Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI Converter Fails after a 2 Months

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCI Converter Fails after a 2 Months

I just wanted to share my last experience with TCI.

About a month-month and a half ago I had my transmission rebuilt by Ron Lee (not sure if anyone has heard of him on here, Ed Wright Referred him to me 9.95 LT1 N/A) and while I had it being built I decided to get my TCI Super Street Fighter restalled to a 4000.

So I send my converter off for the restall. Time passes I get it all back and ready to go. Put in my tranny and new converter and go for a test drive. Right off the bat the converter seemed ridiculously loose. Both F-bodies I owned had 3500-3800 converters and this one was so loose it never even flashed. Motor just blew threw it and shifted. I had my doubts at first but I thought maybe it needed to break in a little bit so I just drove it around. It only got looser....

Sooner I started noticing it making a grinding noise when it would try to lock up. Getting suspicious I grabbed the packing slip on the box of the converter. On it i found "Loose as possible" on the packing slip.

Now how does 4000 RPM ("500 above the SSF") translate into "Loose as possible"? Your guess is as good as mine, but with some of my past experiences it didnt surprize me to much.

I knew I was going to have to send the converter back but this being a daily driver and I sold my last transmission I would have to wait a couple months, college student with a part time job I dont have to much lump sums of cash sitting around.

Anyways earlier tonight on my way home i pinned it and let it drop into first. It grabbed and then started hitting the limiter. I let out imediatly and we turned it around and headed for my buddies house back in his neighborhood. About a block from his house the car died.

I was pretty scared I had bent a rod having hit the limiter like that. I double checked all fluids and checked around the car to look for and signs of a rod out the block because it made some bad noises when it died.

After about 5 minutes i started the car back up and that rocks in a barrel rolling down the hill sound was there. I've heard a converter shell before and I'm sure thats what has happened here.

This converter was on my cam only N/A car, been to the track one time on bald nittos. Its maybe a month or two old, it hasnt been to long at all.

I know it took the $1000 built tranny along with it too.

I havent contacted TCI yet but I will politly call them tomorrow and see what they can do about this. This is my daily driver and I have class starting next monday. I have no money to my name and a car payment I have to pay with my part time job this Friday.

It really pisses me off when I pay someone to do a job and they fail to do it because of ignorance and incompatance. Not only am I dealing with the inconvience but the money I'm going to have to throw down to get the transmission rebuilt again, that is only a month of two old. This isnt the first time I've had problems with a TCI converter. I tried to track down that packing slip earlier today to call them but couldnt find it, i'll look for it tomorrow and if I find it I'll post it up.

Hopefully they will take care of me on this when I talk to them tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted on this situation and let you know how they handle it.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks man, but the converter was making grinding noises and abnoxiously loose/slipping and you decided to go WOT on it?

I'm sure TCI will help you out, especially once you pull it and can determine the cause of failure. Let us know.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah that was kinda dumb to romp on it if you suspected problems.. Good luck though
Old 01-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

You are obviously not getting your monies worth out of that college education...

Broke dick college student + Fbody Daily driver + strange noises + romper stomper WOT = Crybaby broke dick college student with broke car.

Sell the car, buy a cheap dependable Jap beater, drop the liberal arts degree, enroll in accounting, and join Dr. Phil's forum where you can have your wine and cheese.

Dude, seriously man up and call/PM TCI rather than come on here and make it sound like this was anybody's but your own fault.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Doc
You are obviously not getting your monies worth out of that college education...

Broke dick college student + Fbody Daily driver + strange noises + romper stomper WOT = Crybaby broke dick college student with broke car.

Sell the car, buy a cheap dependable Jap beater, drop the liberal arts degree, enroll in accounting, and join Dr. Phil's forum where you can have your wine and cheese.

