Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screwed up tranny in new car?

Old 04-11-2007, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Screwed up tranny in new car?

I just got a A4 '93 Z28 with 135k miles on it. It seems like it's in veru good mechanical shape except for one thing I'm not sure about. The transmission has some strange stuff happening with it. He said it was rebuilt at 118k, so only 17k ago.

First is, when you go back and forth between R and D it SLAMS back and forth like something is loose and letting it slip and then engages almost immediately. Not smooth like my TA.

Second is, most of the time when you hit the gas (I did this a few times on my way back from buying it, and then seafoamed it so I got to do it some more ) it almost always goes into the gear that puts it around 3k rpm. I was going like 50 for example and hit it, and it goes into I would assume 3rd gear. I jumped to about 3k rpm and let me accelerate in that same gear all the way to 110 where I let off, and it still had more it in. It feels really slow down there at 3k, so i don't like that. It is pretty quick up high though .

Last thing. When it does get to just the right speed so that when you hit it it does into a lower gear like it should the rpm's will fly up almost to the redline (not bouncing off the rev limiter though) for like a half a second and the fall down about 500 or something to where they should be. Then it really takes off . Anyway, I don't know if that means it's slipping or what is going on. When I did that I was going slower, like say 30 I think.

Edit: One other thing I forgot to mention, during normal driving it shifts a lot firmer than my TA also.

So what do you think? I have never driven a car with the tranny that came in the '93s, only the 4L60E in my TA, so I don't know if they just behave differently, or if there really is something wrong.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Speedmonster185; 04-11-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont thnk theres anything wrong , The builder may have chosen to leave out the cushion plates in The forward clutch and or the reverse input clutch which could explain the agressivness into drive , But again the control programing for the early cars was also qiute a bit different on how down shifts ocurred, Presure control , Ect as the 93 is a hydraulic unit and TV cable Not PCM controlled. But based on my experince with these older units it sounds like its working correctly and likley has some sort of shift kit installed also. But it will feel very different from your 2000

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 04-11-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, that's good news. Thanks . I only got to drive it once, and not very hard since he was with me, so I felt it slam into R/D while backing out, and felt it shift firm, but I didn't know about the other stuff until I got to drive it a bit harder.

Anyway, thanks. If anyone has another opinon let me know.

Search this Thread