Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATF leaks onto headers and burns, what color should it be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ATF leaks onto headers and burns, what color should it be?

Can bluish smoke be ATF burning off? Not very blue, just a faint tint. *Edit: Fiance was with me and says that I am seeing things because there was no blue she could see, at all.*

Not sure where it came from but my car puked tranny fluid EVERYWHERE on the interstate not long ago. Just want to make sure only tranny fluid went somewhere.

I swear to god I am going to kill this god damn transmission!

*Edit to add pics*

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 06-25-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What the hell happened??? That's a lot of tranny fluid. To answer your question, I've never seen any blue hue come from burning tranny fluid.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:38 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had that happen in my old blazer. I was towing a horse trailer in the mountains and it overheated foamed up and puked out the vent in the top all over hell. the truck was acting fine i had no idea until I looked in the rearview mirror and blue smoke was rolling out the back. covered the whole underside of the truck, much worse than youre photo's. I let the thing cool off and went about my business. it definately factored in to the early demise of the tranny though. sure you dont have a cooler issue?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not think I have a cooling issue. The transmission temperature gauge stayed right where it should be the entire time. It lost a lost of fluid. I drove with smoke for probably 15 minutes before I got home so a lot of it was lose on the way.

I really have no time to look at it yet. Three exams and a quiz the next two days. I am going to see if I can figure out where it came from Friday, hopefully it was just a line issue around the radiator/cooler......