Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1870 Code After Trans. Swap and New Converter

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P1870 Code After Trans. Swap and New Converter

I recently replaced my stock 4L60E that died after swapping to a better set of heads/bigger cam setup and have been happy with the results so far, but now I'm getting an SES code (P1870). From what I have read this is usually because of the transmission seeing slip, but the new transmission (which is a built Art Carr tranny) was out of my tuners car and worked flawlessly. Also, I sent my converter to Yank (SS 3800) and had it cleaned and checked before putting it back in the car.

I figure that there is a good chance since the problem started showing up when I got on hilly/curvy backroads and the converter would unlock frequently that it may be related to the transmission tune, expecailly since it seemed to stay locked good on level/open roads.

My tuner is out of town until next week, haven't discussed this with him yet, so I was hoping to find out some information/opinions on what could be causing this, what could cure it, and what all in the tune could be contributing to the converter not staying locked like it should.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

1870 code is caused when the converter locks and shows excessive slip . Or the converter is comanded to lock in fourth gear and it does not .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-08-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is the lock up on these a variable or fixed pressure? Wondering if the pressure can be changed in the tune.

The converter has been locking, but could be trying to lock and failing on occasion.

By the way, performabulit, nice customer service hours......well, for customers anyway.

Last edited by '99slobird; 03-08-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The percentage of lockup can be determined in the tune , Which is in a way controling presure to lockup , Unless the PWM has been disabled mechanically as we do our units in whick case lockup becomes a simple on and off operation ,

And yes customer service is a major priority for us we want people to know we are there when they need us ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-08-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I might have to check into that one, hopefully it is as easy as adjusting the percentage.

Thanks for the help, I'm really hoping that this is all the problem is. I'm ready to drive my car again, it's been a long winter, and the weather is getting nicer day by day.