I raise my rev limiter and shift points to make it shift only from 1-2 in the 1/8th mile. if so would any of you guys know what to set it to. it crosses at around 93mph now so I am guessing I would need to shift around 95mph what rpm would I be at. if that would work it could get me by until I get a new trans in.

next thing I would like to have a tbrake. would I have to change many things to put a th350 or 400 in it with a tbrake?

does anyone have a kit to covert it?

thanks
Old 06-11-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt