Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny cooler leaking..what is everyone using for cooler lines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tranny cooler leaking..what is everyone using for cooler lines?

Like everyone said would happen, the line to my cooler is leaking. It's not bad, but I want to fix it before it gets worse. What's everyone using that works better? What lines and what clamps? Tried a search but didn't get any definitive answers. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just used the lines/clamps that came w/my B&M 14,400 btu cooler. The clamps may have "crushed" the hose. Is the hose squished through the clamps? May need to cut/ reclamp lines.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

You need to use Goodyear trans cooler hose (not that crap that B&M provides in their kit) because the walls are much thicker and the rubber better resists collapsing/compressing with clamping force, unlike the B&M line. Also the inside diameter of the Goodyear line is a little smaller than the B&M hose, so the fit is tighter on all fittings. For clamps, use fuel injection style clamps (not the worm gear type provided in the kit). And for any "rubber to rubber" hose connections, use a barbbed fitting inbetween.

This is how mine is. No leaks ever, in years.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You need to use Goodyear trans cooler hose (not that crap that B&M provides in their kit) because the walls are much thicker and the rubber better resists collapsing/compressing with clamping force, unlike the B&M line. Also the inside diameter of the Goodyear line is a little smaller than the B&M hose, so the fit is tighter on all fittings. For clamps, use fuel injection style clamps (not the worm gear type provided in the kit). And for any "rubber to rubber" hose connections, use a barbbed fitting inbetween.

This is how mine is. No leaks ever, in years.
That's what I was looking for. Where is the best place to get Goodyear hose? Also, any pics of fuel injection style clamps? I asked about them at the local Napa and they had no clue what I was talking about. I guess I'll be using a different auto store.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
That's what I was looking for. Where is the best place to get Goodyear hose? Also, any pics of fuel injection style clamps? I asked about them at the local Napa and they had no clue what I was talking about. I guess I'll be using a different auto store.

I go to an autoparts store chain called Murray’s. They have Goodyear trans cooler hose there, but I’m not sure if you have those stores in your area. Maybe Autozone might also stock the Goodyear brand? It’s easy to tell, because the hose will have the same Goodyear company font/logo on it that all other Goodyear products use.

As for the clamps, I can’t get any pics from where I’m at now, but I could take some pics from home later if you still need them....or maybe someone else could post some sooner. I call them “fuel injection” style because that’s what the packaging they come in usually says when I see ‘em on the shelf. It’s the type of clamp where the screw tightens into a nut, and the surface of the clamp itself is a solid round band (doesn’t have the slits like a worm gear clamp because the screw is secured with a nut instead) that compresses as you tighten the screw into the nut . I think I’ve also seen them called “high pressure” or “compression” clamps.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you still need pics later.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

That should do...I'll check Autozone and see what they have. Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:21 AM
TECH Junkie

I picked some of those clamps up at Ace Hardware. They were in the lawnmower section for mower fuel lines. Just a thought.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

I dont use any clamps at all All of the lines I made that are custom, use parker push-lok fittings and the appropriate rated hose
Old 01-25-2007, 03:23 PM
10 Second Club

well the hose that came with my B&M 24K works just fine
Old 01-25-2007, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by buffman
I dont use any clamps at all All of the lines I made that are custom, use parker push-lok fittings and the appropriate rated hose
Pics....more info?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

^^ well on your F-body Im not sure how the lines are run, but a lot of parker pushlok hose stuff is similiar to the aeroqiup socketless hose. Basically the stock lines run up to the front of the engine on my car as hardline, then they go to softlines, then back to hardline.

Earl's and Parker sell a special fitting that all you have to do it cut the metal line, add the fitting and the ferrel and put it togehter. On the other side is male 6an threads. Get a female 6an fitting with a 3/8" hose barb on it. If you use the special socketless hose, you'd install the hose and no hose clamps needed. Then you can just run soft line to your new cooler.. In my case, I ran the new line to an external transmission filter kit, then from that back into the radiator..
Old 01-25-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

i got the rubber lines on mine but a friend of mine wanted to use metal line, so i bent up some lines for him and put fittings on his cooler and he has never had a leak since, came out pretty good if i dont say so myself . it was kind of a pain but it did look good and it looks factory, just an idea, the rubber line will do just fine if you dont wanna go through all that
Old 01-26-2007, 06:05 AM
Staging Lane

Get some 5/16 brake line.
The kind with a metal coil on the outside.
It comes in various lengths and can be bent in any configuration without kinking.
Then your only rubber connection is only a few inches long.
The brake line has flared ends which help to hold it on once a good clamp has been installed.
On many transmissions the nuts are the same size at the transmission too.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Hey Hawk, how ya been?

