Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank wont turn after converter install.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crank wont turn after converter install.

Should the crank not turn after you meet the tranny and motor? We are trying to rotate it so we can put the converter bolts. This is my first converter swap with the motor and tranny out of the car. Just doesn't make sense that if you loosen the bolts for the tranny a tad bit the crank turns very easily. But once you tighten the bolts down, you cannot turn that sucker anymore. Could it be that the tranny needs oil or that is not hooked up just yet? So pretty much the cranks turns and the converter spins when not group completely.

Any help would be appreciate it.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Launching!

the converter is not set all the way in,becarfull because you can break the pump on the transmission
Old 10-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Launching!

That's what I think it is, but how can you 100 percent know if it is or not? We pretty much push it in, rotate it until we heard it hit.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:17 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chances are that you have already hurt the pump and tc. Pull it back out and inspect the tc hub area where it slides into the pump. Also look at the pump gears to make sure that they look good. Good luck to you, Vince.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Launching!

with a ruler place it wher it bolts on to the engine it should sit in further in shold not hit ruler if it hits ruler it needs to go in more
Old 10-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FungusMungus05
That's what I think it is, but how can you 100 percent know if it is or not?
You will always have to move the converter forward at least 1/8" before it hits the flexplate. If you can't move it forward and backwards it's probably not in the pump right.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Well, it's in there right. It's not flush with the tranny it actually goes in an out and rotates smoothly. But now it makes a squeeling noise from the inside of the tranny. You think it needs oil? Hope there are no damaged internals.
I checked the tc hub and where the tc mounts on the tranny and everything seems to be okay.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:12 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

You might be hearing the low roller turning which is in the back of the case. If what your hearing is coming from the pump area I don't think a little oil is going to fix it. At this point the trans already had oil in it because your doing a tc swap correct? There should be some lube in the trans alreay therefor a little oil will not help the pump at this point. Did you hear the noise prior to bolting it to the block?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
You might be hearing the low roller turning which is in the back of the case. If what your hearing is coming from the pump area I don't think a little oil is going to fix it. At this point the trans already had oil in it because your doing a tc swap correct? There should be some lube in the trans alreay therefor a little oil will not help the pump at this point. Did you hear the noise prior to bolting it to the block?
Correct, we only heard it after we pulled the tc back off to check why is it that it would not turn once it was bolted to the motor. Sounds like maybe the the problem is with the tranny, huh? It's weird how the tc spins, the crank turns, but when you bolt the motor and tranny it will not rotate. Do you think the pump is damaged? And I checked the tc hub and where it slides into the hub and everything seems to be fine nothing broken or strange looking. Any other way to find out if the pump is damaged? If it is dmaged would it still let the tc rotate without any hesitation?
Old 10-01-2006, 06:29 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

The only way to tell for sure is to have pump removed and inspected. I think this is your best option. Vince
Old 10-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
The only way to tell for sure is to have pump removed and inspected. I think this is your best option. Vince
I'll go ahead and take it out to see if that is the problem.

Thanks for the great info.

Quick Reply: Crank wont turn after converter install.