Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans experts, need advice. John Kilgore?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trans experts, need advice. John Kilgore?

Car is a procharged 402, reverse manual TH400 trans with brake, ATI 3200 stall that should flash to about 3800-4000. The converter was custom ordered for my setup.
Had the car dynoed last night, and it was flashing to almost 6,000 rpm's. They tryed the trans brake, and it kept reving way past 5,000 rpm's. The dyno graph jumps up at about 5800 rpm;s, then knose dives at about 200 rpm's later. They told me the converter must be shot. I called up ATI, and the technician told me theres no way the stall speed of the converter would of changed from what it was before, that most likely the trans is going. He told me it must be the pump.
I then called a local shop that builds racing trannys, and he informed me the stall speed could change if the converter is shot, something about the fins. I am hearing different things from both sides.
I am thinking of sending the converter back to have it looked it. The ATI technician sayed it will cost $65 to have it cut open and looked at, and then we could go from there, but they assured me the converter will be fine. My other option is to have the trans tested for line pressure, and possibly get it dynoed. What do you guys think? It was fine before, seemed to stall right at about 3800-4000 from what I recall. The converter only has a 1000 miles on it. What do you guys think?