LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Automatic Transmission (https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission-13/)
-   -   Anybody tried a Torqueflite 727? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/644525-anybody-tried-torqueflite-727-a.html)

red fury 01-21-2007 12:31 PM

Anybody tried a Torqueflite 727?

Have any of you seen this done in a f-body?

MRZ28 01-21-2007 07:57 PM

Im interested in this also....TTT for any info

6techniques 01-21-2007 08:15 PM

oh no, and stray away from the "almighty pair" known as the pg and th400??? Im curious about this as well.

firebirdls1us 01-21-2007 08:17 PM

a moper tranny I had the 727 tf in several mopars I use to have very tough tranny.never had any trouble with mopar trans. 68 charger,69 charger r/t,70 challenger 440 six pack, all had 727 tf.

chris718 01-21-2007 10:04 PM

with the quality of the gm 3 speeds i dont think nothing could be more foolish.the TF series units are poor choices.you would need a custom converter and or flywheel,driveshaft ,x member etc and still be stuck with a poor transmission.

red fury 01-22-2007 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by chris718
the TF series units are poor choices.you would need a custom converter and or flywheel,driveshaft ,x member etc and still be stuck with a poor transmission.

Yeah it would take a few custom parts......but about the "poor transmission" my father has one sitting behind his 541ci stroker in a 69 GTX drag car that takes large doses of N20 to boot. If it works for that setup I am sure it could work for us.

firebirdls1us 01-22-2007 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by chris718
with the quality of the gm 3 speeds i dont think nothing could be more foolish.the TF series units are poor choices.you would need a custom converter and or flywheel,driveshaft ,x member etc and still be stuck with a poor transmission.

your right about having all the custom stuff to make it work......... but don't ever think the 727 built wont hold our cars lol I've had several mopars with way more torque than my ls1 and they would hold.In fact several mopars I had was in the range of 400 to 500 torque stock! And never had one go south.Now don't get me wrong nothing is going to last forever.Red Fury I also had a 68 gtx but it was only a 440 never owned a hemi but it was always a dream of mine back then..

performabuilt 01-22-2007 01:25 PM

Theres no problem with the transmissions they are excellent , but I don't think they are any better than the GM three speeds and it would take alot of modification to get one in and I doubt the results would be wroth the effort and expense .In fact if I was even going to consider such a swap I would probably go with the 518 and have overdrive its the exact same trans with overdrive gearing built into the tail housing

firebirdls1us 01-22-2007 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Theres no problem with the transmissions they are excellent , but I don't think they are any better than the GM three speeds and it would take alot of modification to get one in and I doubt the results would be wroth the effort and expense .In fact if I was even going to consider such a swap I would probably go with the 518 and have overdrive its the exact same trans with overdrive gearing built into the tail housing

Yeah your right if I was going any other route I would go with a 350 or 400 TH. myself. And I may have to one day but right now my 4l60e is holding well but I'm on my 3rd. lol

orangefun 01-22-2007 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by performabuilt

yep he is smart. +1

chris718 01-22-2007 06:13 PM

the design of the torqueflite is poor for drag race applications.a sprag and multiple disk clutch pack for 2 nd gear is way tougher than a band.also using a band for second results in engine braking in manual second gear when lifting the throttle.also the rear sprag never lives in a drag car with big balls without a $$$ bolt in type.and leaving the band on in manual 1 for drag cars bends the rear drum causing horsepower losses and delayed 1/2 ratio changes.high line pressure in transbrake applications flip the forward wave plate in the drum,the result no forward movement.the only thing i like about the torque flite is the screen type filter,by far the most efficient of its kind.if youve got a cherry why suck on a lemon?

red fury 01-23-2007 05:26 AM

thanks for the replys...... yall have answered the question.