I used stainless hose and aircraft fittings. For the stock line to the stainless hose I used a brass compression fitting to pipe thread adapter, then used the aircraft fittings and ss hose from there. I have zero leaks.

brass compression fitting to pipe thread:

Pipe thread coupling:

finally pipe to aircraft

I'm installing a larger cooler before summer hits and I'm going use the pushlock hose and fittings this time. Much easier to work with and substantially quicker to assemble.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

That's a lot of fittings

Use this: just make sure you know what size your hardline is:

http://www.mpsracing.com/products/ea...5Fadapters.asp

then you just need a 6an female threads with the proper size hose barb
Old 01-26-2007, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rokko
Hey Hawk, how ya been?

I used stainless hose and aircraft fittings. For the stock line to the stainless hose I used a brass compression fitting to pipe thread adapter, then used the aircraft fittings and ss hose from there. I have zero leaks.

brass compression fitting to pipe thread:

Pipe thread coupling:

finally pipe to aircraft

I'm installing a larger cooler before summer hits and I'm going use the pushlock hose and fittings this time. Much easier to work with and substantially quicker to assemble.
What's up Rokko.....looks like you have a nice setup there. I too am getting a bigger cooler in the near future. I'll probably redo it all at once. Thanks for the info.

And thanks to everyone else also....that's a lot of options and good info.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What size is the cooler hose that is shipped with B&M's tranny coolers? One of the hose with the hose clamp is leaking on mine. I'm gonna try the Goodyear hose.

5/16" or 3/8"?
Old 01-30-2007, 01:39 AM
10 Second Club

Well,.... After blowing my Tranny line for the 3rd time I completely did away with the
Factory Hard Lines to Rubber Hose. I Upgraded the entire system to 6AN Fittings to
NHRA Approved Steel Braided Hose Lines from the Tranny to the Cooler and back to
the Tranny. I used the B&M RV Cooler that is setup for 1/2 pipe fittings and
connected adapters from 1/2 NPT to 6AN. Works great and there NO LEAKS.
Since I also have the "Fast Toys Air Induction System" I couldn't actually put the
cooler in front of the condensor. So, I tucked it behind the Drivers side fog light
right where my pollution pump USE to be. It definitely tucks up nicely. If interested
in the setup shoot me a PM with your email address and I can send you a few pics for
better description.

BTW,... it was passed to me that due to running a Stall converter I'm building
greater line pressure than OEM requirements and therefore splitting the hoses.
Best way to eliminate the situation was to go with ALL Steel Braided Lines
and AN Fittings.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I go to an autoparts store chain called Murray’s.
+1 for Murray's!!!
hahaha

sorry - i'm always shopping there.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SLP 02 SS
Well,.... After blowing my Tranny line for the 3rd time I completely did away with the
Factory Hard Lines to Rubber Hose. I Upgraded the entire system to 6AN Fittings to
NHRA Approved Steel Braided Hose Lines from the Tranny to the Cooler and back to
the Tranny. I used the B&M RV Cooler that is setup for 1/2 pipe fittings and
connected adapters from 1/2 NPT to 6AN. Works great and there NO LEAKS.
Since I also have the "Fast Toys Air Induction System" I couldn't actually put the
cooler in front of the condensor. So, I tucked it behind the Drivers side fog light
right where my pollution pump USE to be. It definitely tucks up nicely. If interested
in the setup shoot me a PM with your email address and I can send you a few pics for
better description.

BTW,... it was passed to me that due to running a Stall converter I'm building
greater line pressure than OEM requirements and therefore splitting the hoses.
Best way to eliminate the situation was to go with ALL Steel Braided Lines
and AN Fittings.
I dont know about that one. I recall the transmission cooler lines running at a mere 17-20psi. If indeed a smaller diameter higher stall TC was generating more cooler line pressure it wouldnt be enough to split the stock hoses. Anywho, most replacement rubber hose is rated at well over 100psi. (parker pushlok I use is 250psi

Quick Reply: Tranny cooler leaking..what is everyone using for cooler lines?