Sponsored by:

Tranny Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny Vibration

Hey guys,

Since August of 05 after my gear install ive had a vibration, mainly at higher speeds 55+...greatest at 70-80. Ive been in the "highway vibration come inside" thread and really didnt get much from it. Ive changed u joints several times, gone through 3 slip yokes, bought a new driveshaft, got new tires twice, and my rims are balanced. So I was gunna go one more time to the track before I put her away for the winter but thought other wise due to things not working out. I put her in the air, took all the tires off, and ran her. still had the vibration so i took the rear rotors off, still had it. i knew it wasnt the motor because i revved to 4k in park to see if it did it and nothing. im thinking maybe axle shafts at this point but they are new. I took the driveshaft out and ran it again guess what, vibration there. So through process of elimination its not the motor or anything from the driveshaft including the driveshaft back. therefore I think its the tranny, have you guys ever heard of trannys vibrating. She shifts fine and doesnt show any signs of going at 77k. the vibration is through the car and i can feel it through the gas pedal and shift handle. its pretty bad at times but is somewhat inconsistant. its an a4 also. just thought id run my findings by you guys. maybe gather a few thoughts. ohh its not the tranny mount either because its new...
Old 10-10-2006, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Default Possibly a Bearing

Not exactly sure. I had a bearing problem one time but it was in the rear end of my 87 Monte Carlo SS. Caused a bad vibration but it would go away when I would go around curves. Similarly to how you said your problem is inconsistant.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

well to make sure it is the tranny you would have to have at least a yoke installed since the output shaft does require the supports or the tail housing bushing via the yoke , , but before i put that in I would check the motion in the output shaft there will be some but no alot up and down and remove tha tail housing and visually look up inside the trans and make sure the rear case bushing is there and that theres not excessive play ,
performabuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-10-2006, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

what kind of mount is it? i'd bet it's still the mount
Old 10-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

i see you noted that it happens at a certain speed but is it in a certain gear also. mine would vibrate when it shifted into 3rd. not all the time but a lot of times and then one day it went to shift to 3rd and nothing. lost 3rd and 4th gears. this was in a built 4l60e also.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

well mines not built yet, and i did lost a tailshaft going at a high rate of speed. As the speed went up it vibrated more and more and more. Then something gave way and the speedo did a level out up and down motion and I coasted into a gas station 1/4 mile up the road. it was the tailshaft but the vibration was there before and after not changing. When i changed the u joints it made the pitch a little different but thats it. The mount is pretty solid...its this one -----> http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...b6ec978e27a728