Dude, seriously man up and call/PM TCI rather than come on here and make it sound like this was anybody's but your own fault.
For one I'm not a ******* cry baby, I'm gonna pull the car down tonight. I'm not going for liberal arts, I'm going for mech. engineering and three I gew up in the ******* sticks so I'll have a bud on that, you can keep your whine and cheese.

I made this post to inform other people of my problem and if TCI would help, so move on internet hulk. It happened at 1 AM last night, they are open 8-5 I think.

Last edited by Jordan S.; 01-03-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Even better yet, Mech Eng.? And you admit to knownly beating on your only daily driver that had been making all that clatter? And then you further proved my point by calling out a company on the internet in the wee hours of the morning instead of waiting to call them durning business hours and give them a chance.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

It would sometimes grind if I left it in OD when it locked up, if i left it in D it typically wouldnt do it or slip, and I'd been driving with it in D for a while unless on the highway, and drove it so it wouldnt make that noise.

The packing slip said loose as possible. The converter felt loose as possible. I knew something was up with the lock up assembly but does the lock up assembly engage under WOT? Nope. They just built it entirely to big, that doesnt mean its bad.

And I'm not saying they are a bad company, no where did I say that. Their product failed me, thats a fact. I called them earlier and so far they have been very helpful. I'm probaly going to pull it tomorrow and call the guy I've been speaking with again and go from there.

I made this post to help people with their future desicions on parts and cars and how companies deal with their customers, not to rag on them. Every company has had parts fail, but will every company stand behind their product. Thats what this post is about and I'm going to let others know how my situation turns out.

Your reading this all wrong man. I made this post to help other people out, not for you to entertain yourself on and try to talk **** on the internet. So please, if you dont have anything useful to say
Old 01-03-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get it torn apart and see what is up. Hope it's not that bad.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Well yes I have one more useful thing to say. Upon reviewing this thread many times to try to dissect any useful information that you claim to have, it seems as though the whole thrust of your complaint revolves around a much talked about but not seen by anybodyelse, packing note that proclaimed "Loose as possible..." which in your testamonial was an agrecious error of what you originally wanted which was a restall of a 3500 SSF to 4k correct? I'm game, if you have the offending packing slip then scan it and post it. If you have Velma and Scooby Doo out in the Mystery Machine ready to uncover TCI's wicked plot... Note Mods, I have not used any profanity in these posts. Sarcasm and a demand for the truth- guilty as charged. I'm out.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

I'm sure you did read it many times, that in no way surprizes me so you can support your little "case".

So with that here's some truth, get a ******* life!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:33 AM
SPL
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Doc
Well yes I have one more useful thing to say. Upon reviewing this thread many times to try to dissect any useful information that you claim to have, it seems as though the whole thrust of your complaint revolves around a much talked about but not seen by anybodyelse, packing note that proclaimed "Loose as possible..." which in your testamonial was an agrecious error of what you originally wanted which was a restall of a 3500 SSF to 4k correct? I'm game, if you have the offending packing slip then scan it and post it. If you have Velma and Scooby Doo out in the Mystery Machine ready to uncover TCI's wicked plot... Note Mods, I have not used any profanity in these posts. Sarcasm and a demand for the truth- guilty as charged. I'm out.
You are a dick. I'm out.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Doc,

and Jordan..... TCI lockup clutches tend to be ****, this is a very common occurance so just let us know how tci decides to resolve the issue.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

TCI/Daily Driver=Junk.... just my experience (and only a "couple" others as well) buy a VIG next time, put it on the CC..don't cheap out on a converter, well you know that now..Good Luck, TCI didn't do **** for me.. mine lasted 2 weeks & 175mi, if that.. no Track runs..
Old 01-04-2007, 01:46 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doc

x2 you are a TOOL
Old 01-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Teching In

This thing took a dump after a fresh install on the test drive. Sounds like Jordan has a legitimate gripe.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Donald Trump or Homeless Cardboard Sign Guy: If you buy the thing, it should work correctly.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:00 AM

Please post the outcome in a new thread.

John