Sponsored by:

trans problems after rebuild??? 4l60e 98 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default trans problems after rebuild??? 4l60e 98 Z28

First off all the car does is race.
I got his way too hot a couple of weeks ago. me and my grandfather double up and we were both still in and in two classes each with only 4 cars left in each class. so it was already a little warm. well he thought the other car had staged so he staged and sat there for a long time with the car staged at around 2300rpm. the trans fluid was black and it smelt like burnt trans fluid.
third gear would no longer pull at all. as soon as it would hit third it was like nuetral. the car would shift to 3rd just before the finish line and I would let off the car would run around 7.85's. the car normally runs around 7.6 for the weather 1/8th mile.
I took it to a transmission shop. he said that the sprags or something like that was out/broke or what ever they do.
he rebuilt it. he put a shift kit in and a few other upgrades

I drove it around like he said to break it in. it seemed ok.
I took it to the track. the first pas was 8.45. it felt as if I was pulling a trailer down the track. it got down to low 8 second runs by the end of the night but it kept getting hotter and hotter and the fluid turned black. also sometimes it would get stuck in high gear after I ran down the track and stopped. it just would not pull off. but if you sat there a while it would finally downshift.

so I took it back to the trans shop. he said that a part he put in there was defective after he got it apart. something that was soposed to be drilled and it was bareley drilled or something like that. so he rebuilt it and I did as he said about breaking it in once again.

I took it back to the track again. when I was in the staging lanes I noticed something clanking and looked under the car and the torque arm bushing had most of the rubber broke off of it. I looked at it more closely and I noticed it was not even the same bracket because I had just bought a new one ealier this year and the dealer did not have it in stock and I needed it asap so I got one out of a low mileage car and it was marked by the salvage yard. they put one half of the bushing of mine on but the other half the one that bolts strait to the trans was not mine. Also the did not put the bolt to the dipstick to the trans back in so now my dipstick is all loose. I decided to go ahead and run it anyway as all it could do it have a little play and make a little noise.

this time it would not shift into third once again. but once I let off of it it would shift. after a few runs like that it would do the thing again about getting stuck in high gear after a run and after coming to a stop. it did not get hot this time and it ran around 7.95. on the last run it got stuck in high gear after the burnout and it would not but barely pull off the line. I had to drive in reverse to get back. now the trans shop is on vacation for a week and won't be back till next week.

the car has never had a shift kit before this could it be related??
before the rebuild the car has made about 3500 passes and never had a trans problem before exept for when I first put the cam headers and 3500 stall in it would hit the revlimiter once on 2-3 and then shift I added a half quart of trans fluid and problem solved not one problem till now.

Last edited by brandonppr; 06-26-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 z28 A4 as well. A bout a year and a half ago the tranny went out so i took the car to aamco. It turns out that the manager there was a big mussle car fan. He had a 69 camaro, 72 nova and a mustang sitting in the shop that he restored hiself. when i had the tranny rebuilt i had him install a shift kit and the tranny runs perfect! It sounds like the shop that you took it to is not doing something right. You might want to take it to another shop and get a second opinoin. Just my $.02
Old 06-27-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what about the money I already spent at this shop. they charged me $2200. I thought about asking them if they would take this trans back and give me a refund but they probley won't do it.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they used the Trans go shift kit then they may have used too many spacers in the 2-4 servo causing the band to be too tight around the drum. You can unbolt the drive shaft from the rearend, put the tranny in neutral, and try and spin the drive shaft. If it feels real tight or very hard to spin then you need to remove a spacer and then recheck. The bad news is that 90% of the time, the trans is already toast if it is found to be too tight. If it is getting stuck in gear, then you need to inspect the check ***** that are in the valve body (You will have to remove). 4L60's are known for the check ball to wear into the separator plate and get stuck. Hope this helped out.

Quick Reply: trans problems after rebuild??? 4l60e 98 Z28