Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

after built tranny & stall install spedo bouncing

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after built tranny & stall install spedo bouncing

2001 trans am a4, so tranny started slipping couple weeks ago...oh well didnt expect it to last long stock with my driving style. Anyways had it built by a local shop with a 3200 stall they said would handle 700hp...driving around town tranny felt good ,firm crisp shifts, hit the 1-2 at wot a few times new convertor was different than stock in a good way, like the higher rpm's all the time makes the exhaust louder first time on the freeway though going above 50mph caused the spedometer to start bouncing... around my approx speed but bouncing+-5-10mph also needle got more eratic faster i went until about 90mph which is as high as it would go even though i was in the top of 3rd prolly 120ish...so the spedo was not working thought no big deal till i did a street 1/4mi. attempt and in D bounced off the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift...checked fluid level first was good so is this something the shop did internal or could the speed reading being off affect the trannys computer telling it not to shift at wot becouse it thinks im only doin 60 when i hit the limiter in 2nd...also side note trying to enguage cruise control is difficult above 50mph and pointless becouse the engine revs with the spedo which is bouncing so doesent make for a verry smooth ride...
Old 03-30-2007, 07:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to get a tune......it will make driving it so much better in every way. Where you located?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The VSS signal (speedometer)will afect shift points as will the stall. Tuning may be the answer but the bouncing speedo it self sounds like either a BAD VSS or a ground issue.Both of which can affect shifts.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Teching In

modesto,california ya thought about a tune, hard to justify paying that much without anything physicaly being bolted on the car u know will make it faster..what could you expect in rwhp #'s what is the average rwhp & torque gained from a dyno tune? which is a question i have ...how many bolt ons do u need before a good dyno tune will really pay off? I still want a 25% underdrive,headers,high flow cats,and a cam within the year so i want to wait but some of those items are closer to a year away, so do u think a tune will help me with just a stall,lid,cat back,free mods and dr's
Old 03-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Teching In

the vss sounds like thats the problem because the cruise control is dictated by the vss and that would cause the reving with the spedo bouncing ...THANK YOU!! shop is to busy cant get to it till mid. next week, so is this an external electrical connection i can change myself or inside the tranny ? what does the part of the vss that goes bad or wasent installed correctly look like ?...
Old 03-30-2007, 07:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Its the little round black sensor in the tail housing

Call 888-744-6542