Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th350 rebuilding questions, endplay...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default th350 rebuilding questions, endplay...

I am in the tear done phase of my th350 rebuild, and I have a couple questions.

1. The govenor cover is dented, do I need a new one? if so where do I get one?

2. When I removed the 1-2 accumulator cover there was soppused to be a large spring then the piston, thing is I had to pull the cover out of there and found there was NO spring, just the piston?? Whats up here?

3. Checking endplay with the trans hanging from crane, in a near vertical positon. Dial indicator mounted of magnet base on oil pump zeroed, and I push up on the output shaft. The output shaft will move and then stop at 17 thousands, then if I push a little harder it will keep moving and stop for good at 47 thousands. The book says when vertical I should have between 10-45 thousands, which reading is correct???

btw, the trans was working properly as of a month ago.

any help would be great!!!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:51 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

1. The govenor cover is dented, do I need a new one? if so where do I get one?
Fix the dent.

2. When I removed the 1-2 accumulator cover there was soppused to be a large spring then the piston, thing is I had to pull the cover out of there and found there was NO spring, just the piston?? Whats up here? Get a 1-2 accumulator spring from another transmission.

3. Checking endplay with the trans hanging from crane, in a near vertical positon. Dial indicator mounted of magnet base on oil pump zeroed, and I push up on the output shaft. The output shaft will move and then stop at 17 thousands, then if I push a little harder it will keep moving and stop for good at 47 thousands. The book says when vertical I should have between 10-45 thousands, which reading is correct??? Do not use the output shaft to check clearance, you have to check the input shaft as far as end play. .015" is a decent clearance. If you are running almost all bearings then you can go down to .005", otherwisw .015" is fine.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:53 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

1. The govenor cover is dented, do I need a new one? if so where do I get one? Fix the dent. The governor needs about .045" - .090" travel before it touches the cover.

2. When I removed the 1-2 accumulator cover there was soppused to be a large spring then the piston, thing is I had to pull the cover out of there and found there was NO spring, just the piston?? Whats up here? Get a 1-2 accumulator spring from another transmission.

3. Checking endplay with the trans hanging from crane, in a near vertical positon. Dial indicator mounted of magnet base on oil pump zeroed, and I push up on the output shaft. The output shaft will move and then stop at 17 thousands, then if I push a little harder it will keep moving and stop for good at 47 thousands. The book says when vertical I should have between 10-45 thousands, which reading is correct??? Do not use the output shaft to check clearance, you have to check the input shaft as far as end play. .015" is a decent clearance. If you are running almost all bearings, instead of thrust washers, then you can go down to .005", otherwise .015" is fine.

Last edited by PBA; 12-11-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so how should I go about checking endplay?, have trans hanging verticaly or horizontal?

Do I only move the input shaft back and forth by hand?

thanks
Matt
Old 12-12-2006, 01:37 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

I build mine horizontal, so that would be how I check it.

Quick Reply: th350 rebuilding questions, endplay...