Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing tranny fluid bad for transmissions, lol?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing tranny fluid bad for transmissions, lol?

I just had to ask about this one. My boss at work tells me that the Chrystler dealer told him that there is never a need to replace the tranny fluid and filter in an automatic tranmission ever. I guess they told him also that changing the fluid and filter actually causes transmission damage. My boss believes this too and refuses to change the fluid in his van with like 90k on it. I told him hes an idiot, but he still thinks hes right. This is no suprise though since my boss also thinks that his stock 93 honda accord is quick and handles well too.

I wanna hear the consensus on this one.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im against that BS rumor. change it, dont be afraid to do your maintence. if tis really that far gone that a fitler and flush damages it, it was on tis way out before long anyhow

**BTW I had a thread on this a while back and the final decision on it was, do your damn maintence!
Old 04-08-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i would do the maintenance, I was just wondering what everyone elses reaction to this would be. I didnt know there was a thread on it before.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just read that other thread man, good read. My experience has been in my ford taurus. I dont think the trans fluid was ever changed until i changed it at 85K. It has been fine evfer since and i change it about every 25K.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

ive heard rumors (possibly urban legends) that changing fluid in a high milage tranny for the first time can actually drain some of the gunk holding the clutches together tightly causing it to slip..... unconfirmed at this time... someone call mythbusters
Old 04-09-2007, 06:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

If gunk is holding your tranny together then your **** is broke.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed mine regularly on the Camaro and about every 30 - 40k on my regular cars.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Your boss or the Chrysler dealer was probably just a little confused due to the fact that newer chrysler transmissions require a specific transmission fluid or they will be toast. I can't remember what the letter designation is on the bottle but the only places I could find it were the dealership & O'rielly's. I have a bottle at home I will check it out tonight for the letter designation. Just for the record I have always regularly changed fluid/filters in my transmissions ever since I have been driving & I have never had a failure.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

All i know is in my life time ive had 14 gm OD tranns and they all took a DUMP on me after fluid change. OD dont like it when you take what is holding it together out.....but with no OD like 350/400 trans change it when you like.....ON my 2000 camaro, changed fluid at 19,000 and at 25,000 miles slip slip.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

like tainted said do your freakn maintenance. if you have a ton of mileage on your transmition and havent ever changed and flushed it when you do that gunk very well could be holding your transmition together. However if it is you probly are screwd. was it the maintenance that did it. No !
Old 04-09-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

I have no idea either way. But the theory I heard is that as the clutch material wears, the particles are suspended in the fluid, and that it acts as a friction modifier to maintain grip. Not sure that I believe it, but that's the theory.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Launching!

When I worked at Ford our best transmission mechanic preached religiously on not changing fluid after 80k; he called it "the kiss of death".
Old 04-10-2007, 03:57 PM
FormerVendor

It's not the 100,000 mile transmission service that's the problem . It's the 100,000 miles that came first !!!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bitchncamaro
All i know is in my life time ive had 14 gm OD tranns and they all took a DUMP on me after fluid change. OD dont like it when you take what is holding it together out.....but with no OD like 350/400 trans change it when you like.....ON my 2000 camaro, changed fluid at 19,000 and at 25,000 miles slip slip.
Overdrive works like any other gear in an automatic transmission. Clutches are clutches and bands are bands. Hell, the band that is applied for second gear in a 4L60E is the same band applied for fourth gear (a.k.a. Overdrive). Please, stop adding to this stupid urban legend/myth. If you don't understand how an automatic transmission works how can you possibly give an intelligent response to the question? You're just spreading ingnorance!

You know how this whole retarded myth came about? Years ago the typical automatic transmission used good ole' Type F fluid. That's what we had then and that's what we used. Type F has a nasty habbit of becomming oxidized and leaving behind a sort of film or varnish which builds up on all the internal parts of the transmission. Not such a problem untill the introduction of new transmission fluids like Dexron and Mercon. Newer fluids contain large amounts of detergents. What started happening was people would replace their Type F fluid with newer, high detergent, Dexron when they did a fluid change. The detergents in the newer fluid would break down the varnish build up caused by the older Type F fluid which would cause clogged filters, stuck valves in the valve body, or stuck governors (we don't really have governor shifted transmissions anymore). Since all new cars use newer fluids it's really not much of a concern anymore.

Further more, if the transmission needed particles of worn friction material to act as a "friction modifier" in order to shift then why doesn't the factory send transmissions out the door with used fluid in them? Transmission fluid breaks down under heat, period! Change it.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Wow thanks for the info I am just say"n what i 've gone throu iam not sayn iam a trans builder, i just speend money to get them built and beat the crap out of it. and on the non-ODvsOD you might be right but every non-OD I have better luck then with OD.You must build trans with that info ,but i drive the **** out of them

Last edited by bitchncamaro; 04-10-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

If its changed regularly it will never get to the state where a fluid change can cause the sudden death of the transmission. Buying a used car means you probably will never know those kinds of details. Myself, having an expensive aftermarket transmission will definetely keep the fluid fresh.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

the theory that the gunk holds it together may be true. but the theory is if you do your ******* maintence liek your supposed to since these people can wax a car for 6 hours straight but cant have a tranny flush is b/s. if its thatf ar gone that a routine maintence thing kills it, you were screwed from the start
Old 04-12-2007, 03:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got my car with 55k and put 25k more in the last year without a fluid change. the car didn't seem like it got beat on much if at all until i got it. but i've been beating on it a bit. i don't have any noticeable slips now. fluid looks ok but not like new. i've been putting off a tc install because i was worried about the fluid holding parts together. i've been waiting for my trans to fail so i can swap it and get the tc in. so is the fluid holding parts together a theory or fact?

can some of you who have changed your fluid for the first time after 60k chime in?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont recomend servicing a trans with more than 100k on it. trans fluid is highly detergent and could wash away any clutch fragments that in between the clutches and start to slip. it all depends on the condition of the trans. if it was well maintained ie serviced like it was supposed to be like every 30k and the fluid looks okay. i will other than that you could see issues from servicing a trans with high mileage. i work at a chevy dealer. our trans tech is very adimit about that. sevicing a high mile trans could or will cause a faliure down the road.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I changed the fluid in my 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee trans and it took a crap less than a week later, at 83K miles. Go figure. That trans is notorious for crapping out at 80-90K miles though.